Subject: this is my first COIN game, I want more! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play euros, and I play wargames, and not knowing enough about the COIN rules (it was difficult to get an impression of the game from the reviews I'd seen on the Geek), I quietly passed on the series thinking "I play euros, and I play wargames, why do I want a hybrid-wargame-with-eurocubes?" -forgive the short-sightedness.

That all changed when Falling Sky came out, I just couldn't resist the theme, and in I plunged. So glad I did. This thing oozes theme and mechanics that just click together. And to the extent that I wonder how the other games fair. How can the relationship between theme and mechanics get any better in other COIN games?

I'm only a couple of reads through the first half of the rulebook, and going through the playbook, but I'm thinking about my next COIN game.

LoD is not my theme of choice, and FinL has been called quite complex, so it's a toss-up between the other three, with a theme preference for Distant Plain.

Which of the three would you chose as a second game if Falling Sky had been your first? Which has the tightest theme/mechanics link?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're all good, just pick the theme you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned a theme preference for ADP; that'd be my recommendation.

Unfortunately, I probably give LoD the nod for tightest to theme and mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Freda
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
As others have said, any or ALL! My favorite is Fire in the Lake, as I'm of the age of the Vietnam vet. It's a bit more complex but oozes atmosphere (at least for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in ADP, I would highly suggest that as your next COIN game. Not too complex and very thematic.

One of my favorite COIN games - although they're all pretty much my favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scrumpy Jack
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reemer wrote:
If you're interested in ADP, I would highly suggest that as your next COIN game. Not too complex and very thematic.

One of my favorite COIN games - although they're all pretty much my favorite. :)

I read somewhere that Falling Sky has more "combat" than other COIN games. I can't imagine the theme in ADP without combat. Is that the case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Walker
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
In terms of complexity, I don't think FitL and ADP are all that far apart. If you feel comfortable with the rules, you could go with either, but Falling Sky is probably not a good measure of your rules comfort, as it is missing several mechanisms found in those games (necessarily, given its time frame).

I don't think you can go wrong with Cuba Libre, especially if you're hoping to get other people to play with you (much simpler than many of the other games), and I wouldn't discount LoD, which is the most mechanically similar to FS (though the battles work differently).

tl;dr: I'd say if ADP is what interests you, then just go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Key
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuba Libre is a masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
reemer wrote:

I read somewhere that Falling Sky has more "combat" than other COIN games. I can't imagine the theme in ADP without combat. Is that the case?

There are different balances in each game; there's plenty of fighting in ADP but it's less involved than in LoD or FS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with CL, followed by FS and now going through ADP.
If you make it successfully through FS, I think the increment in difficulty to any other title in the series is small. So clearly you can go after the theme you like most, be it FitL or ADP or anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SJack wrote:
reemer wrote:

Most combat in Falling Sky represents set-piece battles between large field armies or sieges of walled citied/forts. ADP has very little of that, but OTOH it has plenty of air strikes, search-and-destroy operations, IED ambushes, heli-borne raids etc. that are utterly absent from Falling Sky

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.