$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Dream Home» Forums » General

Subject: Any good for serious gamers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
or is this mainly a "family game"?

Also does it play well with two?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1659696/vs-oceanos

Yes, it plays ok with two.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a "serious gamer"?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?

A gamer who worries whether a game is serious enough for them to play.
28 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?


Serious gamer = hobby gamer? He's asking if it's a game for families (with kids) or if it's a suitable game for experienced gamers (adults) and a game you might take to a game group or Meetup. He's wondering if it would be too light for that type of experienced gamers.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?

A gamer who worries whether a game is serious enough for them to play. ;)


Great definition :)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?

Someone that would NOT rather go out for a drink instead of playing and is not afraid of rules-heavy games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
japol wrote:
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?

Someone that would NOT rather go out for a drink instead of playing and is not afraid of rules-heavy games.

Would someone who only plays abstract strategy games like Chess, Shogi, Go, Hive, GIPF, Trax, Hex, etc with short simple minimalist rules therefore not be a "serious gamer", no matter how well and often they play them?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iasonas
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
japol wrote:
telos81 wrote:
What is a "serious gamer"?

Someone that would NOT rather go out for a drink instead of playing and is not afraid of rules-heavy games.

Would someone who only plays abstract strategy games like Chess, Shogi, Go, Hive, GIPF, Trax, Hex, etc with short simple minimalist rules therefore not be a "serious gamer", no matter how well and often they play them?

Sure he would,if he would play in a "serious" manner.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Appears good enough if the price range was $20. $33 for this simple game looks like too much for me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a very light game that is perfect as a gateway game or as a quick 30 minute filler in between longer, more serious games.

It is similar in weight to Sushi Go!.

I probably would not recommend it for someone who likes hardcore, brain-burning games. But as a short, simple distraction, it is a lot of fun.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bull
United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the defensive, knee-jerk reactions to the OP's simple question interesting. It seems, deep down, fans of lighter games are subconsciously afraid the relevance of their beloved games could be somehow invalidated by fans of heavier games.

As a self-confessed 'omni' gamer I don't have that problem. It's all good, baby cool
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
I found the defensive, knee-jerk reactions to the OP's simple question interesting. It seems, deep down, fans of lighter games are subconsciously afraid the relevance of their beloved games could be somehow invalidated by fans of heavier games.

As a self-confessed 'omni' gamer I don't have that problem. It's all good, baby cool


Yeah seriously, it's odd because it is a good question. If someone mainly plays with adults (for example at meet ups), then they might be looking for light fillers with some more depth than one geared towards families and kids. I for one am also looking forward to trying out Dream Home because I think it looks like a nice filler+ game, but I do want to try first to be sure it's not too light for experienced gamers to enjoy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
katanan wrote:
GameplayerOfTitan wrote:
I found the defensive, knee-jerk reactions to the OP's simple question interesting. It seems, deep down, fans of lighter games are subconsciously afraid the relevance of their beloved games could be somehow invalidated by fans of heavier games.

As a self-confessed 'omni' gamer I don't have that problem. It's all good, baby cool


Yeah seriously, it's odd because it is a good question. If someone mainly plays with adults (for example at meet ups), then they might be looking for light fillers with some more depth than one geared towards families and kids. I for one am also looking forward to trying out Dream Home because I think it looks like a nice filler+ game, but I do want to try first to be sure it's not too light for experienced gamers to enjoy.

it's the use of the term "serious" that doesn't make sense. "serious" is a completely subjective and unqualifiable term to describe a board game. notice that neither of you (posters quoted herein) used the word "serious"

qualifiable aspects of a game that we can easily discuss include, but are not limited to things like: weight, luck, depth, time of play, player count, player interaction, etc ... a game just can't be qualified as "serious"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Wooden
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
telos81 wrote:

it's the use of the term "serious" that doesn't make sense. "serious" is a completely subjective and unqualifiable term to describe a board game. notice that neither of you (posters quoted herein) used the word "serious"

qualifiable aspects of a game that we can easily discuss include, but are not limited to things like: weight, luck, depth, time of play, player count, player interaction, etc ... a game just can't be qualified as "serious"

To be fair to the OP, he used the adjective 'serious' in reference to a gamer, not the game itself. And one of the definitions of serious is "deeply interested or involved", with the example given of a 'serious golfer.' Therefore, I believe that the term 'serious gamer' is acceptable, to refer to someone who is deeply interested or involved in gaming, rather than a 'casual' gamer.

Of course, it could be argued that one could be a 'serious gamer' but still just play light games, which would negate his original comparison of a 'serious gamer' as opposed to one who just plays family games...shake

Anyway, enough of semantics - in answer to the original question, I think that Dream Home fits into that nice category of family game (easy to explain and understand, and quick to play, with lovely artwork) or super-filler (30 mins to kill and want to play something with a few meaningful choices).

However, if your usual gaming fare is Age of Steam or Through the Ages, then Dream Home may not be the one for you....
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.