Subject: Help with rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Linde
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hi. I bought LOTR-RISK for xmas for me, wife & daughter to play but don't understand the rules (we've never played this type of game before).

Can someone answer a few questions:
1. In Combat play, if I attack from Territory1 into T2, lose batallions and cannot continue the attack, what happens to batallions left in T2?

2. I guess conquering a territory means you wipe out all the opposition's batallions in that territory. Yes?

3. If I conquer a territory (eg T2 from T1), rules say I can 'go on and attack another neighborouring territory'. Does this mean I can attack any neighbouring territory, any territory neighbouring T2, or any territory neighbouring T1?

4. How do I use a leader in attack? Do I just move it from T1 to T2, strengthening future attacks? Does the leader count as one of the batallions (dice throws) moved in an attack?

Thanks in advance for help,
Tony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Help with rules
tonylinde (#24441),

> 1. In Combat play, if I attack from Territory1 into T2,
> lose batallions and cannot continue the attack, what
> happens to batallions left in T2 ?

I will presume you are talking about your Battalions.
During an attack you do not actually move your forces from T1 into defending T2. They stay in T1 and attack from there. They only move into T2 if you successfully conquer it.

> 2. I guess conquering a territory means you wipe out all > the opposition's batallions in that territory. Yes?

Yes, that's correct.

> 3. If I conquer a territory (eg T2 from T1), rules say I > can 'go on and attack another neighborouring territory'. > Does this mean I can attack any neighbouring territory,
> any territory neighbouring T2, or any territory
> neighbouring T1?

Basically, as long as you have at least 2 battalions in any of your territories, those territories can attack any adjacent enemy territory, as long as it isn't seperated by mountains and, if bordered by a river, is joined by a bridge.

What that rule is refering to, though, is that after conquering T2 and moving your forces into it, you can now attack from T2 to T3, which is adjacent to T2 but not to T1.

In this way, you could attack from T1 to T2 to T3 to T4... and conquer your way clear across the board if you had the combat forces available to do so.

> 4. How do I use a leader in attack? Do I just move it
> from T1 to T2, strengthening future attacks? Does the
> leader count as one of the batallions (dice throws) moved > in an attack?

Leaders move in one of two ways:
During the Combat Phase, they must be moved along with at least one battalion as part of a move into a just-conquered territory.

During the Redeployment phase, they may be moved either with battalions or by themselves from it's current territory into any other territory connected by territories you own.

Again, none of your forces (battalions or leaders) are moved at all as part of an attack. They stay in the territory they are attacking from, and you simply specify where they are attacking and how many battalions are participating in the attack.

A leader does not count as a battalion in it's own right as far as combat or territory occupation is concerned. It adds 1 to your highest rolled combat dice when either attacking or defending. It doesn't count against your dice throws, so you could have a maximum of 3 Battalions and 1 Leader in any single attack.

Also, a Leader cannot hold a territory by itself. If all battalions in it's territory are defeated, the leader is immediately removed.

Mike Evans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Linde
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mevans444 (#24471),
Many thanks, Mark. We played last night with friends who'd played normal risk before and figured out 1, 2 & 4. But we only allowed continued attacks from the conquered territory.

If I understand you correctly, during combat phase I can attack from any of my territories with >1 battalion into any other. Yes?

I think the rules say I can move battalions from the conquering to the conquered territory but can I move any other troops during combat phase? And if so, how and when?

Cheers,
Tony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Evans
Canada
Nobleton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonylinde (#24481),

> If I understand you correctly, during combat phase I can > attack from any of my territories with >1 battalion into > any other. Yes?

Yes. A Territory must have at least 2 Battalions within it to allow an attack.
This is because you must have at least 1 battalion in each territory you currently own. You may never voluntarily leave one of your territories empty by moving the last remaining army out after combat or during redeployment.

If you recheck the rules under combat, you'll see that they specify that at least one battalion in a territory cannot participate in an attack.
So if you have 1 battalion in the territory, no attack is allowed. With 2 battalions, you may attack with 1 battalion, 3 battalions can attack with 2, and 4 or more can attack with the maximum of 3.
Once a group of battalions are reduced to 1 as a result of
combat losses, you must immediately stop attacking with that group.

> I think the rules say I can move battalions from the
> conquering to the conquered territory but can I move any > other troops during combat phase? And if so, how and
> when?

No battalions (or leaders) are ever moved during the Combat Phase except by your attacking forces entering a conquered territory.
Any other troops not involved in an attack must stay where
they are.

The only other way to move battalions is after all your
combat is over, and you perform one Redeployment during the
Redeployment Phase.

Mike (not Mark) Evans :1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.