Subject: Bombing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Naut
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm just curious to hear if other people use strategic bombing much. I went unused in our group until significantly beefed up with house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It isn't used much but it has the potential to be devastating as is. More often, it forces the Axis (typically) to devote more production to aircraft than they would like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think devoting a tech card combo to precision bombsight may have been a mistake. That may be too high a hurdle for a questionable investment strategy.

A long range aircraft tech (alone) may have been better, as it could have desireable impacts on other areas. Although without the midatlantic gap, the need is less there too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Rice
United Kingdom
Beckenham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

It can be a potential game winner if you have a reasonably peaceful game. Think 1945 surprise strategic bombing (having kept it in the vault). Could be the 1 or 2 point difference needed to swing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim P.
United States
Thousand Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
Visit the Wargame Bootcamp guild
badge
Muppet !
mbmbmbmbmb

In an otherwise very peaceful game, war did not breakout until '45, as Germany I took the long range bombers and precision bombers because I could.

3 full strength aircraft blocks bombed an undefended Moscow, 3 hits on the Soviets Industry won me the game, Germany ended with 21 points while the other two had 20.

The look on the Soviet players face was perfect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Williams
Australia
Googong
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm yet to see it. I have no doubt it could be handy but the reality that has to be accounted for is wether it is worth it?

How many tech cards have to be paid for to get it? Is the 2 movement of air units practicable and if the likely answer is no now you need another umpteen tech cards to get Heavy Bombers. On top of that you need significant air assets built up and in position to make a raid worthwhile - so we're already talking many years of production for this one "roll 1's" objective.

I think my view is so much more can be achieved with the production expenditure. Meaning that I can see how it could be used and even useful, but in the overall scheme of things it doesn't represent anything close to a good cost benefit ratio. Even less if when you try to pull it off you run into a Fortress and an air unit.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Practically speaking, the West in particular will be cycling through a LOT of investment cards anyway. They have a lot of room to cherry-pick by spending those that don't give them useful techs for IND.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Naut
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Thank you for the responses.

Our house rule is Bombers at range two hit on 1-2. Heavy Bombers at range two hit on 1-2-3. Heavy Bombers at range three hit on 1-2.

We place our divide our Peace Dividends on the map after drawing them.

West: London Paris London Paris London Paris London Paris London Paris. West also starts with 1 PD each in London and Paris.

USSR: Moscow Leningrad Kiev Baku Moscow Leningrad Kiev Baku Moscow Leningrad

Axis: Berlin Ruhr Rome Berlin Ruhr Rome Berlin Ruhr Rome Berlin

Even without Precision Bombsights, Bombers can terror bomb Peace Dividends, hitting them on a 1 or 2. Heavy Bombers hit them on a 1-2-3 at range two, and at 1-2 at range three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Johnson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
edan wrote:
Thank you for the responses.

Our house rule is Bombers at range two hit on 1-2. Heavy Bombers at range two hit on 1-2-3. Heavy Bombers at range three hit on 1-2.

I don't recommend this... We have seen several games were the standard rule has swung the win.

Every point of damage to industry is typically a VP at the end of the game. Even hitting on only 1's, a small force of air can easily to a couple/few VPs worth of damage.

Allowing these to hit on 1-2/1-3 is totally game changing, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.