$20.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » General

Subject: Changes over previous editions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I've bought the year one promo pack and united expansion at Essen. Some details caught my attention and surprised me. I haven't read about them here. But maybe I've simply missed something:

- in both united and the promo pack they've changed the orientation of the bases regarding to the back. I'm not that happy with this ...
- Star Market costs 5 now, but they haven't changed the other very strong promos like The Ark or Breeding Site ...
- The year one promos have different art than in their first editions.

Anyone can enlighten me what happened regarding the first two points?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Alberto Souza
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:

- in both united and the promo pack they've changed the orientation of the bases regarding to the back. I'm not that happy with this ...


THIS MUST BE WRONG

Why, White Wizard? Why?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please tell me they buffed Fleet HQ...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
leobetosouza wrote:
Califax wrote:

- in both united and the promo pack they've changed the orientation of the bases regarding to the back. I'm not that happy with this ...


THIS MUST BE WRONG

Why, White Wizard? Why?


Maybe, they are trying to sell more Star Realms sleeves. With those you don't have a problem. With clear sleeves, that I am using, well ... it's a bit messy at the very least.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
So what's the old orientation and the new one? I have the French version (by iello) and I'm wondering what they picked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old orientation is where the "Star Realms" logo text is readable when the card is taller. This matches the orientation on the front of the ship cards.

It sounds like they have rotated it so the text is readable when the card is longer (i.e. sideways) which matches the front orientation of base cards. It is also described as only being changed on the back of bases, not all of the cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
ras2124 wrote:
The old orientation is where the "Star Realms" logo text is readable when the card is taller. This matches the orientation on the front of the ship cards.

It sounds like they have rotated it so the text is readable when the card is longer (i.e. sideways) which matches the front orientation of base cards. It is also described as only being changed on the back of bases, not all of the cards.


No, they rotated the bases only: 180 degrees. So when you play them and pick up an old one and a new one the same way, the back of one of the cards would be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other. I will post an image later.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Califax wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
The old orientation is where the "Star Realms" logo text is readable when the card is taller. This matches the orientation on the front of the ship cards.

It sounds like they have rotated it so the text is readable when the card is longer (i.e. sideways) which matches the front orientation of base cards. It is also described as only being changed on the back of bases, not all of the cards.


No, they rotated the bases only: 180 degrees. So when you play them and pick up an old one and a new one the same way, the back of one of the cards would be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other. I will post an image later.
Oh. Possibly an oversight, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal. From your original post, I got the impression that it was on a 90 degree change which would be much worse.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. O. Schaefer
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
ras2124 wrote:
Califax wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
The old orientation is where the "Star Realms" logo text is readable when the card is taller. This matches the orientation on the front of the ship cards.

It sounds like they have rotated it so the text is readable when the card is longer (i.e. sideways) which matches the front orientation of base cards. It is also described as only being changed on the back of bases, not all of the cards.


No, they rotated the bases only: 180 degrees. So when you play them and pick up an old one and a new one the same way, the back of one of the cards would be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other. I will post an image later.
Oh. Possibly an oversight, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal. From your original post, I got the impression that it was on a 90 degree change which would be much worse.


It is annoying when you want to do a sleeve shuffle. For this you want the sleeves to have the same orientation. Otherwise they will wear off quickly.

Obviously you can still sort the cards by back for shuffling which is what you usually do. But picking up the cards for this purpose becomes much less intutive. It was already counterintuitve whith ships vs. bases. Now you have ships vs. old bases vs. new bases.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwan
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
ras2124 wrote:
Califax wrote:
ras2124 wrote:
The old orientation is where the "Star Realms" logo text is readable when the card is taller. This matches the orientation on the front of the ship cards.

It sounds like they have rotated it so the text is readable when the card is longer (i.e. sideways) which matches the front orientation of base cards. It is also described as only being changed on the back of bases, not all of the cards.


No, they rotated the bases only: 180 degrees. So when you play them and pick up an old one and a new one the same way, the back of one of the cards would be rotated 180 degrees compared to the other. I will post an image later.
Oh. Possibly an oversight, but that doesn't seem like a huge deal. From your original post, I got the impression that it was on a 90 degree change which would be much worse.


It would have been worse to do a 90 degrees rotation, I assume they wouldn't have done such a breaking change.

What they did is a bit annoying for people with no sleeve, very annoying for people with clear sleeves, and not a problem for people with opaque sleeves.

I don't know why they did it, but I did find the original orientation a bit unnatural when I got the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kolok
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, back issue thoroughly discussed, can we get to the other - IMO more important - topics a little bit?
(For the record I also do find the orientation thing quite a bit annoying having clear sleeves myself.)

Such as... if Starmarket could be tinkered with... (and rightfully so) ...what on Earth hindered that to be done the other ones in need of that?

BTW with the new Starmarket we have the first instance of a non-unique 5-cost card (there're still 2 of them, Starmarkets I mean). I also wonder if they also change it in the app?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.