Subject: Turns per player as a function of player count rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm only going to talk about the number of turns per player before the end game turns start.

In the 4p game there are 20 spaces for the gardener to move through. The gardener starts at 1, so must move through 5*20=100 spaces to increment to 6 and start the end game. This means each player has 25 turns before the end game starts.

3p results in 26 turns each (note the target space is different than the starting space).

2p results in 32 turns each (note the die starts on 2).

The 4p and 3p games are very similar. It's interesting to note that the target space could have been moved to make 3p exactly the same 4p but wasn't for some reason. The 2p game is wildly different. If the die started on 3 instead each player would have 24 turns.

I'm wondering if the 2p game feels less tense as a result. You have a lot more turns to accomplish your goals in this version.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has played both 2p and multiplayer. Did you notice a difference?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting observation!

It's important to consider that total number of turns is only one part of the equation. You could play 2 players on the 4-player side and enter the final round when the gardener has moved 50 spaces, but the game might feel very different. Though the total number of turns per player would be the same, the ebb and flow of the central market would only correspond to the first half of a 4-player game. I suspect the interplay between these two aspects may have guided some of the decisions regarding player count differences.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the 2p game feels less tense as a result.

I do suspect that Cottage Garden is a game that will never feel tense. My feeling thus far is that success is mostly down to a combination of luck mitigation and shaving grams off your plans to improve overall efficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea there is definitely something about the rate of refill of the central market affecting the 2p game. It's hard to get a handle on this without having played it.

Tension was perhaps the wrong word to describe what I meant. Due to the abundance of turns in 2p I'm thinking that you will have more time to move the cubes and accomplish your goals. If you have too much time you will get all three cubes of both colours off the starting space, advance several of them to 20 and most of them past the kitten line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.