5 Posts

The Walking Dead: All Out War» Forums » General

Subject: Project z vs all out war rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. Goldfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the license, what is the difference between the two games? They look very similar in what they are trying to accomplish. I know project z has you put the minis together and all out war's minis are already put together. I know there are a few more things like the panic die, zombie template, cards with attributes. I was thinking about getting one of the 2. I am just not sure which one is better. I have never read any of the walking dead comics either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
I don't remember much about Project Z as I skimmed the rules a long time ago but I prefer Romero-style zombie apocalypse (all the zombies are basically the same shambling undead corpses) to the mutated or more conscious forms of zombies that you see in Project Z or Zombicide.

I also like the AI Walking Dead built for the zombies as opposed to Project Z (I think each player controls them on their turn or something similar to that).

Walking dead has a light campaign system and mechanics for improving character stats over time. They also include rules for building your own customized survivor.

Mantic also planned to do competitive vs games and have a tournament scene (remains to be seen of course since the game isn't out yet). I would imagine they would like this to be their "X-wing miniatures game."

I don't know if Project Z has either the campaign and custom character element or a tournament style play environment in the works. Project Z seems more straight up miniatures game complete with miniatures on sprues that you need to cut out, trim, and put together. As you already pointed out, Mantic already has the model put together and complete. You pay more for those models so if you like figures as model kits and have the time/patience, you might prefer that route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Goldfinger
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I am just not sure. I may wait for some reviews of all out war before I decide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Buhr
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't look at both games. I was pretty convinced by the game mechanics of TWD upon trying it at an event and I love Robert Kirkman's walker IP.
You have generic Zombies in so many games now. Even
Spoiler (click to reveal)
COdA
is essentially a zombie virus. And Kirkman's idea that the Zombies are really a penalty to everything in a world that pits humans against humans and not this idealized holywood human vs. zombies scenario, this idea that it is the survivors and not the zombies, who are really the walking dead, is captured beautifully in the game.
The only Zombie game I ever liked as much was Dead of Winter. And that one is not really about Zombies either.

o7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Linden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NjordVanir wrote:
I didn't look at both games. I was pretty convinced by the game mechanics of TWD upon trying it at an event and I love Robert Kirkman's walker IP.
You have generic Zombies in so many games now. Even
Spoiler (click to reveal)
COdA
is essentially a zombie virus. And Kirkman's idea that the Zombies are really a penalty to everything in a world that pits humans against humans and not this idealized holywood human vs. zombies scenario, this idea that it is the survivors and not the zombies, who are really the walking dead, is captured beautifully in the game.
The only Zombie game I ever liked as much was Dead of Winter. And that one is not really about Zombies either.

o7

Project Z is also groups of survivors against each other, with zombies thrown into the mix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.