Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vote for the Expansion you would like to see next!

Poll: Next Expansion Poll
What should be the next Expansion civilization?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Tholian Assembly
11.2% 15
Gorn Hegemony
11.9% 16
Orion Syndicate
3.0% 4
Vulcan High Command
6.0% 8
Andorian Imperial Guard
4.5% 6
Tellarite Congress
0.7% 1
Terran Empire
4.5% 6
Sheliak Corporate
1.5% 2
Tzenkethi Coalition
0.0% 0
Nyberrite Alliance
0.0% 0
Talarian Republic
0.0% 0
Breen Confederacy
8.2% 11
Borg NPC
32.1% 43
Dominion NPC
11.2% 15
Krenim Imperium
0.7% 1
Kazon Sects
0.0% 0
Fen Domar Theocracy
0.0% 0
Other? (List)
4.5% 6
Voters 134
This poll is now closed.   134 answers
Poll created by Jatta Pake
Closes: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that the United Federation of Planets is already a faction, so the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites and a host of other "minor" species are already part of the continuum in the STA universe. I don't think it's the intent of GF9 to include them as separate factions.

You might consider adjusting your poll choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would really like to see a Borg expansion you could actually play as. I'm not well versed in the game yet (my copy is on the slow-as-change-in-the-Klingon-Empire SmartPost having JUST arrived at Miniature Market and I didn't want to get myself too excited by reading the rules online when I couldn't rip open the box and play) but I know that there has to be some interaction amongst civilizations. It'd be interesting to have a different Endgame (see what I did there?) scenario for them, though, that would be thematic but, somehow, not break the game. It'd also be neat for there to be rare possibilities to go against the "norm" and deal with the Borg (think Janeway's deal re: Species 8472).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fed Aykin

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
Remember that the United Federation of Planets is already a faction, so the Vulcans, Andorians, Tellarites and a host of other "minor" species are already part of the continuum in the STA universe. I don't think it's the intent of GF9 to include them as separate factions.

I think it would be very strange to have a Vulcan faction potentially fighting against the Federation; I think they're doing the right thing so far in introducing factions that are historically out for themselves and not Federation members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
They said they have 10 total factions worked out. I'm assuming they will be bringing in stuff from Gamma and Delta Quadrants so factions like the Kazon would work. But there's not much known about them since they were really only in the first season of Voyager.

The obvious ones are Tholian, Gorn, Orion, & Breen. Though they've never really been fleshed out from a civilization point of view. They've been adversaries but a lot of background will have to be made up. But there's probably a lot more info in the various novels.

I think Tholians and Gorn will most likely get released soonish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
tommygunn2011 wrote:

I think it would be very strange to have a Vulcan faction potentially fighting against the Federation; I think they're doing the right thing so far in introducing factions that are historically out for themselves and not Federation members.

In early interviews they said that they were working on Andorians so there's the possibility that United Federation of Planets counts as just humans in this game. There's certainly enough material available to do Vulcans as a separate race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Fedaykin98 wrote:
tommygunn2011 wrote:

This argument has been hashed and rehashed. If you play and say the game takes place in ENT era, then it's perfectly fine. Also if you say it's an alternate universe, that also work completely fine. Or an offshoot. Or an alternate faction. Etc. And yes, we've already heard the complaint "well it should be just Earth or Starfleet instead of the Federation then."
Remember, the game is skinned as TNG but it takes place in any era of Trek you want it to. (And each turn represents 10 years of development).

Also a GF9 representative mentioned the idea that species like the Andorians could be a playable race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vulcan, Andorian and Borg please. Not interested in races from DS9 and Voyager. Gorn and Orion I think are from earlier Star Trek as well so I would buy those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John1701 wrote:

Also a GF9 representative mentioned the idea that species like the Andorians could be a playable race.

Yes, that is why they are included in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just noticed the Terran Empire on the list. It would be pretty cool to have a mirror universe aspect to the game - maybe a way of traveling from one universe to the other. ("Normal" Cardassians going into the mirror universe to subjugate it, anyone?")

Also, how about Sybok?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see the Tholians next, because I think they could have some really cool mechanics with webs.

Gorn, Breen and the Terran Empire are also high up on my list for player factions, but it might be nice to get the Borg/Dominion NPCs to mix things up before they move on.

I don't really have much interest in Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite factions. It's weird thematically to have them fighting the Federation. You could justify it as some AU scenario, but it's still a little weird.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob W

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:
I'd love to see the Tholians next, because I think they could have some really cool mechanics with webs.

Gorn, Breen and the Terran Empire are also high up on my list for player factions, but it might be nice to get the Borg/Dominion NPCs to mix things up before they move on.

I don't really have much interest in Vulcan/Andorian/Tellarite factions. It's weird thematically to have them fighting the Federation. You could justify it as some AU scenario, but it's still a little weird.

Well, you could say you were just rescaling the game to one turn equals one year, and then you could be playing out which society will become the focal point of the Federation at it's creation.

Just an idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Summers
msg tools
I voted Dominion but I'd prefer a regular player expansion. Too fleshed out to waste on a NPC, I mean if you were tasked with creating a pro, a con, a technology deck, they're the next best well known faction.

I wouldn't mind seeing Vulcans. If the start of the game is loosely when the three races set out, then it's an alternate timeline where they don't join the Federation. I mean the Klingons invaded Risa in my last game, did that happen on the show?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul Schwartz

Lockport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
where are the pakleds on the list they are my favorites so different

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beek Man wrote:
where are the pakleds on the list they are my favorites so different

They could be a very interesting civ to play! The major drawback to including them as a stand alone expansion is the lack of information about them. What is their home planet called? We know the Kalla system is in Pakled space, but I don't think Kalla III was ever confirmed as their homeworld. I believe it was just a mining colony. We also don't know anything about their government.

But we do know they are traders and specialize in acquiring the culture and research of others. They could have very interesting mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveSumm wrote:
I voted Dominion but I'd prefer a regular player expansion.

I agree with preferring them as a regular player expansion. For the purposes of this poll, I listed them as NPC because it is rumored that is how GF9 plans to introduce them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sassycat wrote:

Since they are specifically mentioned on one of the cards, you're likely to get your wish.

(I don't remember the card, but it said something like "Tholians ignore this.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Neumann
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gorn, Tholians, Dominion and Borg
<3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself more interested in races that will vary game play (Ferenghi over Cardassians), rather than just my personal favorites or proper Trek continuity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it will never happen, but I wish they could pull some of the more alien races from the cartoon and books. I'd probably be in the minority, but I'd get a big kick out of seeing the old cartoon art on a race or exploration card.

Aside from that, I honestly don't care. If anything, the less that's known about the race, the better. Trek fans are notorious for nitpicking and bickering about canon. And a lesser-known race will avoid a lot of that.

I have a soft spot for the Andorians (I met Jeffrey Combs, and he's a real interesting guy), so I'm glad they've been mentioned, if not officially announced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to see Hirogen. I think they'd change the game up a lot, plus they have a lot of backstory to draw from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
Jatta Pake wrote:
John1701 wrote:

Yes, that is why they are included in the poll.

Yes, I know. I was informing the people who didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
cheng wrote:
Sassycat wrote:

Since they are specifically mentioned on one of the cards, you're likely to get your wish.

(I don't remember the card, but it said something like "Tholians ignore this.")

Chrystaline entity I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about having a 'Q' race? That would be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtcannonjr wrote:
How about having a 'Q' race? That would be fun.

they would be rather overpowered i would say.

it might fit as an npc faction, though, interfering with the players in teasing-like behaviour;
sending ships to other systems
let hostile ships appear (borg/species 8472).
make resources and planets dissappear or appear
rearrange the systems/spacelanes layout
rearrange technologies/trade agreements
while all players would need to research a particular tech to finally "convince" the Q to leave them in peace thereby winning the game ie find the filosofical solution as is often the only way to get rid of Q.
it would add a highly chaotic element
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.