Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a hefty price. And sadly too much for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kenna
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The terrain is quite pricey. If it is useful to the game, hopefully some of the stretch goals down the line can be to produce plastic versions at a drastically reduced price point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErgoSphere wrote:
The terrain is quite pricey. If it is useful to the game, hopefully some of the stretch goals down the line can be to produce plastic versions at a drastically reduced price point...

Yeah, but there's also the factions that costs £450. And that makes it too expensive for me. Which is too bad, because the game looks really good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Neuroshima Hex and I back way too many Kickstarter campaigns, but I'm just not going to go all in on this one. I am getting a conflict box and then I'll pick stuff up either on the pledge manager or when it hits retail. I have fallen in the all in pit before, you just have to wean yourself off. As someone who has acute loss aversion tendencies it is tough, but sometimes you just have to do it. I would rather have a piece of the pie than no pie at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
Where are you getting these numbers from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
It looks like you can get all the factions in the Dawnfall pledge for about $300 USD. I believe Awaken Realms stated that the terrain tokens included with the core sets are very similar (gameplay wise) to the resin terrain, so that's not a "must" in terms of gameplay. There are the really expensive boss models/expansions, but those don't seem to be crucial to PvP either.

It does seem like if you go with the Dawnfall pledge, you're going to be getting extra (redundant) components, and the stretch goals are x6 at that tier, which, with the current stretch goal list, equates to 24 of the same model (so, more redundancy). It would be nice to see a better "all-in" KS-package that strips away the extra (seemingly unnecessary) stretch goal models and components so that a better discount could be offered for those willing to go all in.

The first day has been incredibly successful for them, so I fear they don't have much reason to address any of these issues, but a mid-campaign lull or drop off may spur them to make some changes. Time will tell!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
Fingers crossed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
I would rather have a piece of the pie than no pie at all.

That's the problem with completionists like me: they would rather not have the pie at all than have just a piece of it.

It's not because I want to have it all just for the sake of it.
It's because when I get into a game "world/universe", I want to know all of it. It seems strange to me to use two factions while I know that some other exist but will never hit the table and participate to the narrative.

All in all, I like the concept but it's way too expensive.
IMHO, this game is a money grabber. I don't like the business model and I don't like the prices.
It feels to me that every price tag is almost twice more expensive than it should be.
And the expansions (terrains and epic monsters) are completely out of reach.

I backed tWoM but I have to pass this one, as appealing as it seems.
Not to mention that it feels to me like a game that would be played sometimes but not that much. It doesn't seem as meaty as other games I have.
The investment doesn't seem to be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's really expensive. I don't get why it's split up into multiple faction boxes, each at a premium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, hope it'll be a good game but at this price tag, that's too much of a costly gamble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John di Battista
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does completionist mean you have to buy it all at once? Last I checked there haven't been any pure Kickstarter exclusives yet. The only one being the one free darkness model for the first 24 hours. I don't see why getting one force or two forces from the KS and the rest in a piecemeal fashion at retail isn't a viable option.
I agree the terrain is very much over priced, but the rest seems rather fair. Look at warmahordes or 40k/AoS. The prices line up pretty much even. If you want war game quality figures you're going to pay a war game prices. Not every company can mass discount like CMoN's multimillion dollar projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does seem pricey when you compare against something like The Gods War which recently ended and also featured large miniatures.

The Edge: Dawnfall
- $105 for 2 factions consisting of 20 miniatures.
- $306 for 6 factions consisting of 60 miniatures.

The Gods War
- $125 for 4 factions consisting of 35 miniatures.
- $240 for 8 factions consisting of 80 miniatures.

Maybe "The Edge" is planning on featuring a lot of stretch goal content to account for the cost. Also, it's possible the miniatures are more detailed which would increase their cost.

As Michael pointed out, it looks like there's a component redundancy after the 2 faction pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaGeRit wrote:
Does completionist mean you have to buy it all at once?

At once or not, it's eventually the same price.
300 euros for 6 factions is too much in my own personal book.

CaGeRit wrote:
If you want war game quality figures you're going to pay a war game prices

That, to me, doesn't mean anything. There are quality war games way less pricy. There are no such things as "war game quality/war game prices".
That, in my humble opinion, is a standard that you pulled out of your hat.

But if you think the price tag is fair, good for you.
I believe that most of the backers agree with you.

But some have a different opinion about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm glad to hear that we got a healthy debate going. Perhaps I'll just get the £250 bundle and add the rest in the PM.
But with Kingdom Death Monster coming up, I don't really think I can afford this one. There are just too many expansions at too high price. Even if I leave out the terrain packs and extras it's still 250 for the bundle and 450 for the modules(?). And that's a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lugiber wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm glad to hear that we got a healthy debate going. Perhaps I'll just get the £250 bundle and add the rest in the PM.
But with Kingdom Death Monster coming up, I don't really think I can afford this one. There are just too many expansions at too high price. Even if I leave out the terrain packs and extras it's still 250 for the bundle and 450 for the modules(?). And that's a lot!

Right now I'm only looking at it at the £85 price. Depending on the campaign, I may add more.

I do wish there was a 4-player bundle that was 4 factions. And more game options that cut the £15 to leave off the books. They might be cool, but if it's like any other Kickstarter I won't have any real interest in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tero Martimo
Finland
Rauma
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow chill out you all-inners. This is clearly not a game/system that is designed to go all in. Just like Jason here says I'm too looking at this at a 85£ price tag. With that you get two super awesome armies, a legacy campaign for those factions, cardboard versions of terrain and all the stretch goals. So a COMPLETE gaming experience which leaves you room to evaluate the game and buy into more factions later on if you're interested.

I'm not going to Games Workshop website and look at all the available armies, units and terrain and calculate the total cost for owning everything, that would be somewhere closer to a million bucks (a bit of an overestimate... maybe?) and decide this is not a game for me. Seriously get a grip on how you assess stuff.

Ps. Also I'm not saying this is a cheap game. I might even back out if I don't get some solid evidence during the campaign that the game itself is absolutely top notch, because first and foremost I'm interested in seriously great games with strategical and tactical depth and a ton of replayability. I haven't yet seen nothing more but a promising hex-based movement and a neat area control aspect to it, but a bit too much dice chucking for my tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I just noticed that the conflict boxes contains the faction boxes. That makes a lot of difference in the price.
Not sure how I missed that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Broekzitter
Netherlands
Alblasserdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
retoxidi wrote:
With that you get two super awesome armies, a legacy campaign for those factions, cardboard versions of terrain and all the stretch goals. So a COMPLETE gaming experience which leaves you room to evaluate the game and buy into more factions later on if you're interested.

Are the cardboard terrain versions, the same as the expansions resin variants? Because I can't find that anywhere. It would be nice of course. But if I look at the expansions it also provides an extra campaign and cards as well. Is that also redundant stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
See, I know about the all inners. I, as I said have a massive issue with loss aversion. GW and FF are breaking up? I acquired every piece of overlap but it didnt matter sealed or not although I would have preferred sealed in one way, but I have conditioned myself to not pay $100+ for a 40 dollar expansion. So I found an open copy of chaos in the old world with horned rat in it. If I had got them sealed I never would have played them. I do want to play them. But if my brain thinks if I don't get this now it will be unavailable later and I either wont be able to get it or it will be stupidly expensive and I am better off getting it now. You can see with my kickstarter ID, I back a lot of projects for this reason.

But it can be worked on. My first year of board gaming I spent, well, a lot of money. I would estimate five to six grand easy. I try to be more discerning but I know I need to pick my battles a bit more now. Do I need five big miniature games about killing zombies? No, try to pick the best, try only to grab the minimum plus kickstarter exclusives. I can get the rest later. The bubble deflated a bit after blood rage, people were still buying to flip but a lot of people did that. But my completionist tendencies still kick in. I picked up wiz-war on clearance at my flgs, half off. Then I went out and picked up the expansions before I even played the base game, I'm out 75 bucks, but the stock of malefiwhatever curses was out at coolstuff and low at MM. I knowin my brain that they will restock, its FF, they always restock, but I had to snag it and the beast one was 23 on amazon. I picked it up.

But I spend a lot less now than when I started. I pick my battles to keep the screaming voices in my head quiet. "It'll be gone","You won't be able to get it", "You'll stupidly buy it or 3xMSRP". Its a work in progress. Completionists can work on it. They can compromise. They can set boundaries and stick within them. You just have to know that every day is a temptation laden internet link away from internal combustion. But you can fight it. I do, every day. I also avoid the internet when I am not at work for that reason.

I will share a success story with her permission. My girlfriend has clinical OCD. She also loves opening blind packs of anything. We got a couple boxes of magic origins cards and we pulled two Jaces. Me, I want to sell them, I'm not playing in tournaments or with anyone other than fiends, I could proxy that card and sell them for $40 each, but she said no. She couldnt part with them. Cut to a year later, some meds and an active pursuit of control over her brain. She opens some blind bricks of Heroclix Foes of Spiderman. We get a chase and a few super rares, I say, we can trade these in for a hundred bucks and she is ok with it now. Completionism can be worked on. It can get better and while it can feel overwhelming at times it can be controlled.

Thats all long winded but it is also true. I have come to accept that sometimes I can only have a slice of pie and that sometimes a slice of pie is better than no pie. I also am looking over at a three by one and a half foot box of "The Others" that I havnt even dug into yet. Its a process that I work on every day, some you win and some you give in. Roll with it. Also, y'all have a good day and get some gaming in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
retoxidi wrote:
Also I'm not saying this is a cheap game. I might even back out if I don't get some solid evidence during the campaign that the game itself is absolutely top notch, because first and foremost I'm interested in seriously great games with strategical and tactical depth and a ton of replayability. I haven't yet seen nothing more but a promising hex-based movement and a neat area control aspect to it, but a bit too much dice chucking for my tastes.

The dice chucking is what's off-putting for me too. The card play, the round-initiative based on who is winning, the area control for resources is all interesting. But, combat mostly comes down to luck.

I'd be much more interested if the combat modifiers were cards. So, that you're either using a card (with mana) for the ability, or you're using the attack value of the card in combat. Make the card-play more tactical by forcing the player to decide between a strong attack vs. an awesome ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
the game is a little bit more tactical than just rolling dice, but there is still a lot of that
and the price... where to begin... i want all the factions, and they say tomorrow they'll be putting more pledge levels, so hopefully there is a more realistic one with less extra stuff but all the necesary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
the game is a little bit more tactical than just rolling dice, but there is still a lot of that
and the price... where to begin... i want all the factions, and they say tomorrow they'll be putting more pledge levels, so hopefully there is a more realistic one with less extra stuff but all the necesary

There is more to it than the dice rolls. But, there is a lot of weight to those dice rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
well, yesterday's pledge fixes added a lot of value actually

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
$200 (£150) Warchest containing 7 factions. Thats 95 minis.
The special super-huge bosses are pricey but you do not need them, or can start with using the paperversion to test them. Same with the extra terrain, looks nice but you can buy it bit by bit later if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
GringeCommander wrote:
$200 (£150) Warchest containing 7 factions. Thats 95 minis.
The special super-huge bosses are pricey but you do not need them, or can start with using the paperversion to test them. Same with the extra terrain, looks nice but you can buy it bit by bit later if you like the game.

yeah, i'm buying cardboard terrain and warchest pledge xd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.