A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: How to use ships? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On page 20 at the end of the explanation about the exploration actions the rule say "in all above cases you keep your ship" this were the only time i saw something about how to use ships. How do i track what ship I have used when it vomes to trading, raiding, whaling etc? Discsrd, exhaust or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't really need to keep track of them. None of the actions "use up" a ship, except for emigration, when you turn it over and place it in the feast area. All the other ship actions simply require that you have the ship(s) indicated as a prerequisite for the action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Heeren
Germany
Eppstein-Bremthal
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
On page 20 at the end of the explanation about the exploration actions the rule say "in all above cases you keep your ship" this were the only time i saw something about how to use ships. How do i track what ship I have used when it vomes to trading, raiding, whaling etc? Discsrd, exhaust or what?

You don't have to keep track. One boat gives you the ability to go whaling no matter how often. A longboat lets you go plundering as many times as you like. Only if you emigrate your ship is taken from your habour and placed on the banquet table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I belive you guys, had a feeling that how it was. But why isent it stated clearly in the rules? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
I belive you guys, had a feeling that how it was. But why isent it stated clearly in the rules? blush

You mean, page 14?

"General rule: Some actions require you to have a specific type of ship. You may use the same ship multiple times per round for different actions."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

You mean, page 14?

"General rule: Some actions require you to have a specific type of ship. You may use the same ship multiple times per round for different actions."

I was going through the rulebook severaltimes trying to find that part. I had a feeling I had read it somewhere, but when I dident find it after multiple attempts I asked here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
Tolchock wrote:

You mean, page 14?

I was going through the rulebook severaltimes trying to find that part. I had a feeling I had read it somewhere, but when I dident find it after multiple attempts I asked here

It's all good. There is so much information to absorb, it is easy to miss something.

*edit* One thing that helps me is opening the PDF rules and using Ctrl-F, so you can search for text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own 3 whaling ships and take the 3-worker whaling action, must you use all three, or can you use only one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Ring
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
If you own 3 whaling ships and take the 3-worker whaling action, must you use all three, or can you use only one?

Why would you ever want to use less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cereo wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

To allow the option of a failure in some rare case, I suppose. If your adjusted roll result is 0 or less, you are forced to declare success.

It is probably not a very good strategy to use fewer than your maximum ships, but I suppose it is an interesting theoretical question. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cereo wrote:
clydeiii wrote:

In case you want to fail. It may be to your benefit to take the space, block an opponent, then claim the failure reward and use your viking elsewhere.

The way I read the rules indicates you aren't compelled to use all your boats:
Odin Rules wrote:

On the major “Whaling” action space
(at the left), you can use one to three
of your whaling boats.

That sounds optional to me. As opposed to, say, "you must use all of your boats, up to three max" or some such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.