Mansions of Madness: Second Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Can 2 players play multiple investigators? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Hi All,

Just picked up this game and hoping to play with a friend this weekend.
When we usually play co-ops we would normally control 2 characters each (if something like Arkham Horror) as the co-op nature makes that simple, and I feel these are usually better geared towards having 3+ players.

I figured we would do the same with Mansions but just going over the rules I've noticed the insane conditions would probably stop that from working.

So, I've got two questions...
Does the game play fine with just two investigators? (I imagine it's a lot harder, as there's collectively less actions)

If you are playing multiple investigators do you just need to remove the "3+" insanity cards to make it work, or do the other insanity cards still cause a problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Playing multiple characters each: no problem at all. Very easy.

Playing just two investigators: yes, it will be a bit more difficult but the game generally balances well and it's certainly playable. You will find that each character ends up with with a tonne of cards though. Personally I prefer to play with at least 3. 4 is typically best.

The numbers on the insanity cards relate to player number, not investigator number, so if you have 2 players playing multiple investigators then yes, remove all 3+ cards. Whether the others will cause problems depends what you enjoy. I personally do not like the insanity conditions and we tend to ignore the stipulations (at 2 players they are typically something like 'if there are any investigation tokens left on the board you do not win the game'). We prefer the game to remain co-op until the end and so we just play to complete the objective and to Hell with the game if it claims one player or other technically did not win. But there's nothing on them that will break the game playing 2 players with multiple investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jett Rink
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Thanks for that. Good to know
We'll stick to what we normally do and go for two investigators each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive played the first scenario three times, two characters each time. It works fine with only two. One spectacular, flaming loss and two late-game successes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.