Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the rules say that to perform a Distant Attack the target has to be in an "adjacent neighbour province" and Balor's Castles are not in provinces I assume that you cannot attack them from distance. In other words you can only attack the castles from one of the four directly connected locations on the northern coast of the island.

Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Rubbo
United States
Philadelphia
PA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I assumed you could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel it would be too strong. Getting into one of the northern provinces is not that hard, especially early in the game. And then simply spending 2 VP + 4 swords to get the 10 VP castles — seems too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bienert
Germany
Gaimersheim
flag msg tools
publisher
Game's Up / Board Game Heroes
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

my goodness...yes, that is a major open issues of the game (IMHO).

We actually prefer the interpretation, that a distant attack on Balor's Castle is possible (from the province from which the connection to the peculiar castle begins).

Allowing this, makes getting Balor's castle sometimes easy- nevertheless not allowing this makes it very (too ?) hard.

I am well aware that this "rule vacuum" is unsatisfying. I would appreciate a discussion on that !

Best

Ralph (publisher)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting

A related question, just to be sure: Am I correct in the assumption that for Distant Attacks in general the path towards the target does not matter in any way? E.g. even if there is an opponent disc and/or another Fomori between my settlement and the target Fomori, I can attack that one.

Example sketch:

cornindigo — (province border) — 32

If I am the yellow player corn I can attack the 2 Fomori by spending 2 VP and 2 swords, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we agree (which implies that I have a strong opinion, which I do not have, mind you!) that one rule variant is too weak while the other is too strong, one could introduce the minor special rule that a distant attack on a Castle costs 4 VP instead of 2. You basically have to cross the sea offside the "bridge" which is arguably more difficult than walking through the woods when performing a Distant Attack on the main island.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Hamer
Germany
Hamburg
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played it the way, that one can not attack the castles from distance, only from the directly adjacent locations. Our reasoning was as follows:

1. Balors island does not seem to be directly connected to the 'main land', there is water between the island and the main island where the players settle. (I do not have the board in front of me to confir
this... :-))

2. Regions that are connected only via shared water areas and do not touch directly in any way are not adjacent. Otherwise the northern regions would be adjacent to the southern regions on the map (via the sea) too...

3. Therefore: Balors island is not adjacent to any of the other regions, not even the northern ones.

4. Therefore: attacking by distant not possible, only attacking from the directly adjacent locations.

Does that make sense?

We did not think that it is that hard to conquer castles with this ruling, maybe unless the map is flooded with fomori chits. In a two player game we have conquered 2 or 3 of them, even with this interpretation. Maybe a multiplayer game makes a differnce here...

Greetings

edit: typos etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Bienert
Germany
Gaimersheim
flag msg tools
publisher
Game's Up / Board Game Heroes
mbmbmbmb
@ Fabian: your proposal seems reasonable, maybe for the second edition.

@ Sven: your points do make sense and are a permittable interpretation.

As said before: IMHO, rules allow both perspectives. We prefer allowing a distant attack on Balor's Castle.

Best

Ralph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Michalski
Belgium
Namur
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Raedwulf wrote:
[...]I would appreciate a discussion on that !

Best

Ralph (publisher)

Hi ,

My opinion is that distant attacks should not be allowed on Balor's Castles, as this would give first and in a lesser measure second players a clear advantage.

First player would place his first Ait in Godhelia port and would have immediate opportunity to attack the 3 Eastern castles, and second player would place his first Ait in either Tured or Liones port and would have the immediate opportunity to attack the Western castle.

And it is not over, because gaining the castles gives these players the possibility to discard Fomori tiles instead of taking turns to place them on the board, and so they have a good chance of passing first and so of starting the second round as first player again.

Best regards,

Jean "John" Michalski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer not allowing distant attacks on the castles. In my opinion, the Fomori are already not a strong enough threat, and allowing distant attacks on the castles simply weakens them further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Late to the party, here.
Just want to chime in to say that I don't like the idea of being ablw to attack castles with distant attack.
Feels to easy. And you really know you earned you 10 points when you worked yourself up to a location adjacent to a castle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.