Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played the Prologue and it took 3+ hrs. I knew we must have done something wrong and sure enough we did. We played to 12 glory as milestones were given to the first person to reach 3, 6, 9 and 12. Not each time someone reached those values.

So our board state is that all islands are explored except for 2 spots, one person got to name 3 of the 4 islands, and all advisors were purchased and named.

Does anyone have an opinion on the impact this will have on game 1 or future games? (without spoiling them please!).

Thanks for your responses.
Lloyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Uccello
United States
Millbury
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No real impact. You'll be doing very little Exploration in game 1, obviously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think this will make your first game take a few to several extra turns.
EDIT: It's also maybe likely that more enmity stickers will be placed? This is not a huge deal, but may make the alternate game-end I suggest below more appealing to some players.

Recommendations:

Allow the objective "An Island Revealed" to be claimed by the person to explore the highest-numbered site not yet explored (if the numbers are tied, either site will do).

You might also allow an alternate end game condition for the first game: if all four game 1 milestones are completed, the game will end at the end of the current round even if the target glory has not been reached.

As far as story and stuff goes, you should be fine. The recommendations above are just to try to make sure you have fun (if your group is still having fun at the alternate game end, feel free to keep going to the normal game end).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please don't take this as a snarky comment but does it even matter? Either way, you are going to have to "power through" the first game which will be a little rough.

Your second game (first after the prologue) will be a little rough as there isn't that much to explore anymore but you still have the milestones which will unlock some things to help with your issue.

Perhaps you have game one go from 12 or 14 glory (whichever it is) and reduce it by 4 or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Conser
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad I read this post as this is how I was playing it. So the correct way to play the prologue is to keep track of the total of all of the glory that all of the players have gotten and not how much each individual player has gotten? Once the total glory of 12 has been achieved the prologue ends?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In service to the Imperium of Man
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadwing34 wrote:
I am glad I read this post as this is how I was playing it. So the correct way to play the prologue is to keep track of the total of all of the glory that all of the players have gotten and not how much each individual player has gotten? Once the total glory of 12 has been achieved the prologue ends?

Not exactly. An individual player must reach a multiple of 3 glory points. So if one player has 2 points and another player has 1, that doesn't trigger a milestone. Once a player reaches 3/6/9/12 points, they claim a milestone regardless of how many points the other players have.

In a five-player game, it basically means "the first four people to score 3 points claim a milestone".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
deadwing34 wrote:

No. Once any player reaches 3 glory, that player names an island (and claims a milestone). If another player reaches 3 glory (or the same player reaches 6 glory), that player gets to name an island (and claim a milestone). And so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't break anything in the long run, you'll just have less exploration opportunities your first game. You can still get plenty of points from milestones, buying treasures, building, and raiding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@OP:

The bottom line is that with one fewer source of glory points, you'll end up relying on the other sources more heavily, and the game will take longer than it would have. That said, there's still a lot of glory to be had from milestones, treasures, raiding, upgrades, and structures, so you won't be "stuck".

You'll probably complete all four game 1 milestones (we completed three in our Game 1). It's likely that you'll have more raiding as a result, which in turn means that you'll likely end up with more enmity stickers. I doubt that any of this is game-breaking, but it may alter the feel of your campaign to some degree for the next couple of sessions. (The fact that you've named your advisors is irrelevant, in terms of gameplay.)

JN makes a good point regarding the milestone "An Island Revealed". If you want to prevent a dogpile situation on the remaining 6-site (I'm assuming that at least one of the remaining sites qualifies), then a possible variant of his suggestion for you to consider: Allow players to perform an explore endeavor against any of the difficulty 6 sites, but only until someone succeeds in claiming the milestone. That person will get the usual glory for succeeding in an endeavor and will claim the milestone, but will only go to the Captain's Booke if the site was previously unexplored.

I hope you decide on a solution that results in a good game for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your input. We will push ahead and just accept that we will have to rely on raids and purchasing for most of the glory points in game 1.
Nice to know we have not done anything that can't be recovered.
Lloyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
crashcrosby wrote:
Thank you everyone for your input. We will push ahead and just accept that we will have to rely on raids and purchasing for most of the glory points in game 1.
Nice to know we have not done anything that can't be recovered.
Lloyd

Give us an update and let us know how it works out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd Crosby
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a trading heavy Game 1. We have now finished 3 games and I feel like we have not missed anything. Except the early islands were all named by the same person.
Thanks again everyone for your input.

Lloyd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.