flag msg tools

Players: 2-6
Game time: currently 1-2 hours

Current Phase:
Allocating Character attributes
Finalising all components given
Establishing all cards are playable

Overview:
Comprises of 6 kingdoms in which the aim is to overcome tasks given at each of these kingdoms to help overtake them. If successful, this eventually culminates into battling a king at each of these kingdoms. Once this is completed and all kingdoms are taken over, the game is won.

Components:
1 hexagonal board game that folds into a triangle when packing the game up
12 characters chips and cards
12 kings chips and cards
15 beast cards
30 reward cards
30 punishment cards
20 task cards
30-50 chance cards (not sure yet)
1 stop watch (maybe)
1 rule book

Done list:
How the Board will look
Initial play test to identify faults
Reward,punishment,task cards writing done
characters, kings and beasts abilities

To do list
Allocate character attributes fairly
Finish Chance card write ups
Play Play Play until satisfaction
Draw up all characters and finish background story on each of them

This is my game please let me know your thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Harper
United Kingdom
Wantage
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Beginning of a new era
Hi Ibrahim.

Congratulations on getting this far, it's great that you have a physical prototype and have started playtesting.

I don't think you have given enough information for there to be any useful comments at the moment other than keep going, and keep testing. I look forward to seeing how this develops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for your comment I will keep posting on here hopefully get people keen on playing it.

I will aim to add more pictures and information hopefully today or tomorrow .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig M
msg tools
mbmb
Couple of things to keep in mind...

What decision points will the game offer?
What will be the difference between good play and bad play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey Peeps,
I have attached my first issue of rules, please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you Craig I will look more into decision points and difference between good play and bad play and get back to you with an answer.

Every time you play my game it will be a new experience, as the whole game will be different from the characters and kings selected to the tasks and chance cards picked up.

This will cause the players to use different strategies every time and not only that the level of difficulty for each game will vary due to it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sound of the game, could you elaborate more on what sort of thing a task may entail in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Laughing Lizard wrote:
I like the sound of the game, could you elaborate more on what sort of thing a task may entail in the game?

Hi Lizard I am happy that my game is of some interests .

Now to answer your question the tasks that are to be completed in a kingdom vary from a simple short task to long hard tasks.

Each task given in the game have been tried and tested to see if it would be entertaining and exciting. The tasks in the game go from timed tasks which are short and very fun, as it will make the player who is doing the task to panic and cause him to go over the time limit which would result to failing the task.

When playing the prototype these tasks have been seen to be the most fun and very funny as the player who is doing the task panics every time .

The long tasks vary from going out the kingdom and finding pieces of an item, which results the group splitting up searching for the items. The second type of long tasks will require you to defeat certain beasts and retrieve some sort of treasure that will enable you to enter the castle to face the king.

Just to let you know as you play the game in groups of 3-4 you will see a division within the group and slowly but surely some of the members may even attack other members to take there treasures. So not only will you be cautious in travelling from one kingdom to another to avoid beasts, but you will eventually come to the point of moving around the map to avoid a battle from other players as you will need all the stamina points to defeat the king.

But the funny thing about this is that as you play the game and eventually go against each other, when it comes to facing the king your team and the players against you will join up for that one moment to face the king.

But what I just wrote about players going against players is from past game play that I have experienced from certain family members and friends who decided to go rogue and attack other members, in order to take there treasures to go against a king to take over all the kingdoms.

Every time you decide to play this game with friends and family what may have worked the first time you played may not work this time around as the tasks involved, the characters you face and who you are in the game will be totally different. So the experience of playing the game will be totally new as you will have to come up with new strategies, new ways of problem solving and new ways of dealing with an enemy.

I hope this has made you even more eager to play my game . If you have any questions or suggestions I can add or change to make my game more fun please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laughing Lizard Games
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, i am intrigued, let me know when you have a print an play file and i will happily do some play testing if you need volunteers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I will Post it on here once I have a print to play version out .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi just a quick question on average what length in time is good for a board game?

I was thinking one hour and 30 mins to 2 hours but I am not to sure if that will be too long for a game?

Please let me know your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This is my first issue on how my player card will look. I need to fine tune it and add colour to the card but the format will be similar to this.

Please let me know how I can improve the character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are you keeping track of such high amounts of hit points (1200???) Sentinels of the multiverse has damage tokens but it gets very tedious, even with lower amounts like 200.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Patrick the values on that card are not the true values as I am still working on characters and there stats.

I was trying to show the format of how a character card will look as in the basic layout of it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have known devil

Anyway I like the idea of players roaming around and doing quests independently, and then sometimes helping each other out. Watch out for players not playing how you want them to though. When playing with friends and family you may be able to control the situation a bit better. But other people who don't know you may play it differently. For instance, when they need to team up to beat a king, and the guy who knows he is going to lose decides not to help, and it ruins the game for everyone.

Or players who never screw each other and just play it as a co-op. I mean, if you intend for it to work that way, that's OK, but if you have a lot of the game built around players fighting each other, then the co-op version is probably going to be too easy, and those players will be dissatisfied.

At least, how you described it

The prototype looks great so far. Good luck with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi Patrick,

The point of the game is that anything goes, as in if everyone decides to team up and not go against each other that doesn't mean that they will be in the same kingdom for the entire game. This is because some of the tasks will cause players to separate from one another.

If someone thinks that they will lose during a battle and decides to retreat and leave all other team mates that doesn't mean that the team will lose as each player has a special ability and the game is constantly changing.

Making a choice to not help out team mates during a battle with a king may not be the best choice, because out of the kingdom there is a chance of meeting a beast and if you felt like you will die facing a king with a group of you, then how do you think the player will do on his own against a beast.
Facing a beast on your own can go either way you can meet a weak one or a very strong one so it can go either way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hopefully this weekend I shall have all the character cards made and get an epic game going .

Once the game testing weekend has finished I hope to have completed the distribution of character attributes, as well as there background story of how they all connect to one another .

It is going to be an excited 2-3 days.

Tasks completed:
Task, chance,punishment, reward cards all written up and tested in previous game testing phase.
How the board will look.
The rules for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Objectives for November:
Character draw ups.
Background story of each character.
Finalising on Character attributes (almost complete).
Finalising layouts of all cards and books.
final game testing phase.
Actual Prototype manufactured.

If you think I have missed anything out before making an actual prototype please could you let me know .

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RegalPanda wrote:
final game testing phase.
Actual Prototype manufactured.

If you think I have missed anything out before making an actual prototype please could you let me know .

There is usually a very long gap between:

"testing" ............. and "final testing", followed by manufacturing.

That gap is filled with testing; find bugs/improvements; more testing; more bugs/improvements; etc etc etc. For many "pro" games this can anywhere from a year (of intensive work and hundreds of playtests; many/most of them with "blind" playtesting) to many years because of extensive rewrites.

Not to discourage you! Just to say you should not rush into anything "final" or any manufacturing for quite some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you Derek for your reply when I wrote final game testing phase I should of actually written Family testing to find any loop holes and bugs in the game, before I start blind testing .

What I meant by Actual Prototype manufactured was making the board for the game and cards for people to play with when I start the blind testing phase.

The cards won't have as much detail as the final prototype but it will have enough for the people testing the game. This will enable players to give me feedback on not just game play but each component .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Game testing progress:
So far I have had 16 people (friends and family members) from kids to adults in groups of 4 play my game and I have received good feed back.

Tomorrow I will aim to have hopefully 20 people (friends and there friends) play test my game.

Feedback of today when defeating beasts outside of the kingdoms you gain some sort of weapon. Such as defeating Werewolf beast you take his claws which gives you double damage for 3 turns when facing your next enemy. something like that any thoughts?

Game time average was 2 hours?
3 groups finished the game 1 group failed to finish the game as they were beaten by a king.

positive: Everyone loved the characters and the background story,
Negatives: Some characters attributes need to be amended and some tasks need to be changed to reduce game time.

Let me know your thoughts on the feedback given .
Also please let me know what you think I should do in regards to reqards when defeating a beast outside of a kingdom?

Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Progress update:
I have been fine tuning my game and also getting school kids to play test my game.

I will aim to have all the feedback to tell you Sunday and hopefully have a game that can be print and play for you guys to play and review .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Title Upgrade

The Boardgame will be know as Overthrone: The Royal Takeover.

And the kings slogan is "Majestic is he who sits on the throne"

More images soon to be released .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hey guys sorry that I have not posted anything lately I have been busy sorting out all the character stats and it is taking longer then expected.

I am hoping to have the stats nailed down end of this week as my game has been played by over 60 kids so far and 32 adult.

I will hopefully post here soon as

Thank you for your patience
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Game progress:
Game testing has been long and rigorous but the outcome has been worth it.

My game has added extra features such as instead of picking up a reward card after defeating a beast you receive a different type of reward such as you defeated a man eating Eagle you gain its wings which enables you to flee from battle once.

The print and play version is being created as you read this post. We are just waiting on the character designs before posting it up here for you guys to play it and review it.

The map has increased in size, each hexagon is a few mm bigger.

The character cards may need a bit of fine tuning but I will aim to have pictures up in few days.

Also the background stories for each characters will be posted on my website which will be launching soon.

http://regalpanda.wixsite.com/landingpage

Sorry for not uploading my progress on a regular base as I have been busy getting play testers as well as getting the website up and running for the players to know the origins of each character.

If you have any questions or advice please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ibrahim Uddin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Game testing results:
Objectives- Reduce gameplay time
- Fine tuning Player attributes
- Drawing characters sketch up

Solutions to reducing gameplay time is adding different regions on the map. Such as placing a kingdom in a jungle, another kingdom in a cold climate etc.

Once I have sketched up the map I will create the print to play taster .

I apologise for not having the Print to play version up yet, I hope to get the taster version up soon .

Thank you for your patience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.