BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Rating games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lindberg
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I realize this has probably been discussed on previous threads, but couldn't find it, so I'm asking for links to those threads. Here's my question:

It seems like the current BGG recommendations on rating games is primarily based on how much you want to play the game. That certainly makes sense, but for a number of games that causes a dilemma for me.

My current life situation is such that I pretty much play only relatively simple and quick games (especially compared to wargames, which is how I got my start in gaming many years ago). So games like Dominion, 7 Wonders, MtG, Codex, Terra Mystica, and Agricola are typical. Even though I have games like Advanced Squad Leader, World in Flames, Advanced Third Reich, i.e. really heavy wargames.

So right now I wouldn't want to play those heavy games, for a variety of reasons: they take too long, too complex, no room to leave them set up for days on end, can't find other players, etc. But if I had different life circumstances such that none of the obstacles existed, then I would want to play them and would enjoy them.

So how should I rate such a game? To give an example, if someone invited me to play World in Flames, I would decline right now. By the standard rating system I should rate it a 3 or lower. But if I could play it I would, and would most likely rate it at least a 7 or higher. Basically, it seems unfair to rate a game low just because I currently don't want to play it, even though I think it's a pretty good game if the obstacles to playing it (primarily complexity and length) are of no concern.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rate games on your willingness to play them in general. All things being equal (time, money, etc) and you had the ability to play the game, would you want to? By that measure, your heavier games would definitely be 7s and 8s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Do whatever you want to do. Your rating is your rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mclrecon wrote:
But if I could play it I would, and would most likely rate it at least a 7 or higher. Basically, it seems unfair to rate a game low just because I currently don't want to play it, even though I think it's a pretty good game if the obstacles to playing it (primarily complexity and length) are of no concern.

Worry less about a literal "willingness to play (based on the situation at the moment)". Think of the system as a pleasure meter. How much does the game give you pleasure when you play/think about playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:

This

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Tall_Walt wrote:

This. In addition, don't get hung up on the system interpretation of various values. Those are suggestions, nothing more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.