Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered the game and would like to spruce up the game pieces. I thought about doing a simple dry brush/wash on the pieces but to save time I was pondering doing it will they were still on the sprue.

Anyone have any experience doing something like this? Any tips/pointers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they on sprues? I do not remember them being sprued up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Lawson
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd strongly suggest not doing this. I mean... you'll end up with painted models that then have to be clipped off the sprues, leaving you with unpainted spurs projecting out from your ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wash them in dish soap and rinse them thoroughly, then let them completely dry before you start.

There is the issue that some models, the carriers particularly, will warp when you cut them loose unless you are very careful. If they do just soak them in hot water until they are soft, then bend them back into shape, and dip them in cold water to fix the shape. Painting them first might affect this process.

So I'd say that cutting them loose, trimming them, reshaping the warped models, cleaning them (oil from your skin is a much a problem as the modeling oil you are washing off) and then painting them is best.

And yes, I have individual sets of pieces for all eighteen races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
From my impetuous youth's experience*, I can tell you that painting on the sprue is not a good idea. In addition to the aforementioned spurs and cuts that won't have paint on them, you'll also have a hard time painting the fighters as they are very close to the sprue's runners.

I used to paint 40k models on the sprue when I first started as a teenager in 2000, and the difference between that and doing it the right way is staggering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All right all right... I guess I won't be lazy and do it the right way. . I like painting so it won't be too bad. I was thinking I could get in a rush job this weekend before I take it on a trip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've really thought about doing a real simple job on mine....
but I've never done it before.

So then I start thinking about paying someone else....

Sigh. I will learn sometime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
Are they on sprues? I do not remember them being sprued up.

The first printing like mine was definitely on sprue. More recent ones have come preclipped and in bags...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
mbmbmbmbmb
I did my base coat when on the Sprue. Full Write up and details here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/680079/painted-my-ti3-pi...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have any ideas on set up for mass painting? Most of my experience is with individual minis (Malifaux mostly). I usually set each one up on a bottle cap but I'd like to do a bunch at a time if I'm just doing basic coat, dry brush, and wash. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanley A Wilkins Jr MD
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dr. Bubba
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with my friend Steve....I have a fairly nice painted set that I bring to Origins and Gen-Con every year. I have done 9 colors and process of doing 4-5 more. You can cut the sprue so that each ship is only attached by 1 edge.This takes 20 minutes and some carefull planning. I would suggest priming them on the sprue and the base color on the sprue. After that it is easier to do detail work,wash or dip(I've done both)etc. Hope this helps...
Dr. Bubba
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.