Popular Tags: [View All]
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow geeks,

I am thinking on buying one or two of the new "hot" games, for now I think I will enjoy Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail, I want to hear your comments and suggestions. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are the two games I'm looking to pick up as well. Enough said, hehe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have Terraforming Mars, and it's an awesome game. Great Western Trail would be on my wishlist, except that I've already bought A Feast for Odin, The Colonists, and Cottage Garden, and I'm all out of money and shelfspace now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Art Vandelay would choose Great Western Trail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is great, but it is long. Ive just played my first 4 player game and it took 5 hours!. Now i know that the game will get quicker with more experience but its still going to be quite lengthy (was with Corporate era).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew VanSpronsen
Canada
Kitchener
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Western Trail is number one on my list. After that maybe Lorenzo il Magnifico ( loving Luciani ) or The Colonists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan St. John
Canada
Cornwall
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems we have the same taste in games! I purchased Terraforming Mars and I'm anxiously awaiting Great Western Trail!

I am very much enjoying Terraforming Mars and recommend it often. It's a great engine builder I think. Playing with the corporate era cards make this game great and add so much replayability. It can get lengthy with 4 players though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan García
Mexico
Monterrey
Nuevo Leon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I have Terraforming Mars, and it's an awesome game. Great Western Trail would be on my wishlist, except that I've already bought A Feast for Odin, The Colonists, and Cottage Garden, and I'm all out of money and shelfspace now

Please let me know your thoughs on those games, did you enjoyed them? why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Kalakazo wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Please let me know your thoughs on those games, did you enjoyed them? why?

I haven't played AFfO yet (it sits lonely and unpunched, until I have time to learn/play it), but I know with 95% certainty that I will love it. My preference is for heavy, puzzly, thinky engine building "sandbox" euro games, and based on the reviews that game is very much that.

I have only played the introductory game of The Colonists, and so far I like it very much. It is very much a civ / building game, where you build buildings on your home board that produce resources, provide workers, give benefits, etc. Meanwhile on the shared main board, you move a pawn around to different action spaces to get/build stuff. That has a spatial aspect, so there's a tactical/strategic puzzle there. The game is played over several eras, and you can play just one era for a shorter game, or all of them for a massively long game (or number between).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars is really great! One of the best (of not the best) game I have played this year!

I have Great Western Trail ordered and looking very much forward to it!

I have also recently bought A feast for Odin and Oracle of Delphi, both very, very good games that I reccomend.

I have written reviews for all the three of them that I own already, and if you are interested, they can be found here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/216106/sennahos-impressio...

Good luck choosing what to buy! I hope you will have a lot of fun whatever you buy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalakazo wrote:
Hi fellow geeks,

I am thinking on buying one or two of the new "hot" games, for now I think I will enjoy Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail, I want to hear your comments and suggestions. robot

The real answer is: Why not both?

The next would be: Which of these is available in your country? Because neither is in Germany (at least not online)

I player Great Western Trail yesterday with 4 Players and enjoyed it very much. Took us about 3h with full rules explaining (about 30 min). So many different stuff to do, but you want to do them all. 2 Very different strategies came out with a 1 point difference in the end. Really nice.

I look forward to trying out Terraforming Mars (And Fest for Odin and.. and.. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kalakazo wrote:
I am thinking on buying one or two of the new "hot" games, for now I think I will enjoy Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail, I want to hear your comments and suggestions.

After "Essen", those are the two big new games I have played so far (also played Codenames: Pictures and Oracle of Delphi).

Both games are really good.

In Terraforming Mars there is a random factor with the cards (there is a draft variant, which is better, I think... havn't tried that, yet), which might be a turn-off for some people. Also, some cards have a mean, take that element, which also does not appeal to everyone. Other than that, it is great. Nicely integrated theme. Replayability should be very high, since you always have different options to work with. If you like games like Race for the Galaxy, where you have to find the best use of the options that the game hands you, this is a perfect choice. The game can take pretty long, though, 1h/player or something like that.

Great Western Trail is a game that just works. Nice mix of mechanics there, and while it does not reinvent the wheel, it does have a fresh feel to it. Themewise, this is a little thinner. While the theme is there, it isn't really connected to the mechanics very well. It is more long-term strategy, where you follow a path you have chosen and try to optimize it. So, more like Russian Railroads or Marco Polo.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear Scoville is a "hot" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.