Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
andrea melegari
Italy
parma
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First of all let's say thai i really like the game. This is probably another masterpiece like Mombasa. I played my first 2p game tonight and the experience was a bit strange. We completed the game in about 75 min when our first 3p took us 3hrs. I don't know if i missed some special rule for 2p. We started on a neutral building of our choice and we both started very near to kansas city. Then i'd say that in the first 3/4 rounds there were very few location on the map so completing another journey to KC was fast.
Moreover most of the "3" tile in Kansas City are workers and with only 2 columns to fill up the worker marker moved one row below at each movimento.
the shortness of the playing time was reflected even in the score ( between 30-40) when our prevous 3p was in the 70-85.
So is this the normal 2p experience ? Cause even if i love the game i have the impression that You cannot fully develop your strategy at this player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing time/score depends on the strategy of the players. Heavy building and using them means more actions per Kansas City round, which means higher score. I saw short games where players won/made many points by removing hazard tiles. In a 2 player game of course chances are higher that all players move fast. In a 4 player game it often evens out (one moving faster, one slower).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it 2p yet, but I can easily imagine the game to go really fast if the players make most trips to KC with a minimum number of stops. After all the speed of 3 is the same in 2p as in 3p with fewer buildings.

Initially, there are 6 neutral buildings to pass, so three turns can bring you to KC with two stops in between to fill up on e.g. workers and cattle. If few buildings are constructed on pathes which slow you down, you probably can make three full trips before you need more than three turns to get to KC.

In 2p, there are 21 worker spots to be filled before the game is over, which (depending on how many workers come up amongst the '3' tiles) might be done after just six trips to KC by each player. If both start the game near KC, the first trip might be just one turn, and the next three trips (if speedy) require three turns each. Add four turns each for the fifth and sixth trip and the game can end after just 18 turns.

Nobody in my games so far has tried a consistent "race to KC as often as possible" strategy. And it doesn't look like it would pay off. Deliveries don't earn points (at least not with low-value herds) - it's what you do in between which decides about your points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Dageroth
Germany
Steinhagen
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played with my husband on Sunday and our first impression was also that of a very fast 2-player game. But then we decided to build, since we both had cotracts that needed buildings to be fulfilled. And we also used those buildings a lot so the race to KC slowed down significantly and we ended the game with a score of 102 - 96 after about 2 hours. So I would say it depends heavily on the play-style how long a game will take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littlebanshee wrote:
I played with my husband on Sunday and our first impression was also that of a very fast 2-player game. But then we decided to build, since we both had cotracts that needed buildings to be fulfilled. And we also used those buildings a lot so the race to KC slowed down significantly and we ended the game with a score of 102 - 96 after about 2 hours. So I would say it depends heavily on the play-style how long a game will take.
Yeah, once you built a building for whatever reason, it's only natural that you want to use it. In the first game, we all built buildings which costed the others money to pass ("hehe, pay me!" devil), but -depending on strategy- often other buildings are stronger, and make you want to use them since they generally are superior to the neutral ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.