Subject: Tunnel Detected - Osprey 2016 Rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really enjoyed my first game of Escape From Colditz for 32+ years today, having received the new Osprey Games version for my birthday. 

There was one thing I couldn’t get my head around, and that was how to arrest POWs in the tunnel after playing a Tunnel Detected card, using the new rules.

The card reads “Choose a tunnel, and place an Escape Attempt marker on it. POWs in that tunnel can now be arrested from any point along the tunnel.”

Do I, as the Germans attempting to arrest the POWs, need to enter the tunnel from the room entrance, or does “from any point along the tunnel” mean I can enter the tunnel from any side in the outer courtyard, ignoring entrances and exits? Which seems to make literal sense but would seem thematically odd and make it easier to capture the lot of those pesky runaways holed up in the tunnel.

Can I use the tunnel exit as an entrance? I’m sure the answer is there and I’m missing it by a mile, but I just couldn’t fathom it at the time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thark Warrior
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It hasn't come up in our game - still trying to figure out what to do about having all the POWs perpetually in solitary - but I think it means the guards can arrest them as if the the POW were on the normal surface space and not in the tunnel space. The guards move as normal on the surface but can now access the room and "see" the POWs.

I don't think it's intended that Guards "use" the tunnel. I could be wrong.

To be honest I'm beginning to think Daniel Thibault's rules from 2001 are a better update than the Osprey ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We apologise for the inconvenience
United Kingdom
Outside of the Asylum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's the way we read it too. The guards can simply move onto the POWs & arrest them, wherever they are in the tunnel, without having to "enter" the tunnel from either end. Once the tunnel is detected, assume the guards are digging down into it or lifting floorboards etc. to grab the POWs.

There are no rules mentioning how guards move along the tunnels or can end their movement on them, which would support this interpretation too.

And of course, if there are fewer than 2 POWs left at the end of your turn, the tunnel collapses.

IIRC the "classic rules" (or some version of them!) required 2 guards to reach the tunnel (at any point along it? or perhaps just the ends?) in order to arrest the POWs within it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Molloy
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
*From any point* is intended to mean you can break in from the side of the tunnel to make an arrest, rather than having to go through it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all. That's exactly how it reads on the card, so it makes sense. It just seemed too good to be true at the time, as I could have arrested the whole lot of them (which aligns with the original rules I guess).

We didn't have a big problem with too many POWs in solitary, but it was a first learning game for us (played with family who'd never played before) and, as my first game for 30 odd years, the efficiency of my Security Officers was probably sub-optimal at best! Will see how it goes it in the next couple of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall one version of the rules which said that Guards can either go down the Tunnel to make an arrest or they can "dig down" at any point at a cost of +1 MP. Seems sensible so that's how I'll be playing it.

The new Osprey rules are not perfect - when I went through them I found it necessary to add back a few of the old rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wills
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey all, just so I am clear about the Tunnel Detected card procedure. 2 Guards still have to enter the tunnel & at this point are all the POWs in the tunnel removed & sent to solitary, or is a dice roll needed to capture each POW individually with the Security Officer getting sent back to the Commander's Office for each arrest made & therefore requiring the Security Officer to place more guards in the Tunnel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordy anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would like to know the answer to the above as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.