10 Posts

1846: The Race for the Midwest» Forums » Rules

Subject: Backtracking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe this is a dumb question, but what exactly is meant by "backtracking" when tracing routes? For example, where a green tile has a connected hexside C from which track forks into two branches curving toward hexsides A and B, can a route be traced which enters A and exits B (turning against the acute angle)? Or may routes only trace through A-C or B-C and vice versa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an example:

You can travel from one hex side of the straight section of track to the other or from one hex side of the curved section of track to the other but you can't enter from the straight side (top), travel to where it meets the curved section and then reverse and exit from the other side of the curved section (bottom right).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Millar
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks, that's what I assumed from physics but I wanted to confirm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Doomclown wrote:
Thanks, that's what I assumed from physics but I wanted to confirm.

I'm not sure where physics comes into it; it's perfectly physically possible to reverse a train down the other branch at such a junction, and practical if it's of a sort you can drive from both ends. It's just 18xx trains that can't do it.

Bear in mind (and here I risk 1846 having some totally oddball rule) that you can exit a station on any side except the one you came in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The general rule is that a route may enter a hex and then follow any single continuous arc until it either exits the hex or encounters a revenue center, and in the latter case it may then follow any other single continuous arc, either to an edge or to another revenue center, ad infinitum, without arcs or edges repeating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be a little careful about "arc". I've seen some of your track. Perhaps "smooth line" is closer, specifically to avoid the case above. Another way to think of this is that the reverse in the tile above ends up touching too many edges (3).

Of course, with Lawson track, you're explicitly permitted to do angles as everyone has to, so that track is easier to run.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yeah, that's why the "general" qualifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Yeah, that's why the "general" qualifier.

Whoa! What is this from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It is a fragment of a map, generated by by ps18xx, for a prototype. The white track, normally used to represent dual gauge, is in this case used to represent that the particular track segment can be used by multiple trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But can they reverse on it?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.