Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Included in the Items for Game 6 are the Deluminator and the Elder Wand. In the story, these items don't come in until the last book (the Deluminator is briefly mentioned before then, but not used by Harry or his friends, or even named if I remember correctly). Is there a particular reason these are included in the Game 6 box, rather than with the Sword of Gryffindor in the Game 7 box?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I thought the same thing myself. I don't recall there being any egregious anachronisms in the previous years. (Some of the cards in the starting decks stick out, but I can forgive this since it saves you from having to replace starter cards between years.) I would be curious to hear the designers' thoughts about why they did this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fuhrman
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
(Not going to spoiler-fy this post, since I feel your title already is sufficient warning)

Actually, I feel like I have noticed many cards that have come out of "book" order in the Hogwarts cards as well as the Dark Arts cards, either later or earlier than you would have expected. For the most part, these seem to be things that are perhaps included in several of the books. I do agree, however, that some of the 6/7 ones are a little more of a stretch, seeing as they're such a key part of the plots of those books.

To me, it seems like any part of the game that appears "out of order" is generally done so for the purpose of the game mechanics. For example, "Hogwarts: A History" appears in game 4, because that's the introduction of the dice mechanic, even though the mention of that book appears in Chamber of Secrets, which is book 2 (if not before).

My guess is that game 6 essentially finally the game filled out with all the items/allies/spells to make the game balanced, and then they throw the switch with game 7 to pull out the last stop (the horcruxes) mechanically, even though thematically, a few things are out of order.

I could be completely off-base though. Just my guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.