Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Railroad Tycoon, Rails of Europe, Railways of Mexico and Railways of the Western U.S. The operations cards for these four maps have three different combinations of 3 & 4 point starter bonus cards.

I've heard or read that the combination in Railroad Tycoon is easier for one player to achieve both than the combinations in the other expansions. So far I have only played the Mexico map a couple of times, the Western US map seven times and the combined Eastern and Western US maps once mostly with players having less experience with the game than me.

Poll: Which 3 & 4 Point Starter Bonus Card Combination Do You Prefer?
I know of three different 3 & 4 point starter bonus operations card combinations involving four different cards:
Speed Record - The first player to make a 3-link delivery gains 3 points
Passenger Lines (3 cubes) - The first player to deliver 3 different goods (colors) (each to a different city) gains 3 points
New Train - The first player to upgrade to a level 4 train gains 4 points
Passenger Lines (4 cubes) - The first player to deliver 4 different goods (colors) gains 4 points
Which is your preferred combination?
Speed Record & New Train
Speed Record & Passenger Lines (4 cubes)
Passenger Lines (3 cubes) & New Train
Something else, please reply as to what it is
      16 answers
Poll created by pawnpusher

I'd appreciate any comments you would care to give.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Kraft
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to do a strategy that allows you to couple New Train and Speed Record within the first few turns and outstrip all of your opponents, possibly creating enough income to not have to borrow again for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speed Record and Passenger Lines (4) was introduced in Rails of Europe then brought back to replace Speed Record plus New Train from the base game because that's a bad combo.

I like Speed Record plus Passenger Lines (4) best but whatever you do I recommend against Speed Record plus New Train. Here is an old thread that details issues with that combo if you're interested: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/307574/replace-new-train-ca...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry,

Thanks for your comments and the link. I'm with you on the Speed Record and New Train. Since both require significant upgrades to one's train, I thought it would be way to easy for the same player to get both.

Have you played with the 3 cube Passenger Lines and the New Train?

That is the combination in Railways of the Western U.S. I'm guessing the designer wanted to try that instead of Speed Record and Passenger Lines (4).

I don't get a lot of opportunities to play the game, and when I do, I'm usually teaching at least one player. So I've been sticking with the same map, Western US with 4 players. I plan to branch out to other maps in the not too distant future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem. Yes, I've played with New Train plus Passenger Lines (3) on Western US 12 times so far. I think that's also the combination on the Canada map which I've played 3 times so far so maybe 15 total. I like it fine for variety but I like Speed Record plus Passenger Lines (4) much more (I've probably played that combo 40-50+ times).

I'm just fond of Speed Record over New Train I think. Though they both reward you for things you want to do anyways, Speed Record is something you have to setup, you don't just do it by executing 3 prescribed actions (upgrades). What I mean by that is you choose where to build and how to setup that delivery and it generally takes more time and planning to win it. I also really like that you can shortcut to it by borrowing someone's track and giving away a point or two, this makes the opening turns that much more tricky/tense as people working towards this need to be careful where they build and watch for other people's builds that may help their competitor get it first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
cubeconvict wrote:
It is possible to do a strategy that allows you to couple New Train and Speed Record within the first few turns and outstrip all of your opponents, possibly creating enough income to not have to borrow again for the remainder of the game.

That may help the player who does it win, but it's likely to also make the game less enjoyable for the other players. I'm wanting to spread the bonuses around to keep the game more competitively balanced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.