Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own 1st edition Pandemic vanilla and have played the Pandemic app and Legacy Season 1 with friends. I am wanting more Pandemic in my life. Not necessarily harder, but more variety to freshen up my base game.

I've scouted out the 1st Edition On The Brink for $30 in the BGG market. I like the new roles, event cards and petri dishes. Now I am wondering about abandoning my 1st edition and getting Pandemic Iberia!

Will Iberia do everything On the Brink does but better with more variety, balance and paths to victory? Or will I end up wanting On the Brink anyways and regret purchasing Iberia?

I am very particular about my game purchases, so I appreciate all your help. Love hearing people's thoughts.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, i was having the exact same thoughts yesterday.

I decided that the two games are different enough to warrant owning both.

I preordered Iberia and also picked up 'On the brink' (mainly for the petrie dishes if i'm honest) because I can see myself still playing the original from time to time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be That Person: Since you've already played Legacy, I would actually suggest going for Pandemic + In the Lab instead. I can't speak to Iberia yet and I have high hopes, but I CAN speak for the Lab challenge which is awesome and sufficiently different from anything in Legacy.

On the Brink is fun, but I (and my group) think Lab is much more fun and challenging. Brink is better as a bridge toward Lab, but if you've already done Legacy then I don't really think you need it. I'd still grab it at some point but not as a priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:
Just to be That Person: Since you've already played Legacy, I would actually suggest going for Pandemic + In the Lab instead. I can't speak to Iberia yet and I have high hopes, but I CAN speak for the Lab challenge which is awesome and sufficiently different from anything in Legacy.

On the Brink is fun, but I (and my group) think Lab is much more fun and challenging. Brink is better as a bridge toward Lab, but if you've already done Legacy then I don't really think you need it. I'd still grab it at some point but not as a priority.

All of this. Love In the Lab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't say enough great things about OtB.
And this is from someone that plays Pandemic 10x a day.

I can't wait to get Iberia too. Have high hopes for it but don't think it will displace vanilla Pandemic for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesechick wrote:

Thanks for your response. I had a couple thoughts...

The 'In the Lab' page says 'On the Brink' is required to play. To what degree is that true? Also this is a 2nd edition expansion, which means I would also need to buy the 2nd edition base game. This suggestion would be equivalent to buying both Iberia and On the Brink 1st edition. Unfortunately, I can't invest that much in something I already own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Pandemic (30+), OTB (15+) and ITL (10+). We played through the first Legacy season in 6 weeks and season 2 will probably receive a similar reception.
We will always be playing Pandemic, especially since the expansions allow us to mix it up. Bút, I have preordered Iberia because I want more variety, new challenges. And I might even fall dor Reign of Cthulhu one day, despite its theme.

Get Iberia before it's out of print. Should you not like it or should it not be different enough, you'll easily be able to sell it. Get OTB/ITL too. Try those first. I have written a full comparison on the two expansions earlier this year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Lory
United States
Dubuque
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Check out rahdo's final thoughts regarding combining In The Lab with the first edition base game (skip ahead to 11 minutes to hear the details). He shows that nearly everything is compatible so you really don't have to buy the second edition base game if you don't want to. Also, this article covers what parts of In The Lab require On The Brink: In The Lab components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
Now I am wondering about abandoning my 1st edition and getting Pandemic Iberia!

Don't get rid of your copy of base Pandemic until and unless you get the newer edition. Iberia doesn't provide more variety in the single box so much as it provides variety by being different from the original box. (At least not based on what I've seen about it without having had a chance to play it.)

As far as On the Brink goes, I wouldn't recommend buying the 1st edition. If you already had 1st edition of both the base and OtB, maybe it would make sense to stick with them but I don't think you should spend more money on what is something of a dead end.

If you buy 2nd edition OtB (or some other expansion) without re-purchasing the base game, many of the additional options will not be usable... but... you mentioned Pandemic Legacy. It has the same card back design as the 2nd edition, so you have the option of using the relevant decks from there instead. (In some cases you would almost certainly need to ignore some modifications that you made. I'm confident it would still be usable, though.) And you could then replace the base game with the 2nd edition when and if you decide you can afford it.

Oh, and the petri dishes are awesome. I've never understood why they didn't put them in the base game for the 2nd edition. Note, however, that they made the cubes and dishes a bit smaller in the 2nd edition and the 1st edition cubes won't fit in the 2nd edition petri dishes. Definitely a disadvantage of the approach I'm recommending. In fact, the 2nd edition OtB and In the Lab boxes are designed to hold all components from the base game... but it won't work for 1st edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
Cheesechick wrote:

Thanks for your response. I had a couple thoughts...

The 'In the Lab' page says 'On the Brink' is required to play. To what degree is that true? Also this is a 2nd edition expansion, which means I would also need to buy the 2nd edition base game. This suggestion would be equivalent to buying both Iberia and On the Brink 1st edition. Unfortunately, I can't invest that much in something I already own.

Well, looking at the component list... there are exactly four cards and twelve cubes from In the Lab that you would be unable to use without On the Brink. Plus half a page of rules. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Also, to re-emphasize what I said above... you can bypass the problems with different editions by using your cards from Legacy. It isn't as convenient as having the games be completely separate, but if you're worried about the cost, that's the way to go. (Or shoot... just use card sleeves with opaque backs. A pack of 100 high-quality sleeves can be had for about $6.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Mair
Canada
St. Hubert
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:

Though I do suggest that you go 2nd ed for everything, it is not your only choice. I too have 1st ed base game and 2nd ed everything else, you can order and upgrade pack from Z-Man that gives you all the 2nd ed cards for your 1st ed game allowing you to use the 2nd ed expansions. Works great, but you have to remember that your "Montreal" cards refer to the "Toronto" square on the 1st ed board.

That's also the reason why I would suggest buying a 2nd ed copy of the game, so you can get that sweet Montreal board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for everyone's help!

I have a friend who is going to let me borrow In The Lab! Very thematic. I have mixed feelings about it. It's nice multiple people can work on finding a cure, but it feels like it chops the game in half.

Half the game you're moving on the map. The other half you're standing motionless at a research station, moving cubes and cards around the lab board. It looks like you're forced to cure more cubes than usual to make the lab useful. You are spending extra actions to move cubes, rather than yourself. Hopefully you draw the right sequence card, otherwise you spend actions to get more random cards. Sounds like a lot of busy work.

Maybe I will fall in love with In The Lab. I'll find out when I play my friend's copy. Otherwise the question still stands...On the Brink vs Iberia?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hatch
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achasteen wrote:
Thanks for everyone's help!

I have a friend who is going to let me borrow In The Lab! Very thematic. I have mixed feelings about it. It's nice multiple people can work on finding a cure, but it feels like it chops the game in half.

Half the game you're moving on the map. The other half you're standing motionless at a research station, moving cubes and cards around the lab board. It looks like you're forced to cure more cubes than usual to make the lab useful. You are spending extra actions to move cubes, rather than yourself. Hopefully you draw the right sequence card, otherwise you spend actions to get more random cards. Sounds like a lot of busy work.

Yeah, it seems to be a very popular option, but I thought it was just OK. My brain is used to finding a cure being very simple in the end... so making it that much more complicated does make it feel like busy work for me at least. Kind of interesting busy work, admittedly, but it still feels like it shouldn't take that much effort. YMMV.

achasteen wrote:
Maybe I will fall in love with In The Lab. I'll find out when I play my friend's copy. Otherwise the question still stands...On the Brink vs Iberia?

I have to agree with AernoutMJC... if you don't have a very compelling reason to go with On the Brink, the fact that Iberia is a limited edition should be the deciding factor. You can always buy On the Brink later, and a few years from now if you decide you don't care for Iberia you might even be able to sell it for more than you paid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.