$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Color Blindness: how does a game look to someone with color blindness? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simula...

Pretty cool. Terraforming Mars is pretty bad for red-blind and blue-blind.

I've read a lot on this site about people who are color blind and bad-color choices, and man, I do feel sorry for people who have some form of this and are board game geeks; they really really have to pay close attention.

Definite eye-opener (no pun, is that a pun? intended)

Normal vision

With red-blind

blue-blind

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's terrible. I remember needing to memorize cards or spaces on boards in games like Robinson Crusoe and Broom Service. Other times I would pick starts that avoided color.

More designers need to just have symbols!

And not only that, but there are even some who think we're just making it up how difficult or unenjoyable it is to play some games: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24022928#24022928
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lesco
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will always appreciate the patience of my buddies I played pool with. After seeing me line up a shot on the brown, thinking it was one of the reds, a few too many times they took to dusting up the brown ball with the cue chalk for me.

I have learned that the upside to colour blindness is the opportunities you gain to see how kind your gaming opponents can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
flag msg tools
You can download a phone app called "CVSimulator" that uses your phone camera and a color filter to show various forms of color blindness. I tried to solve my rubiks cube using it and it was very hard.

I don't have anyone in my game group who is color blind, but most of the games in my small collection should be playable for anyone who was. Most of them have pictures on the board or cards that are not heavily dependant on color. The exception being ticket to ride, which does have shapes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Osiris Saline
Australia
Red Hill
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know it's a relatively new site, but Meeple Like Us - http://meeplelikeus.co.uk/ - including colourblindness ratings in their accessibility teardowns really helps.

My vision is awful, and mixed with colourblindness it does make certain board games a bit tough. You can tell which designers have considered it or not easily by looking at the backs of different cards & the boards themselves. Subtle colour differences are really rubbish.

A lot of games make up for it somewhat by including great symbols to show what's what (I'd really mark down Fantasy Flight games if their cards didn't have 'em), but in terms of game boards...yeah, it's a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
And not only that, but there are even some who think we're just making it up how difficult or unenjoyable it is to play some games: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/24022928#24022928

WTH??? My son is R/G colorblind and I'd slap the **** out of someone for talking to him like that. You win the patience award for that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal

Red-blind

Blue-blind

Jeez louise.

That is incredible. How anyone can be so ignorant as to say you're faking or exaggerating? Even the top one isn't easy for me, and either red or blue weak is almost impossible. If you can't see the color outline, the icons are barely distinctive.

You, my friend, were very patient on that thread.

Maybe even worse:

Normal

Red weak

Green Blind

If I've ever taken this lightly or not given it the attention it deserves, I gotta apologize. I had no idea how hard that can be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's an upcoming game called Stroop. It's a real time reaction game which employs the Stroop Effect. It occurred to me that this could be the first time color blind players might have a significant advantage in a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NowOrNever88 wrote:
It's terrible. I remember needing to memorize cards or spaces on boards in games like Robinson Crusoe and Broom Service. Other times I would pick starts that avoided color.

More designers need to just have symbols!

Agreed. But they need to be clear and reasonably obvious.

I love the TtR series for their clear symbols. They really make the game for me.

Luckily my usual gaming group are a) aware and b) considerate. I will get asked at the start if I have problems with the particular game and allowances are made.

One rare exception was DreamWell. I played that and it was more BadNightmare. To be fair I posted a negative comment against my ranking and the designer got back to me with an apology and a request for more information on my experience. So I went back to the store and checked the copy I played. Only then did I notice there were actually (unobtrusive) symbols as well. If I ever play it again it will be a much better experience, but it is unlikely to happen.

One major advantage for me (not game related) is that my night vision is considerably better than most. I recently heard this is quite common.

And oddly, I can often spot subtle differences in colour that "normal" people miss. Probably because I pay more attention to the tonal variation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Just curious if anyone who is responded that has color blindness has ever tried EnChroma corrective glasses or similar products and if they work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Graham
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried any of the corrective glasses etc.

For games, I kickstarted Scoville as it boasted of colour blind friendliness. Really wasn't helpful for me. Had to keep asking people what colour chilis were used in which recipes so it tipped my hand as to what I was trying to complete

That game review site mentioned above is excellent, I've been working my way through it over the past few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a friend who is colorblind. I recently got Roll for the Galaxy but after reading the rules I was a bit incredulous that the allowances for colorblindness would actually be effective since it relies so much on color, but I liked the game. So I took it to game night and I showed my friend the game and he said he'd give it a try. We played and he said he actually enjoyed the game and would play again. So kudos to the RGG for producing a fun game and designing an accessible game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:
Just curious if anyone who is responded that has color blindness has ever tried EnChroma corrective glasses or similar products and if they work?

I haven't tried them, but I did talk about them to an optometrist. She basically said they were nonsense. She pointed out that if the cones (rods??) are missing or faulty, no amount of colour tinted lenses will fix the problem. At best, they can mute all the other colours down to the same level as the defective ones.

Many years ago I did come across some specially tinted sunglasses designed for the snow that made colours seem brighter. I wondered if they corrected my colour vision even partially and had some tests done. Nope still colour blind with them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:

Normal vision

blue-blind

They look identical
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
civet5285 wrote:

Definite eye-opener (no pun, is that a pun? intended)

Yes, that's a pun. I think anything eye-related would qualify in this context, but especially anything related to the ability (or inability) to see, of which this one is the former.

civet5285 wrote:

I've read a lot on this site about people who are color blind and bad-color choices, and man, I do feel sorry for people who have some form of this and are board game geeks; they really really have to pay close attention.

I agree. I'm not colourblind myself, but I have played in groups with colourblind players, so I've experienced a shade of their pain by proxy (ie: taking time to pick distinguishable colours of meeples, or helping them keep track when that's not possible.)

(pun ALSO not intended, btw. I didn't notice it until I was re-reading; decided to leave it in. Please don't hate me )

Considering how surprisingly common the condition is (Red-blind is something like 1 in 7 for men, I think?) it's really a shame that more board game designers don't take this into consideration. A few symbols, a little time spent on meeple colour selection. It doesn't take much, certainly doesn't require reworking any actual rules for your game. And websites/apps like this that let someone with normal vision literally see what their game looks like in different colourblind scenarios only makes it that much easier to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
They look identical

Then you have some type of color blindness, right?

(Or a badly adjusted monitor. Or a monochrome monitor. Or are just joking and I didn't get it...)

Edited to add: of course the 3 images in the original post are all different from one another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
bradelli wrote:
They look identical

Then you have some type of color blindness, right?

(Or a badly adjusted monitor. Or a monochrome monitor. Or are just joking and I didn't get it...)

Quite seriously, Those two look different to me, but the first two in the original post look identical. And yes, I am Red-Green colour blind.
Blue-Yellow is much rarer. Though still more common than Total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normal

Red-weak/blind

Blue weak/blind

Yeah, I see several of those chili meeples that really are difficult to distinguish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first 2 pictures look the same to me. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbocooler wrote:

I'm also curious about this. I read the science behind them and it made sense to me. I haven't found a shop yet where I can try a pair though.

A product like this would easily sell itself if it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, and that means brown, green, red and orange all look like slightly different shades of grey-green.

On a board:

Normal

Red weak/blind

Blue weak/blind

Either green and red (in the first) or red and yellow (in the second) are really difficult on that board to distinguish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brother and my youngest son are both color blind. I play a lot of games with my son and often forget about it. I remember when we first played Battlestar Galactica with him. We were worried about the skill checks, but we simply said the types of cards (pilot, engineering, etc.) and moved on. Hasn't effected or ability to play or enjoyment of playing games in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
I kickstarted Scoville as it boasted of colour blind friendliness. Really wasn't helpful for me. Had to keep asking people what colour chilis were used in which recipes so it tipped my hand as to what I was trying to complete

Even those of us without colourblindeness struggle with this one, the chilli colours printed on the cards are so close together they are hard to distinguish between one another, especially from over a table.... I cant believe they marketed themselves as colourblind friendly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've known people who use sharpies to mark up cards so color blind players can make out what colors they are. Games included Taj Mahal (by Knizia) and Race For The Galaxy. Worked out quite well!

voodoochyl wrote:
My brother and my youngest son are both color blind. I play a lot of games with my son and often forget about it. I remember when we first played Battlestar Galactica with him. We were worried about the skill checks, but we simply said the types of cards (pilot, engineering, etc.) and moved on. Hasn't effected or ability to play or enjoyment of playing games in any way.
Glad we didn't have any color blind people with us because 1 person (for some reason) simply couldn't refer to the skill cards by name. When one person said he needed to draw 2 Leadership and 2 Tactics and 1 Piloting, he'd get flustered and just ask us what colors those were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Lanza
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Thank you for responding -- I learned something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.