jordan winslow
msg tools
As usual Retailers and scumbags across the globe are taking extreme advantage of "new game" hype and listing this card game for 20-50% more than the suggested retail listed on FFG's own website. Even Amazon is trying to pawn off this game at almost $50 with over 12 dollar shipping! On a card game!

It never ceases to amaze me how individuals will take advantage of new titles being released and attempt to exploit the demand of the market by buying as many copies as possible to deny anyone else getting a reasonable price, then selling theirs at 50% markup or greater.

Then you go look at Eldritch Horror, an excellent game that is past it's days of hype, which contains a serious amount more in the box, and it's listed for LESS.

Arkham Horror Card Game:
5 Investigators, 234 cards in total, and some tokens. The box weighs 2 pounds.

Eldritch Horror:
12 Investigators, 250 tokens, and over 300 cards, along with a well sized board. The box weighs almost 5 pounds. And it costs $46 on amazon with free shipping if you spend a couple more dollars on a misc. Item.

My advice to anyone who can't snag a copy from a website selling for a reasonable price and must resort to buying it for $50 or more, if you dont already own Eldritch Horror:
Buy Eldritch Horror, get WAY more game for your money, then buy this game when the hype train dies down.

For now you can preorder the game from miniature market or others for the appropriate price of around $35

Heres a link I found to help http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc01.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: My Advice for the Budget Conscious: Get eldritch horror until the hype dies down then buy this game for $35
pandoratranquil wrote:
As usual Retailers and scumbags across the globe are taking extreme advantage of "new game" hype and listing this card game for 20-50% more than the suggested retail listed on FFG's own website. Even Amazon is trying to pawn off this game at almost $50 with over 12 dollar shipping! On a card game!

It never ceases to amaze me how individuals will take advantage of new titles being released and attempt to exploit the demand of the market by buying as many copies as possible to deny anyone else getting a reasonable price, then selling theirs at 50% markup or greater.

Then you go look at Eldritch Horror, an excellent game that is past it's days of hype, which contains a serious amount more in the box, and it's listed for LESS.

Arkham Horror Card Game:
5 Investigators, 234 cards in total, and some tokens. The box weighs 2 pounds.

Eldritch Horror:
12 Investigators, 250 tokens, and over 300 cards, along with a well sized board. The box weighs almost 5 pounds. And it costs $46 on amazon with free shipping if you spend a couple more dollars on a misc. Item.

My advice to anyone who is limited on funds and doesn't already own Eldritch Horror:
Buy Eldritch Horror, get WAY more game for your money, then buy this game when the hype train dies down.

My advice for those of you who have plenty of money to spare - do what you want! Buy it at a higher price if it pleases you, but don't complain about me posting this or write some patronizing diatribe about how "it's like that for any game" "you should expect this on any new product" or any other irrelevant, self-satisfied response, as this post was not for you in the first place.

You do realize that the game isn't actually out yet and anything you see is people who got copies at Arkham Nights trying to make money, right?

Wait until it actually releases, it'll be MSRP or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Hathaway
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: My Advice for the Budget Conscious: Get eldritch horror until the hype dies down then buy this game for $35
I have no beef with your advice, it makes sense and Arkham Horror the Card Game is definitely overpriced.

Although isn't Eldritch Horror a very different type of game? Maybe your comparison should be to go out and buy Lord of the Rings LCG. If so I reckon the price difference and amount of game in the box becomes very similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just pre-order from all the online game stores (CS, MM, etc) selling it for under $35.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the OP know how Amazon actually works? The high price you see there isn't Amazon. It's a third-party seller that's selling through Amazon. Once the game is actually released and available from Amazon themselves it'll be less than MSRP. As others have said, you can easily preorder from places like Miniature Market or Cool Stuff and others for less than MSRP. The original post is much ado about nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmb
DancingFool wrote:
Does the OP know how Amazon actually works? The high price you see there isn't Amazon. It's a third-party seller that's selling through Amazon. Once the game is actually released and available from Amazon themselves it'll be less than MSRP. As others have said, you can easily preorder from places like Miniature Market or Cool Stuff and others for less than MSRP. The original post is much ado about nothing.

Nope, the OP doesn't know how Amazon works.

Why there continue to be people who don't know how Amazon works in 2016 I cannot possibly fathom. But those tend to be the same people who fly off the handle with their reactions so take that for what its worth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if he knows about CoolStuffInc, MiniatureMarket, etc.? Using Amazon for new board games is rarely a good idea. Even worse for pre-orders.

This thread is nonsense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan winslow
msg tools
stevelabny wrote:

Nope, the OP doesn't know how Amazon works.

Why there continue to be people who don't know how Amazon works in 2016 I cannot possibly fathom. But those tend to be the same people who fly off the handle with their reactions so take that for what its worth

Ah yes....there is always a few people who find the one sentence they don't like, skip the entire discussion and interject with an off-topic, condescending opinion with their superior ego.

Why there continue to be people who make broad implications on a person's character, or sumize the entire scope of their intellect based off a few lines of text in 2016 is an enigma that escapes my understandng.

Perhaps you missed the part where I said "Retailers (and) scumbags across the globe" meaning I recognize third parties can sell products on amazon. My point was that Amazon generally has the lowest prices and even they have exorbant fees for preordering or obtaining a board game on initial release.

It's not as big of a deal in the video game industry where $60 is pretty much the cap set on games, but in board gaming it makes the hobby somewhat unaccesable with these jerks who buy a bunch of copies than pawn them off for ludicrous prices. I'm repeating myself because you didn't read my post apparently, but are capable of condescending something you do not even have an understanding of.

Also to everyone else's comments, yes eldritch horror is a different type of game but still lovecraftian, still exploration and mitigation of chapter stats to accomplish goals, and aside from taking longer to play is an excellent substitute while waiting for this excellent looking card game to go through the process of reaching the actual msrp suggested by FFG which has historically taken months except for the rare few who pick up the first printing right out of the gate (generally not possible with online retailers but there are exceptions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralsar wrote:
Wonder if he knows about CoolStuffInc, MiniatureMarket, etc.? Using Amazon for new board games is rarely a good idea. Even worse for pre-orders.

This thread is nonsense.

True but for a time Mansions of Madness 2nd was selling really cheap (beating MM and CSI) after it was released on Amazon -- granted this is not the norm anymore. I like to add games I am interested in to my camelcamelcamel list and occasionally Amazon has some weird price flux and you can get a great deal (assuming you just didn't order from CSI or MM already).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've saved us all from buying from Amazon. It is such an obscure website that there is probably lots of people who don't know that buying overpriced crap on Amazon isn't a good idea. Well done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan winslow
msg tools

Nice!

A quick Google search or Google shopping search of "preorder arkham horror card game" does not turn up with any of these sites for some reason, making the average hobbyist assume they need to go to amazon or other sites to purchase. No one had so far posted an actual link to a reasonable price yet, but after going straight to miniature market I found one, so this is perfect!

Thanks for your suggestion, although your abbreviations aren't very newb friendly.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc01.html

I react the title of my post, and leave it here solely for the discussion of exploitation of anticipation and ignorance of common shoppers to board game specific sales sites that actually DO have reasonable prices for new titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even better advice; wait a month or two after the game's general release for the inevitable wave of used games on the resale market.

I acquired multiple core sets this way of Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Android: Netrunner all for $25 or less per copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't find that Amazon has the best prices on games they are directly selling. Once in a while they have a deal of the day or what is probably a pricing error on games. Almost always CSI and MM beat their prices.

It seems on really popular games Amazon (like Pandemic Legacy) is closer to the online stores but on non mainstream games the prices can be a ton higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miniature Market:
19+ copies avalable
Pre-order

Wait, what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pandoratranquil wrote:

Nice!

A quick Google search or Google shopping search of "preorder arkham horror card game" does not turn up with any of these sites for some reason, making the average hobbyist assume they need to go to amazon or other sites to purchase. No one had so far posted an actual link to a reasonable price yet, but after going straight to miniature market I found one, so this is perfect!

Thanks for your suggestion, although your abbreviations aren't very newb friendly.

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ffgahc01.html

I react the title of my post, and leave it here solely for the discussion of exploitation of anticipation and ignorance of common shoppers to board game specific sales sites that actually DO have reasonable prices for new titles.

Sorry I think there is the expectation that everyone on BBG knows about CoolStuff and Minature Market. If you are new they are both great online stores.

Another site that is good to checkout is boardgameprices.com -- kind of like a google shopping for a boardgames but a limited list of vendors. Also, can be helpful tracking down a game that is out of stock at lots of online vendors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Even better advice; wait a month or two after the game's general release for the inevitable wave of used games on the resale market.

I acquired multiple core sets this way of Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and Android: Netrunner all for $25 or less per copy.

Back in my day those core sets WERE about $25, NEW, from an OLGS. It's that new fangled pricing Asmodee Scheme...

GET OFF MY LAWN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pandoratranquil wrote:
Ah yes....there is always a few people who find the one sentence they don't like, skip the entire discussion and interject with an off-topic, condescending opinion with their superior ego.

That one line disrupts your entire premise, so yeah, picking out one line seems like a reasonable response. The rest of the topic is moot when your initial premise is invalid or incorrect.

pandoratranquil wrote:
Why there continue to be people who make broad implications on a person's character, or sumize the entire scope of their intellect based off a few lines of text in 2016 is an enigma that escapes my understandng.

Like you did here?

pandoratranquil wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pandoratranquil wrote:
sumize

Sometimes you don't need even a few lines .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan winslow
msg tools
Idaho11 wrote:
pandoratranquil wrote:
sumize

Sometimes you don't need even a few lines .

Cute. Typing responses on a phone will do that ocassionally.

Just a tip: correcting the typos of your opposition doesn't strengthen an argument, it just comes off as a desperate attempt to change topics to avoid being wrong.:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jordan winslow
msg tools
kelann08 wrote:
pandoratranquil wrote:

That one line disrupts your entire premise, so yeah, picking out one line seems like a reasonable response. The rest of the topic is moot when your initial premise is invalid or incorrect.

pandoratranquil wrote:

Like you did here?

pandoratranquil wrote:

Nice try but I'm not getting into an inflated ego battle with you.

If you thought the point was moot then you should have moved on to a different thread instead of donning the BGG sheriff's badge. But if it gives you a greater sense of self worth to be "right" then by all means, I concede defeat to your superior intellect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP doesn't believe in capitalism I guess... Ha.

People will buy something if they think it's worth it. They won't if they don't. If someone is able to mark it up good for them. They're smarter than the guy paying more because they don't know where else to, knowledge is leverage and advantageous in business.

FFG makes a profit too you know. I guess if individuals do it it's wrong.

If someone prices too high they won't get a sale. If it's low enough that the demand accepts then great, win win, profit is made and consumer gets a game at an acceptable enough price.

This is not hoarding bread and water here. These are items that are supposed to be bought with disposable income.

I can't stand the proposterously indignant outrage people have at others having business acumen. Get over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clip611 wrote:
Honestly I don't find that Amazon has the best prices on games they are directly selling. Almost always CSI and MM beat their prices.

No, but what they do have is free shipping on smaller orders. If I can get up to $100 then I'm going to order from MM or CSI. But all I really want is two copies of Arkham Horror for $67.98. Now I need to come up with another $32.02 worth of stuff to get the free shipping but I don't really need that stuff. If you only wanted one copy then it's even more pronounced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved from Arkham Horror Card Game forum to Discussing Retailers

Please do not promote specific retail sites in the game forums. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCollector wrote:
Miniature Market:
19+ copies avalable
Pre-order

Wait, what?

What, what? Are you confused about why they only sell a fixed number of preorders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.