Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter got a lot of buzz when it was first published a couple years ago.
But because we're not zombie fans, I brushed it aside.

However, when I heard from others that it’s not like typical zombie games, I was intrigued and continued to wonder about it ever since.

So earlier this year I got a copy in a SaltCon game trade and am so glad I did. Because Dead of Winter is a blast!

Dead of Winter

Dead of Winter is a cooperative board game where players are a group of survivors trying to last through the winter after a zombie apocalypse.

Like most cooperative board games, players are trying to complete a common objective. However, even though everyone is working together to complete a main objective, players also have their own secret objectives to complete. Only players who complete their secret objective will win.

Players also have to be careful because within the group may be a Betrayer working against the colony!

Will you be able to survive the Dead of Winter?

Since the game has been out for a couple years, rather than explain how to play, I'm going to jump right to the 13 Reasons I Love Dead of Winter. Then I'll cover our thought on if it's a good family fit.

13 Reasons why I love playing Dead of Winter

1. Immersed in the Game

As you can see, there’s plenty going on in Dead of Winter. But once players get started, it’s easy to get immersed in the experience and lose track of time.

I was naturally curious about Dead of Winter when it first came out because I really enjoy playing cooperative board games. But since I’m not a fan of zombie-themed anything, I was turned off by it.

Yet, I’d hear that it’s a zombie game that doesn’t really feel like a zombie game. So I figured I’d give it a try. Come to find out, I’ve had a blast.

It’s not that I’ve become a zombie fan at all. I'm still turned off by zombie movies, TV shows, books and games.

Dead of Winter just feels different.

2. Variety of Objectives

With 20 different Main Objectives, there’s tons of replay value in Dead of Winter. Players can either choose one they want or select them randomly.

The Main Objective cards even indicate the length of the scenario at the bottom of the card – Short, Medium, or Long.

The objectives all drive the game in unique ways. In some cases you may need to survive a certain number of rounds. While in others you may need to collect different items or kill a certain number of zombies.

In addition, each objective lists a different way for setting up the game. So every time you play, you’ll start out differently and try to accomplish different things.

3. Personal Secret Objectives and Potential Betrayer

So much of the game experience revolves around secret objectives. Not knowing what other players are trying to do creates a fair amount of tension.

It’s most likely they’re trying to complete the main objective just like you. However, one of them could be a Betrayer. You just don’t know!

Since some secret objectives have players hoarding cards, they may look suspicious. On the other hand they may just be doing it to complete their secret objective and still be on your side.

Likewise, if your secret objective is to collect Food cards, you may look quite suspicious when you don’t use those cards to help feed the survivors in the colony.

This secretive aspect in a cooperative game is very cool.

Some cooperative games get a bad rap for having an “alpha gamer” problem – in that one person takes control and tells everyone else what to do. But this doesn’t occur in Dead of Winter because of the secret objectives and this dice rolling and variety of options.

4. Crisis Contributions

Adding to the secretive aspect of the game are the contributions to the Crisis each round.

Since players have to contribute item cards facedown toward the crisis, no one really knows what they’re putting in the mix. Of course they say they added the right items, but can you be sure?

And as the game progresses, the amount of cards of the needed items to contribute may go down. So the tension increases as players debate who can or will contribute for the round.

5. Rolling Dice Simultaneously

Even though players take turns throughout the game, at the start of a round everyone rolls their dice at once. This is great for a couple reasons.

First, it allows players to plan out their potential actions ahead of time.

Second, it lets players discuss how they can work together beforehand. For example, based on their dice roll perhaps the 3rd player’s best options are to search a certain area. So the other players could focus their actions on different activities such as building barricades or contributing to the crisis.

Even when it’s not your turn, you’re engaged with what’s happening to the rest of the survivors.

6. Crossroads Cards

The huge deck of Crossroads cards are awesome!

At the start of every turn, a Crossroads card is looked at by an adjacent player to see what the trigger conditions are. The event may trigger at the start of the player’s turn or during the middle of their turn.

For example, if they move to a certain location or take a certain action during their turn the event on the card may be triggered. But the active player won’t know until it happens.

Sometimes nothing is triggered because the conditions aren’t met.

But many times they are. And when that happens everyone gets excited.

Dead of Winter board game
The Crossroads cards add so much flavor and interesting twists and choices to the game.
While the active player is the one who must make the choice, everyone else will definitely chime in.

These cards add a lot of flavor and give the game its story-like flare.

Another thing we like about these cards is that some of them have an icon that indicates mature themes – so they can easily be removed from the game.

Yep, we tossed those out.

7. Searching

I love that each locations has their own unique deck of Item cards.

Rather than just having a large deck of cards that get randomly dispersed to the different locations, players now have reasons for going to certain locations.

If they were all dispersed randomly, it wouldn’t make a difference what locations survivors went to for rummaging. If one area is getting overrun with zombies, players could simply go to another location and the probability of what they find would be the same.

But in Dead of Winter, the locations matter.

Items have different probabilities of appearing at different locations. The types are listed as icons the top of the location cards. The icons to the left are more likely than those on the right.

For example, survivors will find more food at the Grocery Store and more medicine at the Hospital.

So if the Grocery Store has a bunch of zombies and you’re in need of food, that’s just too bad. A brave survivor will have to go for it.

8. Finding Survivors

The other fun thing about Searching is that you’ll also find lots of other helpful things along the way – including other survivors!

In addition to finding items to equip to your survivors, you may also find other survivors that will then become your followers. This in turn means you get more dice to roll and more actions on your turns.

Off course, it also means you’ve got more chances of losing one of your survivors…

9. No Player Elimination

Even though your survivors may die, you’re never out of the game.

If your leader dies, then one of your followers becomes your new leader. If your last survivor dies, the player removes all cards in their hand from the game and draws a new survivor card, making that survivor their leader.

Our first time playing the game, on one player’s first turn, he sent his first survivor to a new location. When he rolled the Exposure die, it was a Bite result and that survivor died. He then sent his remaining survivor to another location. Once again the Exposure die roll ended up as a Bite! And just like that both of his survivors were gone and we were down 2 Morale.

It was a rough start to the game being down on Morale so quickly, but he wasn’t eliminated from the game. We all felt the pressure and dug into the game even more. Very cool.

10. Survivor Abilities

Many modern board games provide special abilities to game characters – especially cooperative board games. So this really isn’t anything new.

But in Dead of Winter, these abilities are so crucial. And it’s hard to say which abilities we like most.

Obviously the abilities that don’t require survivors to roll the exposure die are pretty cool. But so are the abilities that allow people more efficient searching.

One of the things we like most about this is that players get to choose their starting survivors. Rather than just being given one randomly, all players take 4 survivor cards and choose 2 to start with.

It’s a fun choice right from the start.

11. Player Boards and other Components

The Player Boards are very handy in Dead of Winter.

Not only do they provide an area for a player’s survivors and dice, but they also provide a fantastic reference for remembering the order things occur each round as well as possible player actions.

It may sound simple, but even having a spot for Unspent Dice and Spent Dice is helpful on a players turn. Because sometimes, many things can happen after taking a dice action and it’s nice to remember which dice results are left to work with.

We also like the quality of all the components. For example, the two markers that track the Round and Morale are rings rather than cubes or discs. It may sound too simple, but being able to see the number of the space the marker is on is very nice. Having the markers ring shaped is slick.

We also love that all the female characters in the game are modestly dressed. Too many themed board games disrespect women characters with immodest attire. I guess that’s one good reason for the setting of the game to be winter – it makes sense they’re all bundled up.

12. Exposure Die

We know a lot of people can’t stand the Exposure Die.

We’ve heard it said that this is the most hated die in all board gaming.

But we get a kick out of it!

Even in the situation we mentioned above where a player’s two survivors were lost in in the first round through successive Exposure Die rolls we had a great time.

I don’t know what the exact probability of that happening is, but it’s pretty slim.

We mostly love the Exposure Die because of how much tension it can bring to the game. We know we need to move to another location or to kill one more zombie. But doing so will require the die roll – do we go for it anyway? We’re all on the edge of our seat with every roll.

And that makes for a fun game.

13. Game Variants

Like many modern board games, players can also try a few different game variations in Dead of Winter. One of the suggested variations included in the rulebook is the Betrayer Variant. In this variant, when creating the Secret Objective deck to start the game players only add in 1 non-betrayer secret objective card for each player rather than the standard 2 cards. This dramatically increases the likelihood that a Betrayer will be in their midst.

There’s plenty of replay value in Dead of Winter even without the suggested variants, but it’s great to have them in there.

Can the whole family enjoy Dead of Winter?

I’m sure you’ve picked up by now that Dead of Winter is not well suited for families wanting to play with young kids.

Dead of Winter is best suited for teenagers and above.

Like me when I first heard about the game, the zombie theme will turn off a lot of people. In addition, the artwork and red splotches will also turn off a number of people. To help you determine the suitability for your family or friends, we’ve made sure to provide a representative sample of the imagery in the game in our photos.

On the other hand, there’s a reason why so many zombie shows and games are being made – because there are a lot of people who love the theme. They’ll love the chance to hold out against a zombie attack.

At the same time, the theme and artwork aren’t the only things to consider in regards to who in your family may like Dead of Winter.

Even outside the zombie theme, the game is a bit advanced and can take a long time to play.

There are plenty of things going on within the game to keep track of. And with all the decisions to be made, much time passes between player turns.

Yet because it’s a cooperative game, players will have plenty to discuss even when it isn’t their turn.

In our family, mom isn’t interested in playing Dead of Winter for both of those reasons – zombie theme and length of play.

How does Dead of Winter score on our “Let’s Play Again” game meter?

Outside of mom, Dead of Winter scores high on our “let’s play again” game meter.

Due to the length it isn’t a game we play back to back. But it is a game that we look forward to playing when we’re after a very engaging cooperative game.

And with Halloween this month, it’s hitting the table a few times for sure.

Many of the reasons I describe above (such as the variety of objectives, crossroads cards, and plenty of different survivors) contribute to it being a great game for playing multiple times.

Follow The Board Game Family:
A list of all our family board game and card game video reviews can also be found on BGG in this Family Video Reviews GeekList.
www.TheBoardGameFamily.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/BoardGameFamily
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheBoardGameFamily
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.