5 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Variants

Subject: Longer Variant Request rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the game is great, quickly becoming my favorite solo development game. The one thing I would change about it (other than long setup/teardown) is the length of the game. I find this to be true of pretty much every development euro, but it would be great if this was longer. I can't see an obvious good way to increase the length, but I'm curious if anyone out there wants to give ideas. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a real quick idea for a longer variant. I haven't tried it, though.

During setup start with all 4 exploration boards (each on the side with the most negative points), use a 3rd color of meeple but only 1 per round instead of 2 (basically extending the game by 7 rounds and providing you with 1 extra meeple every other round). After the 7th round you'll start removing the 3rd color meeple but remove them in reverse order (meaning the harvests will be the opposite), you'll get 1-4, then 1-3, then 1-2, then 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Huger wrote:
So the game is great, quickly becoming my favorite solo development game. The one thing I would change about it (other than long setup/teardown) is the length of the game. I find this to be true of pretty much every development euro, but it would be great if this was longer. I can't see an obvious good way to increase the length, but I'm curious if anyone out there wants to give ideas. Thanks in advance.

Just adding rounds seems like it would work, but there isn't an easy way to do that on the board.

If you want to make it REALLY long, try playing a second game after the first, campaign style. Off the top of my head I would say you keep any TILES you had unplaced from the first game, but everything else goes away. This would potentially give you a higher-scoring second game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dok Indigo
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that the games needs to be longer. You will eventually just use any of the expansion boards and houses and end up with excess tiles you can not place.

GAFBlizzard wrote:

If you want to make it REALLY long, try playing a second game after the first, campaign style. Off the top of my head I would say you keep any TILES you had unplaced from the first game, but everything else goes away. This would potentially give you a higher-scoring second game.

I like that idea. I suggest do not keep the tiles but the (or some) occupation cards. That way, your vikings will have the same abilities as in the first game. That maybe to strong, perhaps keep the occupation cards, but take them back to your hand.

Also keeping ships or emigrated ships will make it more of a follow up game (I would not count the points on the kept ships and emigration tiles in the second game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Melo
msg tools
mbmb
I'm not sure I would actually do it, because the somewhat shorter play time is actually a plus for me, but I had an idea for a "longer" game that might be interesting to try.

Pick up two player boards, and play with four colors, plus the 4-player expansion boards. Essentially, you're going to run two single player games concurrently. The boards/players can share resources, occupations, etc, and you're shooting for a score of... I don't know. 200 seems too high because of the tight competition for spots you create with yourself, but it also seems like it should be achievable with great difficulty, which is where you want a solo goal to be. This should basically double the length of the game and create a really interesting play experience, but just because something sounds interesting doesn't mean its fun. Feel free to test and let me know. :-P

Ultimately, though, one of the great joys of solo gaming is that you can tweak things to your liking, so go nuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.