BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Game Pricing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meeple Up
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
War of the ring anniversary was the most I have spent on a single purchase and Mechs VS Minions was the best value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
As long as you stay off kickstarter and don't have certain tastes that tend to cost more staying under $50 a game is pretty easy if you stick to watching sales. Personally for retail purchases I have a list of things I want and the price I'll pay for them I don't buy them until they go under that price. As long as you aren't impatient it's easy to keep prices down to reasonable levels.

Kickstarter is another story, it's more like gambling. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose, but I don't think I've overpaid for any of the things that have actually shown up.

Most fun for the least money? Sushi Go. New with a slightly dented tin marked down to $2 and then 50% off for a total of $1.07 including tax. Easily worth it even if it hadn't bee 50% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People will judge a game's price mainly by its components. Nobody wants to pay $80 for 30 cards, no matter how well balanced and elegant the gameplay. But a game with poor play and sweet high quality minis might find some buyers anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the thing? 5x the manufacturing cost? Yup.

https://blog.foxtrotgames.com/2016/02/05/distribution-cash-f...

That's the beast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Orr
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeepleUp wrote:
War of the ring anniversary was the most I have spent on a single purchase and Mechs VS Minions was the best value.

It's going to be hard to beat Mechs vs Minions for best value. That game is more like Riot's love letter to the game industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd look to The Networks as a game that was priced perfectly at $50.

I think one of the smartest things a designer can do is to ask play testers what they would be willing to pay for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Pinter
United States
Liverpool
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
by definition, if it is overpriced, I didn't buy it. I've passed on games like Pitchcar, Galaxy Trucker, and the like all because the games cost too much for my best estimate of how much I'd enjoy them.

However, I also bought Mechs vs. Minions for $86 (which includes tax & shipping) and think it was well worth it.

I also don't think I own any games I would have been willing to pay 2x for. There is too much competition and I would have just bought a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
sigilgame wrote:
Great feedback. This helps me a ton.

Where would be the best place to get some testers?

We are considering a print in play but our testers would need combat dice, 2 20 sided dice and a hex board to make it work.

I know they could go out and by Magic The Gathering board game for like $15 on Amazon and get those components.

Is that asking too much of the play testers?

Expecting people to have d20 for a print and play is fine. You should include files to print the hex board as well as paper standees if those are necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat dice and 2 D20s? or are those the combat dice?

It's reasonable to expect that a regular gamer willing to playtest your game already has or can easily get D20s. No problem there.

If the combat dice are custom D6, you can include a table with equivalences to use with regular dice (i.e. 1-3 is miss, 4-5 is a hit, 6 is critical) or if there are many different face values and distributions on the dice, you can include the icons to be cut and pasted over the pips of a bunch of regular D6.

If they are non-D6 custom dice that's a bit more problematic, although I have seen some PnP games that use tokens drawn from a bag to replace those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam (Away/AFK)
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Board Game Design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mechs vs Minions is an unfair comparison point for most manufacturers. They were able to ignore the usual rule about 5x the manufacturing cost because:

1 - it was made by a well established company with a massive audience and a huge cash reserve

2 - it had huge buy in from the game review company, so they could afford to print in huge numbers

3 - they were selling it themselves and ignoring the distribution chain, so they could raise the initial production cost, as they are not giving 60% of the price to other middlemen.

That said, I think quality of components is the biggest factor in determining, for me, whether a game is priced well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.