Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why split this up into multiple overpriced boxes? I really don't get the marketing behind this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
Apparently it was originally designed to be a wargame like Warhammer 40K and halfway through development, they decided to make it a board game instead so it looks like they're still holding onto their wargaming design and pricing structure which to me seems like a really bad idea. They're acting like it's a wargame and a board game and so far they seem to be disappointing both sides. The game itself looks really good but these prices are pretty absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's gutting. Looks really cool, but I dropped out as I can just see the costs spiralling. Much as I like the look of the minatures (if you can call some of them that) they don't represent good value for gameplay. Asthetics wise - definitely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, $400 aussie and not including shipping... yikes!

Looks amazing and really interesting though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nox Noxley
Germany
Waldstetten
flag msg tools
Yes, prices are way too much for me, too. Especially when I compare the content/price-ratio with another Kickstarterproject like "Deep Madness". I will back down to minimum just for watching, since the game itself looks nice (but then again: not THAT nice for my wallet to agree on )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Unique sculpts for all the minis. The expansions are expensive because they're resin. Overall, this is miniatures first, game second. The game looks well-made, but there's a lot of focus on presentation here, and it won't be everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bennett
United Kingdom
Par
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got an EB pledge on Deep Madness, although even that is a push considering Siege of the Citadel has just finished. The kids can have coal for Christmas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
AstorSigma wrote:
Apparently it was originally designed to be a wargame like Warhammer 40K and halfway through development, they decided to make it a board game instead so it looks like they're still holding onto their wargaming design and pricing structure which to me seems like a really bad idea. They're acting like it's a wargame and a board game and so far they seem to be disappointing both sides. The game itself looks really good but these prices are pretty absurd.

I don't agree with you. The game is simple - to simple. It does nothing over neuroshima and cry havoc apart from minis that you would have to dish out huge amount of cash to get all of them. This is a nice pice of Scake packed in realy good marketing. I watched it played and I't is just huge overpiced and overhyped pice or rubbish

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt K
msg tools
Wow, dude. Did the game physically assault you too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darius Blackwell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nope - It had it chance in Essen but i run fast enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nox Noxley
Germany
Waldstetten
flag msg tools
Seems like several backers are finally realizing the unreasonable pledges (actuallly they even seem to loose backers).

More and more voices in the kickstarter-comments ask for a new pledge excluding the books and the trippling of unnecessary gaming elements, thus lowering the price for backing all 6 factions.

Up to now those voices of reason have been consistently ignored. Let's see if they keep ignoring those... shake

EDIT: Ok, they finally reacted and announced a change in the pledges!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Bean
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that pricing is getting slightly better. The Conflict boxes will come with a Factions box now so its 3 factions at the price that was previously two and they are doing something with the all factions setup, but I'm still torn on all of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoopycrow wrote:
It seems that pricing is getting slightly better. The Conflict boxes will come with a Factions box now so its 3 factions at the price that was previously two and they are doing something with the all factions setup, but I'm still torn on all of it.

Yeah, with that setup it does beg the question of whether you can get everything for £170 now since it's $85 for 3 factions. If another $85 gets you all 6.

If it doesn't, you could create a second Kickstarter account and double-order at $85 for the other 3. You'd be paying double shipping, but the shipping estimates show that's cheaper than a single faction. And, the double stretch goals would likely mean you can even make back some cash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do I have this right?

To get all the miniatures, including expansions and bosses, would be 778 GBP, or roughly $951 before shipping?

That means a $1,000 price tag, easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Do I have this right?

To get all the miniatures, including expansions and bosses, would be 778 GBP, or roughly $951 before shipping?

Don't forget the art book and plastic tokens for the low low price of $299.

I'd have to sell my kidney to afford this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
Do I have this right?

To get all 6 factions (plus anything unlocked by the KS) is £150 or roughly $183.

Prime Shadow Model (day 1 early bird) is £8 if you missed it.

So, everything should be under $200.

After that, if you're really into resin expansion:
£40 x 4 for terrain
£60 x 6 for bosses
2nd Kickstarer Update wrote:
As for the resin expansions - the price results from the fact, that they are cast by hand and price does not drop with the quantity. Additionally resin is much more expensive than plastic. These models are too big for the plastic production (starting costs are just too big for this campaign). They are mostly dedicated for collectors / painters, but we also wanted to add some rules and scenarios to them to be a challenging bosses for a solo game

My take on that is buy the resin if you really want to own the resin model and paint it. Otherwise, you're only missing out on some bonus content rather than any core gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
To get all 6 factions (plus anything unlocked by the KS) is £150 or roughly $183.

Prime Shadow Model (day 1 early bird) is £8 if you missed it.

So, everything should be under $200.

Plus shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:

After that, if you're really into resin expansion:
£40 x 4 for terrain
£60 x 6 for bosses

Are those bosses/terrain included in "regular" plastic under the existing pledges?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fido
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From what little info i have it's because, and only because, it's from the same creator as Neuroshima Hex. Every post i read from ppl who back this game idolize Michal Oracz.
It's very similar to GW fanatics and those prices are also out of control but if you do your marketing just right you'll find enough people to buy this game.

I'm still torn, it's very effing expensive but it looks like it could be fun. On the other hand, i have both Hybrid and Hybrid: Nemesis for which i can't seem to find the players to play with so whom would i play this game with???
Seriously, my main problem with miniature games is finding opponents..if it were up to me i'd be bathing in miniatures and paints and brushes and who needs an effing job anyway when you can paint miniatures?!

All that said: I think it's pretty hard to develop a whole new game mechanism for miniature (board)games...There was also another ks going on from a dutch company who used cards with numbers on them and it became kind of a bluffing game but.....dice...i like dice...sure you should have modifiers because one dude should be better than the other dude but dice represent luck and even the lowliest of Winterguards (Warmachine) could become a hero for the motherland by placing a lucky shot and killing the enemy warcaster...

Edit: https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/awakenrealms/the-edge-dawn...
It's also pretty dissapointing that even if you go for the warchest (yeah,still considering it) that you still wouldn't have all the minis. Instead if you want the big'uns for every faction you have to add €65 for every extra model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S W
msg tools
The big, £60 resin models are not intended for the main game, they're for mini collectors and painters mostly.

From the KS page:

'Bosses are mostly collectors pieces with additional scenarios for solo or "players vs game" mode and are not part of player versus player game '

I think Awaken Realms could have done a better job of communicating this but basically my understanding is that warchest is the complete game, resin is for collectors/painters and conflict is enough to play a proper series of games with just two factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siseph wrote:
The big, £60 resin models are not intended for the main game, they're for mini collectors and painters mostly.

From the KS page:

'Bosses are mostly collectors pieces with additional scenarios for solo or "players vs game" mode and are not part of player versus player game '

I think Awaken Realms could have done a better job of communicating this but basically my understanding is that warchest is the complete game, resin is for collectors/painters and conflict is enough to play a proper series of games with just two factions.

They should offer the Bosses in a smaller, non-resin option, perhaps as a packaged add-on. One of the things that's becoming very apparent in these types of KS boardgame projects is that the solo option is a huge benefit/draw. If a game of this size/cost doesn't have a well thought out/viable solo play option then I likely won't back them.

Why?

With so many choices, it's a big risk investing this kind of $$ into a 2+ player game, hoping you can find another player+ to play it on a regular basis to make the investment worthwhile.

Otherwise it gets played once or twice, lives on the shelf and ends up getting sold at a huge loss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
They should offer the Bosses in a smaller, non-resin option, perhaps as a packaged add-on. One of the things that's becoming very apparent in these types of KS boardgame projects is that the solo option is a huge benefit/draw. If a game of this size/cost doesn't have a well thought out/viable solo play option then I likely won't back them.

Why?

With so many choices, it's a big risk investing this kind of $$ into a 2+ player game, hoping you can find another player+ to play it on a regular basis to make the investment worthwhile.

Otherwise it gets played once or twice, lives on the shelf and ends up getting sold at a huge loss.

Considering only a couple solo components are KS exclusive, the main advantage to backing is that you're getting the game for under MSRP. Essentially, you can put more money up front to pay less for everything. Or you can put less money up front, but have to pay more down the road if you decide you want everything.

If you're primarily looking for single-player, then pledge at the £45 level. Pick your favorite faction and enjoy both the Darkness and Bellcrow campaigns. If you find that you love the game and wish you could play it multiplayer (or solo with another faction), then add some content.

If you're looking to play 1-3 players, then pledge at the £85 level. For solo you have more faction diversity. The risk is still relatively low (on par with most miniature games), and you can always pick up more content later.

If you simply must play 4 player, then pledge at the £150 level. Have all factions for solo.

If you're a miniature collector and absolutely love the bosses and terrain, then add £520 for the miniatures. Enjoy the 20 solo scenarios they threw in to provide content to play with your fancy resin. Baffle people like me who can't understand paying £20-30 per solo scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
atzerath wrote:
From what little info i have it's because, and only because, it's from the same creator as Neuroshima Hex. Every post i read from ppl who back this game idolize Michal Oracz.

That's actually not a bad KS model. Shadows of Brimstone is doing this in their Forbidden Fortress KS, with their $300 pledge appealing to their hardcore fans. As KS matures, you have KS by creators who can afford to have expensive projects supported by their fans. You still had this with earlier KS, but not to the $$$ that The Edge and Forbidden Fortress are asking.

That means, while casual gamers won't back the project, *enough* hardcore backers will for the project to reach its funding goal. Fewer backers means fewer logistical problems. Yet you will still have enough backers to market the game to more casual players when the game hits retail (ie. the OLGS discount).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
$200 for 7 playable armies and 95 minis, including 7 huge 90mm bosses ??
For the same money GW will give you 25 marines in smaller 25mm scale which are barely enough for a single army with no variation 7 GW armies would cost 10times that much.
OK compared to some other KS games you get less minis, but those are smaller ones. I just gotten Conan, and while it looks amazing, the normal minis are tiny compared to The Edge.
And you do not need the £60 bosses to play. Each of them is an optional extra.

PS:
compare The Edge vs $60 Terraforming Mars, which is basically a pack of cheap printed paper and some shiny tniy plastic dice made in china.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point, after they've completely revamped the pledge levels, the price isn't so bad. It's still spendy, but not ludicrous like it was in the beginning. I have a $1 pledge that I'll probably hold on to, although I'm still not sure the game is for me. I'm mainly interested in the solo, and would be perfectly happy with 28mm models, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.