Popular Tags: solo-variant [+] [View All]
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a little disappointed in the official solo rules, both the lack of interaction between the player and Aaron and the general lack of difficulty. These simple tweaks cleared up both complaints:

0) Aaron gets a random good and a random animal at the start of the game. Aaron's goods are automatically considered sold.

1) Do not reveal all of Aaron's cards at the start of the round. Aaron takes "turns" playing one card at a time as long as he has cards left for that round. Alternate between your turns and Aaron's as in a 2-player game. In some rounds, Aaron will have fewer turns than the player, and in other rounds, he'll get multiple turns in a row after the player runs out of cards.

2) Each time Aaron reveals a card, if there is a card available in the matching row of the card offer, Aaron takes and immediately plays that card from the offer instead, discarding the card he revealed. If there are no cards in the matching row, Aaron plays his revealed card as normal. If there are 2 cards in the matching row, Aaron takes the one farthest to the left.

3) When Aaron plays a Ship card, he also takes one of the two visible goods from the offer. He will take the one that matches a goods color he already has. If there is a tie, he'll take the one that matches the goods color he has the most of already. If there's still a tie, he takes the one on the left.

4) When Aaron plays a Pasture card, he also takes one of the two visible animals from the offer. He will try to complete sets of non-matching animals. If there is a tie, he takes the animal he has the least of. If there's still a tie, he takes the one on the left.

5) You no longer need to beat Aaron's score every round. However, you should still strive to beat his score at the end of the game. This should be more difficult now that Aaron competes for cards in the offer and scores for goods/animals.

Those are essentially the only rules. I don't remember what I settled on in terms of the 1st player card, but I believe I just had the player go first every round.

Try it! I think you'll find it much more satisfying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Valencia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a gameplay video of the variant:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F

Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you posting this. I was hesitant to pick up the game for my typical solo play based on just the solo variant in the box. Your playthrough with your tweaks though make it look like a better opponent experience and I will likely pick it up this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Miller
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
kittenhoarder wrote:
I made a gameplay video of the variant:

Thanks for the video! Side comment: I'm not fond of the "camera on the head" view. Too much movement. But that could be just me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Morris
Canada
Creston
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried this out last night and it worked great. I found the original Aaron too easy but I haven't managed to beat this variant yet. Also it is, in a way, less fiddly not having to rescore the game every round. Kudos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very nice. Aaron definitely needs a buff, and these rules look good. I'll try them out next time I solo.

How often are you able to win with these rules? Aaron is going to get to play a lot more cards to his estate than the player, albeit in an unintelligent manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.