1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Horror Themed Games To Date rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Hello All! Since Halloween is a week away figured I'd ask options on best Horror themed games in general available. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried Mythos Tales? A free download of the first case is available on their KS web page, and possibly BGG entry. Great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games that fit that Halloween mood, here are some of my choices:

Betrayal at House on the Hill
Chaos in the Old World
Fearsome Floors
Fury of Dracula (third edition)
Ghost Stories
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
The Thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Weeks
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
YOU MAY NOT LIKE IT BUT I DIE FOR IT
badge
YAMAHA IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO
mbmbmbmbmb
One that my friends and I have enjoyed for many a Halloween has to be Last Night on Earth. It isn't scary per say, but the theme is much like a B rated horror movie that has funny parts, and tense exciting parts. Really enjoy this one and have many good memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks guys I have not heard of a few of those. Keep em coming ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
►BGG search for horror-themed games, sorted by rank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, of course! Don't forget the soundtrack.

EDIT:
ninja'd by Kyur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The best themed game in this category for me is Fearsome Floors. I love the atmosphere it sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Umeå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch Horror for a great game
Betrayal at House on the Hill for fun
Fearsome Floors also for fun
Tajemnicze Domostwo for another great game

Eldritch and Betrayal (and the first play of Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk) is our lineup for our Halloween game night. Also some Zombie Dice between the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror
Fury of Dracula (second edition) (haven't tried 3rd ed)
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Mansions of Madness (haven't tried 2nd ed)
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games listed so far are not really "horror" games in my mind.
They are simply adventure games in modern settings.

They are what happens when Runebound or Talisman gets the Cthulhu Treatment. Move a character around a dungeon/house/city, get equipment (swords/crowbars), toy around with your character stats (strength/body), lose points when you get hit (health-stamina/body-mind), fight monsters (orcs/cultists) until you defeat the big boss, possibly by preventing his awakening (dragon/Cthulhu).
There's nothing remotely horrific about those games.

To me, the only game i've seen that comes close to "horror" is Tragedy Looper. It's a dark suspense setting, which is a close cousin of horror. The game is fairly abstracted, but i swear you will "feel" the same tension and fear of the unknown that the characters in the game are supposed to be feeling. Any move could be your last, you have no way of knowing 100% if what you are doing is ok (though it gets clearer as the game goes by) and you need around 15 moves perfectly made to win, split amongst 3 different players who cannot talk to each other during that 15 move sequence.
... and you're playing against another player (not some random AI made with cards or an app) that wants you to genuinely fail and is stuck with similar problems you are facing... alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Most of the games listed so far are not really "horror" games in my mind.
They are simply adventure games in modern settings.

The best atmospheres are in my experience provided by games which put the players in haunted houses, meaning:

Mansions of Madness
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition

...provided that all players allow themselves to get immersed. Playing some ►background music can help to set the mood. Choosing a house as the game's setting works best for atmosphere, because the perspective is relatable "close" and claustrophobic, plus everyone is aware of the concept of a creepy haunted house.

About those 3 games: Mansions of Madness is not a balanced game and generally works best if the evil "Keeper" player takes the approach of a storyteller, balancing things out a bit in the background. Betrayal at House on the Hill is a nice gimmick which can get boring pretty fast in my opinion. Mansions of Madness: Second Edition is fully cooperative, but uses an app, which some people might not like and find distracting.

So there are pros and cons to every game and it really depends on what you are looking for, as there are countless horror-themed games which all provide a very different experience that might be more or less compatible with your group. For example, if you are looking for the definitive zombie-themed game and you like games with a social component, go with Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game. If you like cooperative games which also provide some (passive) storytelling, Eldritch Horror might be your game. If you are looking for a game with relatively easy rules, a fresh theme and a very high difficulty level that will put you under constant pressure, Ghost Stories could be your best choice.

Countless options. Good luck with your research and have fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will L
United Kingdom
Ulverston
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One night ultimate werewolf if you have a decent sized group and you're looking for theme alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Washingtub wrote:
One night ultimate werewolf if you have a decent sized group and you're looking for theme alone.

I think we have a winner. The thought of having to play Werewolf is pure horror for me! You could always force a game of monopoly upon your guests.

But for a real answer that hasn't been listed yet; I know nothing about it, but Dark Darker Darkest might fit your need too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Washingtub wrote:

While i like the game... horror?

Not exactly what anyone around the table are having as the game goes out of it's way to make sure of it's "saturday morning cartoon" style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kelsheimer
United States
Syracuse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Camp Grizzly

I have not played it, but since I run a youth camp, it WILL be in my collection at some point! devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed C
Canada
flag msg tools
AlexFS wrote:
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game, of course! Don't forget the soundtrack.

EDIT:
ninja'd by Kyur

That's awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Raciborski
United States
Newport News
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invasion from Outer Space: The Martian Game, its a campy game, Martians land in a circus/carnival.

Ok, it's American trash dice roller, there is enough actions, things to do in this game for the Martian player that they will not be bored, it's a very good beer and pretzel game.

You have regular Martians and 1 dumb super Martian beast, the beast is zombie like.

The problem with zombies is, well they are just dumb, it's like being attacked via of a slow moving potted plant, not so, these Martians.

The carnival theme grows on you. Think of Orson Welles' War of the Worlds and imagine the Martians surprise landing in a traveling carnival.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Take all components and inserts out of your Mansions of Madness: Second Edition game.

2. Replace them with the components from Monopoly: Littlest Pet Shop or Trump: The Game

3. Plop the game box down at the game table on game night and open that bad boy up.

4. Watch the pure horror and terror on the faces on your (now-ex) friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will L
United Kingdom
Ulverston
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Agent Washingtub wrote:

While i like the game... horror?

Not exactly what anyone around the table are having as the game goes out of it's way to make sure of it's "saturday morning cartoon" style.

Whilst I agree it's pretty light hearted and isn't going to scare anyone, Werewolves sit within the horror genre in my opinion (Dog soldiers being one of my favourite horror films). If I was spending my Halloween gaming, I'd also look for player interaction. City of Horror would be another choice for this reason that might be considered to have a stronger horror feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game where i have felt a real feel of horror was a game of the cthulhu rpg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashish Nair
msg tools
I really enjoy Betrayal at House on the Hill; it's very thematic and evocative, but isn't 'scary' per se, though it does have tense moments throughout the game primarily via dice rolls.

For me, Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space provides the horror feeling nicely - hidden movement game, with hidden roles (humans vs aliens; different characters + abilities), and there is a sweet, sweet tension when being a human and trying to keep your cool, hoping no-one will find your real trail. Eventually, the aliens will reveal themselves and work together openly, bringing even more pressure and tension as they try and hone in on your (and other humans') locations. Put some background music (e.g. Alien Isolation soundtrack, etc.) and the it adds even more to the experience.

It's definitely worth trying out, especially with the pnp being a few dollars (Deluxe Edition adds some stuff and is worth getting imo if you and your party likes the game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tariff wrote:
The only game where i have felt a real feel of horror was a game of the cthulhu rpg.
For me it was The Scepter of Zavandor; a truly horrible game! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
Tariff wrote:
For me it was The Scepter of Zavandor; a truly horrible game! zombie

Quote:

... ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 [Escape]
In my opinion it has pretty solid theme and keeps the tension during gameplay - you feel like your character in game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.