Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a top 10 game for me with almost 30 plays yet I have never had a desire to get the expansion. I've read that it sort of makes the game easier and loses some of the tension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Train gamer, Euro gamer and War gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at 45 plays, and we play with the expansion all the time! I wouldn't call it a 'necessary' expansion, but we like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
All you need is love :)
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmb
The expansion is ok'ish, the game is great without it.
IMHO it unnecessarily complicates a fine game without adding much to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mbmbmbmbmb
71 plays and never felt the urge! Brilliant game as it is. Some expansions just aren't necessary, specially when a game is as evergreen as this one is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is probably my most played game. I love it with or without the expansion. However, I wouldn't want to play with the expansion all the time, but it's good for a change of pace about 20% of the time.
If you have a group that loves it and plays it a lot I would recommend it. If you don't see yourself playing the base game more than 20 times I wouldn't recommend it.
I think your whole group needs to be well versed in the base game to really enjoy the expansion. Almost the same as Agricola's Farmers of the Moor. They will both appear to be complex and bog down the experience without first understanding the base games very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the game used, and it included the extra huts. That's a nice added little variety, but of course you're never guaranteed to see all huts in a normal game anyway. This game is VERY good as it is, so while we have thought about getting an expansion, I've never really felt any need for it. The only thing that might get us to buy it is to increase player number, but then again, maybe it isn't all that good with 5, I don't know ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
FL
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
imho expansion only for those who play the same game a lot and want to mix it up... I'm not in that camp and think it's better w/out expansion... expansion slows the game down and obviously makes it more complex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We always play with the expansion—mainly because it allows 5 players instead of just 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is very good as it is and doesn't really have any deficiencies that the expansion "fixes" (beyond the 4P max count if that is a factor for you).

The expansion adds:
1) Trading+Decorations. Which in my opinion is a bit half-baked and plagued by somewhat ambiguous wording regarding its limitations. It's OK, but certainly doesn't elevate the game play experience while adding more moving parts.
2) A 5th player. Which is very good if you happen to be 5 people at the table I haven't tried it, but I don't think playing 5P without the Trading House and Decoration based Civilization cards will work.
3) Extra buildings that were previously released as a stand-alone mini expansion. These are quite fun, but hardly worth the price of the expansion by themselves.

In short, unless you desperately desire the 5th player option, I think your money is better spent on adding another game to your collection instead of expanding Stone Age.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens www.spielefreun.de
Germany
Heinersreuth
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext is really cool. The best 100 GG I've ever spent.
badge
Well. I'm actually bored with overtext. Why did I give all that GG away?
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to own the expansion and gave it away. Now I like my Stone Age again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmb
I have played with the expansion once. I don't feel it's needed at all. Best part was it expanded it to five.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stansel
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I'll echo what most people seem to be saying. I don't much care for the expansion and will only use it if we have 5 players. The extra huts are nice to have but I am not a fan of the trading resources for resources, especially if you make it to the top. Stone Age base game is fine as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok, thanks all!!

I will pass on it for now and if we play all the time (or need to accommodate a 5th player), then we'll get it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.