Popular Tags: [View All]
Bort Jr
United States
centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered this game a few weeks ago via one of OdinofDuckies blog posts. I scraped together the cubes to start playing last week sometime and have spent a few hours playing solo each night since.

Tonight, disaster finished the galaxy since I have run out of the obsolete business cards I was using. But not only did I win the last game, I generated a wonder.

The card creation mechanics are really clever. Adding cubes to rival worlds/unclaimed sectors is a touch clunky, but only when compared to how tight the rest of the game feels. Conquering neutral worlds feels a little slow, since it generally takes several turns to take over one planet. Perhaps it's just my deck that's slow.

The game reminds me of Impulse crossed with Race For The Galaxy, both of which I quite like. The legacy/make as you play elements are what really hooked me. I'm looking forward to checking out more of your games in the (hopefully not too deep) future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Autistic Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya he really developed a great game. I'm about to develop my own full version of the game. Adjusting a few things and adding my own touch. I also need to test play my story mode more. It is a really great game. my favorite right now. If you have card sleeves then you could just stick in some playing cards and cut paper then slide those in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The rwinder
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Come read my Arkham Horror stories on Twitter @ArkhamHorror
badge
Image courtesy of Smizmazmarlemagne
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm glad you had fun with it.

Decks do take on different characters from one another. There were lots of hands and feet in one exclusively two-player deck I made, which made expanding and battling (and conquering) more feasible. The mainly solo deck I have now is mostly skulls and suns which means the games are fast and somewhat easier, but it's harder to really do any expansion.

I've never heard of "Impulse" but that looks rather intriguing so I'll have to investigate it further. Big fan of "Race" a long time ago. I even made my own cards for it using the blanks in the first expansion (Race for the Galaxy Mini-Expansion: Dawn of the Mystic). Clearly a first step toward the "Deep Future" style. Haven't paid much attention to the game in a long time. Case in point: the irony in learning after releasing "Deep Future" that the big bad threat in the most recent expansion for it was called the Xeno! So much for originality...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bort Jr
United States
centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent one whole game in era 4 where my second action was always"plan"to counter a severe lack of suns and hearts.

I now have a stack of blank index cards to start fresh with, so maybe galaxy two can continue for quite a while. If I could spare the time to type the cards up after each session I'd consider the sleeve route.

Impulse is by the same designer as Innovation, Mottainai, and Glory to Rome. It's quite deep for a small box game, but it's... idiosyncratic in the way it plays. I've never gotten to play it with other people because I dread trying to teach it. It works well solo where you play more than one player, but I don't think there's a purely solo option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Autistic Geek
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in my 2nd galaxy, named Vortex Hyperes. My win/lose ratio is much better now. The thing that was/is stunted in this galaxy was settling. The original worlds used 4 or 5 of the moons. I am counter acting that by I am trying to plan and settle blank cards. When settling I am trying to put them into sectors without worlds. I have a personal goal of having each sector have at least one world. Also I am toying with a change that when generating suite and value I roll dice instead of using the deck. Most of the cards generated in the first 3 eras ended up being 6s. Which in the challenge phase things start to populate very quickly, but I am generating very few hearts, so growth is slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bort Jr
United States
centreville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought of using a d6 to generate suits/numbers as a way to reduce the amount of shuffling. I decided against trying it, because it severely reduces the need for the Plan action to correct suit deficits, and I decided I liked the way a deck shapes itself based on what's already in it. Using a d6 would also make the campaign easier and/or faster, since you wouldn't need to spend actions to plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.