Subject: No energy installations and no RTG: how to get energy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played Martians yesterday (competitive) and we had a Energy thing coming up:

Somebody had no round markers on an energy installation (removed due to Cycle effect) and all his energy markers were used up. The RTG (Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator) hadn't any energy markers left. This person was stuck and he couldn't take any actions that required energy for the remaining 1 or 2 cycles.

Did we miss something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedImp Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
You are on Mars and first thing you have to take care of is the energy. Each player may have up to 2 energy plants, and also the technologies that increase their output. You have to build them and also take into account the possibly nasty weather, otherwise you are screwed, precisely: your colony will wither and die. You cannot do anything without the energy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Deschildre
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great answer and it fits in the theme! Thank you!

I also emailed and Facebooked you if it's possible to get the collector's edition stuff (extra cards, 3D printed sculpts...). Could you look into that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I find at the start of the game you really need to play to survive, gathering energy and collecting medicines and food. Leave the scenario and corporation objectives until the second half of the game when your colony is less reliant on survival tasks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tyrael_ wrote:
Great answer and it fits in the theme! Thank you!

I also emailed and Facebooked you if it's possible to get the collector's edition stuff (extra cards, 3D printed sculpts...). Could you look into that?

This might shed some light on your question: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1759497187/martians-a-s...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure, in solo you even get less energy since you control two corporations but can only have two energy installations, and most actions except for landing pod and educational center require energy...that makes it almost mandatory to build two installations and corporation technology to increase their output in the first two rounds. Found myself stuck a few times with all the colonist needs addressed just spending time to max out supplies and doing research even though didn't really needed them.

Thematically it surely fits but doesn't really make for fun gameplay, at least that's the impression I got from my first games. Looking forward to seeing the designers tutorial video to make sure I'm playing solo correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedImp Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
In solo mode:
You start the game with 10 energy markers and 2 supplies markers.
The following rule stands:
A corporation can only have a maximum of 2 energy installations, regardless of their kind.

So in solo mode a player may build up to 4 energy installations, since he/she manages two corporations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redimp wrote:
In solo mode:
You start the game with 10 energy markers and 2 supplies markers.
The following rule stands:
A corporation can only have a maximum of 2 energy installations, regardless of their kind.

So in solo mode a player may build up to 4 energy installations, since he/she manages two corporations.

Ah! Good to know, but in that case I think it's better to clarify this in the FAQ, since the rulebook says a solo player marks everything developed on the board with the markers of the color of his/her corporation card, therefore giving the idea that you are still a single player even if you control two corporations. Also, the round markers for one color are way too few to be able to mark everything with it (technologies/installations on board, those on the corporation card, mission objectives etc...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok so yesterday I played again solo with this new clarification in mind, managed to build 3 energy installations and it was sooo much better. Ended losing though as the last event was Solar Flare which took away 1 unit of time I needed to complete the last scenario requirement (Dust Gremlins)!! NO WAAAY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Cayman Islands
Plewiska
Wlkp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What?!
How "manages two corporations"?!
In YOUR rulebook is written that You control ONE and have markers of two others!
Guys, come on, clearify it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arsaghar wrote:
What?!
How "manages two corporations"?!
In YOUR rulebook is written that You control ONE and have markers of two others!
Guys, come on, clearify it!!!

Nope, the rulebook clearly states that you control two corporations, you get action markers and colonist tokens of two colors and the corporation card and round markers of a third color. It just is not clear sometimes when a standard rule refers to "players" if that`s considered 1 player for solo or 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.