I recently moved to Barcelona from the United States and am wondering where the best places to buy English board games are? I do find a handful at local stores here (Gigamesh, JugarxJugar, etc.), but the English selection is not very large of course and if I could find cheaper prices than retail online that would be great!
My concern is about shipping costs as well when purchasing online. I'm not sure if there is a European store that everyone frequents here with decent prices and shipping to Spain?
On a related note, I plan on purchasing A Feast for Odin in English- does anyone have any advice on getting that here in Barcelona or having it delivered?
Thanks in advance!
I think the best way to find english games here is to shop at one of the many online shops we have, most of them offer free shipping after spending 60€. These are some of the shops I know:
Dracotienda - http://www.dracotienda.com
Juegame Store - http://www.juegamestore.es
Planeton Games - http://www.planetongames.com
Zacatrus - http://www.zacatrus.es/
EGDgames - http://www.egdgames.com/
4dados - http://www.4dados.es/index.php
DungeonMarvels - https://dungeonmarvels.com/
The last 2 ones have a local place to pick up games in Barcelona if I remember correctly. And there's also http://muevecubos.com/ that can help locate which shops sell the game you are looking for.
And BTW, welcome to Spain!
- Last edited Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:25 am (Total Number of Edits: 1)
- Posted Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:21 am
Ludo Ergo Sum
plus juegosdemesatop.com ... http://www.juegosdemesatop.com/
Esplugues de Llobregat
Juegos de la mesa redonda: http://juegosdelamesaredonda.com/
100 Doblones: http://www.100doblones.com/
Alcalá de Henares
Also, you can buy online from the hundreds (thousands) of European online stores. Shipping costs are usually higher, but you don´t need to worry about additional taxes or customs. Of course, depending on the origin country, the selection of boardgames in English may vary.
Thanks everyone for all the information!
If someone would ask me about the Spanish, I would say that they are very kind
NOTE: Ok I'm very Madrid centric and this post focuses mainly on Central Madrid physical game shops BUT there is s note at the bottom of this lengthy post thany gives 3 links to the 3 main board gaming sites in Spain that has lists of the main online vendors in Spain, www.muevecubos.com is a good starting point for searching, it's not great on real time stock availability, you have to click the link into the store to figure that out, labsk.net also has a few of the main 3 or so listed on there on the main web page...
I've been living in CENTRAL Madrid for quite a few years and know all the shops resonably well:
I'll focus on shops that tend to stock English version Board Games (and card games also in Madrid, note that many of these games shops have big play areas). Also note that opening hours tend to be around 10:30am-2:30pm and then 5:50pm-8:30pm (sometimes later on gaming nights). And only a couple open on Sundays (Goblin trader.es/Generacion X Puebla etc). I've ranked them in my biased way for ENGLISH VERSION BOARD GAMES ONLY with 1 being the highest. I've also as a secondary weighting included English version card games in there (Spyfall/Exploding Kittens etc), also note that I am more of an Ameritrash fan rather than a Eurogames and War Games/assembled minis board game fan
BUT I will do a Wargames mini ranking for shops at the end of this... so starting with the best boardgames shop in Madrid for English version board games...
Board Gaming Top X shops in Madrid (Ameritrash/Euro games) and some card
games considered also (ENGLISH LANGUAGE VERSION BOARD GAMES THAT IS)
1. Generacion X (www.generacionx.es): These are probably the biggest stockist of English imported board games, the two main ones in Madrid are the "Calle Puebla" branch (English board games upstairs) and the "Carranza Branch" (acually on Calle Sagasta which is long and English games at the back) both 15 minutes walk from each other. I should note that there are other smaller genracionx shops in Madrid a bit further out for example Calle Elfo (good small shop) and one in Hortaleza for example they stock fewer games but you may get something different going there. The two main ones get Ameritrash games in fast and have a few war themed board games. They are big on X-Wing and such with competitions etc (but I wouldn't classify X-Wing as say a War Game so see the other list at the end of this list).
2. Atlantica Juegos: (www.atlanticajuegos.es): They have a few English Ameritrash board games and many English War boardgames, at the back they are heavily focused on Wargames / minis type games with Warhammer etc.
Calle de La Luna, Madrid.
3. Cuarto de Juegos: (www.cuartodejuegos.es): An extremely small shop but 15% of their stock is in English but boy have I picked up some gems from there: Food Chain, Mystic Vale, Thunder Alley etc. Calle de Jorge Juan, Madrid.
4. Evolution Juegos: (www.evolutionjuegos.es): A nice selection of card games and mostly Ameritrash English board games at the back. This shop is focused on Magic The Gathering and CCG quite heavily (in English also !). Calle Manuel Silvela, Madrid (Evolucion Central). There's another shop in their branch set in the North of Madrid but I've never been to.
5. Arkania Juegos: (www.arkaniajuegos.com): A few English board games and a good selection of Collectable Card Games e.g. Force of Will, MTG. Calle de Los Reyes Magos. Just south of the Retiro Park walking.
6. La Comarca de Juegos: (www.lacomarcadelosjuegos.com): They have a few English games (card boxed and board games). But I was pleasantly surprised one day when they had Andrenaline in there before the UK did !). Calle Donoso Cortés, Madrid.
7.Goblin Trader: (www.Goblintrader.es): Ok before you flame me this is perhaps the biggest gaming shop (Calle Fuentes, Madrid) in Madrid and it's good BUT I'm focusing on English Board games mostly and there are a few but they are in a minority. They have some English MTG stuff there also. Now on the subject of Wargaming and minis (Malifaux, Warhammer, Infinity etc) .. this is the NUMBER ONE shop in Madrid for Wargaming and minis, go down stairs and you will be VERY impressed. Also it has a big gaming play area. Calle Enrique Fuentes (main branch). The other branch I've been to once, it's smaller, I think it's called Goblin Trader Norte, around the Ursula area (can be a little dogdy at night if you stray from the main roads !) but very good, I picked up some scenery there for wargaming, some Warhammer 40k also).
8. Arte 9 (www.arte9.com) :. Board games down stairs, almost all in Spanish though. They have some Warhammer and they are good on Magic The Gathering also I noticed and have a play area. Calle Doctor Esquerdo, Madrid. I think they have a smaller shop in the Center which oddly seemed to have more English version board games when I last looked Calle de la Cruz, Madrid (www.arte9cruz.com).
9. Quimera: (www.quimeraminiaturas.blogspot.com.es):
They have a few English board games but this shop is mainly focused on Wargaming e.g. Warhammer, Flames of War, Warlord Games, Infinity etc in English ! Calle de Jorge Juan, Madrid
10. El Mono Araña: (www.elmono-araña.com): A nice shop just a little outside of the center of town, upstairs they have a nice small selection of English Ameritrash games). I even noticed Conan by Monolith selling there the other week so respect for that.). Calle Peñuelas, Madrid.
10. 100 doblones (www.100doblones.com) Ok this is an interesting one but worth checking out. It's actually not a high street shop but it's bang in the center of the city and it's more like an apartment cramed with board games, I wonder if it's excess stock from other shops, I'm not sure. But you could pick up some gems there in English language version. Also NOTE it's important that you ring up the guy before you go there as sometimes he is not in, it's like an apartment in Spain so he'll buzz you in. Make sure you get his apartment no. before you go to avoid confusion. Also he often has more stock than he lists on his site. Calle Montera, Madrid.
11. NAIPE Juegos (www.naipejuegos.com/naipejuegos.php) More of a traditionalists board game shop (wooden chess sets etc) but they have some English board games, I think I noticed Axis & Allies and I picked up Formula D from there. Calle de Meléndez Valdés, Madrid.
12. Metropolis Center: (www.mtgmetropolis.com): OK before you try and flame me again note that I would say that this is the number one collectable card games shop in Madrid with Magic The Gathering etc, you can buy individual cards or complete sets, it's really great for that and has a nice big play area but for English board games, there are only the odd few. Calle Espejo, Madrid.
13. Mi Tesoro: (www.mitesorojuegos.com) Ok, this is a bit out of the way (not central) and small but worth checking out if you got the time and can get there in car or public transport. I picked up Splendor and saw Roboralley there a couple of years ago which I didn't see anywhere else.
Calle Marroquina, Madrid.
14. Zacatrus: (www.zacatrus.es): A fantastic shop for SPANISH language boardgames Ameritrash etc but I would say that only around 2% of their games or less are English version. These guys are important though they helped publish the Spanish version of 10 To Kill for example. Calle de Fernández de los Rios, Madrid.
15. Don Juego y Don Puzzle S.L.: (www.donjuego.es) More of a traditional games (wooden or otherwise, poker cards etc) shop they had a couple of Ameritrash English games. Calle de Alcalá,Madrid
16. J de Juegos: (www.jdejuegos.net) I've never been in so I shouldn't comment but I am including it for completion purposes. Looks similar to say NAIPE Juegoes.. correct me if I am wrong. Calle de Menorca, Madrid. I think they have another shop outside of central Madrid in Alcobendas but I have never been so maybe worth checking out.
17. La Flecha Negra: (www.laflechanegraminiaturas.com) this is a Wargaming miniatures HEAVY gaming shop but worth a mention. Not many (any!) boardgames in there though such as Talisman though ! Calle Jorge Juan, Madrid.
18. Tienda ITACA: (www.tiendaitaca.com) . This is a small shop which is very HEAVY on Magic The Gathering in English also)with frequent games etc Their website claims to have some board games (mostly all Spanish) but when I went there and asked over a year ago they said they had no English board games. That may have changed since I went there last. Calle de Andres Mellado, Madrid.
19. Games Workshop (www.gamesworkshop.com): Again don't flame me for this .. I have all the latest Warhammer 40K stuff etc. But they don't stock non Games Workshop boardgames. Games Workshop will be probably focusing on boardgames more after having the GW license returned to them from Fantasy Flight Games recently so this will probably move up the ranks. Excellent cervice in the 2 shops I went to though. Calle Andres Mellado, Calle Duque de Sesto, Calle Panama, all 3 in Madrid
Also honourable mentions go to non physical shops, (Web site and Online ONLY with the business around the Madrid area):
Mas Que Oca: (www.masqueoca.com), they stock quite a few English version board games online on their web store, also they are important as they help publish Spanish versions of games such as KeyFlower.
Tablerum: (www.tablerum), ok mostly Spanish versions of Ameritrash games which is a pity for me BUT when you get lucky and an Ameritrash game is mutli-language e.g. Zombicide these guys were fast to get the stock in and good to deliver locally.
War gaming Madrid (central) Top x shops. (WITH BIAS TOWARDS ENGLISH LANGAUGE WAR GAMES - typically with minis)
Now I promised to rank the physical shops in terms of WAR GAMING also (note that the list above was more for Board games / card games with an Ameritrash bias) so here are the top in Madrid (in my opinion). Also learn that I am not a big War gamer, Warhammer 40K, Malifaux, Warmachine and Horded, Infinity and Kings of War are the ones that I own and am not planning on expanding my collection on those. So for War Gaming in Madrid (and I am considering their in store gaming areas not just stock):
1. Goblin Trader
3. Atlantica Juegos
4. Games Workshop (they're great if it's a GW product only and if that is your bag then straight to rank no.1 instead !!!).
4. La Flecha Negra / Arte 9
And that is all. I apologise if I have left someone out in CENTRAL MADRID or made any errors.. note that I do not cover physical shops outside of Central Madrid in the suburbs (for example Majadahonda) as I've never been to these places but feel free to disagree with my rankings and include other shops just outside of cnetral Madrid and throw your opinions in there or just plain correct me and I will edit this post.
As a final note I must mention the great online stores that Spain has to offer, which are great if you just can't get to the physical stores. I would advise you make small orders first to figure out how good delivery is in your local area and then take it from there.. I won't mention my favourites for Madrid but many can be found advertised via general board gaming websites these being:
www.labsk.net (look to the left under heading "Tiendas amigas")
www.muevecubos.com (look under heading "Tiendas Patrocinadoras" or perform a search for a game you know and look at the results for online stores that stock that item).
www.darkstone.es (look under heading "Colaboradores")
Enjoy ... !! dfernand