Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Hirsh
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
Hi all

I ended up cancelling my P500 order of Grand Prix due to the immense shipping costs to the UK.

I picked up Formula 90 at Essen and absolutely love how technical it is. The only issue for me is the lack of the 2 car team strategy you get in actual formula 1 racing, which I see Grand Prix replicates. My fear is that the game is too simple.

Is is worth picking up?

I have not played Thunder Alley before but I have played Formula D.

Thanks!

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Speed Circuit, Formula Dé, Race! Formula 90 and Thunder Alley among other racing games.
My two favorite games are clearly Race! Formula 90 and Thunder Alley in that order.
And we do play with team cars in Race! Formula 90. Our team mates are just fast robots which we can help with Race cards in different situations.
In Thunder Alley you also have team mates as some of the cars have the same colors.

I too cancelled Grand Prix since I didn't want to have two games with the same technic of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I now have all three of RF90, TA, and GP. Each plays differently, obviously with the Horgers' two games playing more similarly. For now I'm happy to keep all three.

Race! Formula 90 is definitely the most complex, technical of them and definitely feels more of a F1 simulator. There isn't much in the way of working together or team tactics in it.

Thunder Alley & Grand Prix use the same basic concepts, and the tracks are interchangeable. However, they play differently with each capturing the flavor of the series they represent.

Thunder Alley is all about keeping in the draft group and working your team cars to keep in the running for the end. Probably some negotiations between teams would be appropriate (as with the actual races), and if you fall out of the draft group you're pretty hosed.

Grand Prix feels more strategic. You only have two team cars, but there are also many NPC cars you can move around to assist your own cars and impede opponents. Some are free for anyone to use, some are reserved for your to use. It definitely is a different way to play than Thunder Alley.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Flint
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Grand Prix and am considering picking up RF90. Grand Prix isn't quite the F1 simulator I thought it was. I've played a number of games now, solo, and have used cooperative and non-cooperative strategies for the teams.

My biggest gripe is a leader can go from, well, leading to mid-pack very quickly if they don't get the assistance from being pushed or pulled from the cars behind. I don't like that.

Grand Prix is a very good game which is currently taking up my gaming table space. I like the quality components. But if an affordable RF90 game pops up I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassill
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played and own Thunder Alley, Grand Prix, Formula D and Rallyman.

I always wanted to play Race! Formula 90 but never did as my group do not like racing games and I have many of them already. I have read the rules for Formula 90 and they seem to be the most complex but the best representation of the sport (although speed circuit rules were quite good as well).

Yes, Grand Prix gets a lot of cars on the track but to be honest...I was a little disappointed by it. I don't know what I expected but it seems like I was just a puppet in the end moving many cars around the track with no real purpose until the end. I really like Thunder Alley which is weird...maybe I do not like the extra cars NPC cars in Grand Prix which seems to change it. Thunder Alley was chaos and it was fun, this seems chaotic but does not your 'rough and tumble fun' :|

I feel that there isn't much synergy with team play in Grand Prix, yes you are trying to do the best for both of your cars but you still seem to make decisions for what is best for them individually...maybe because your score is a total of your two cars not just your highest/lowest finishing car...

Just some thoughts - Maybe you are just better off with Race! Formula 90 as it doesn't seem like you will miss much if you don't pick up Grand Prix. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hirsh
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for the very informative reports!

Based on the simplicity of Grand Prix, I have decided to stick with Formula 90 and may invest in the nice looking car minis expansion

Having said that, I'm quite keen on trying Thunder Alley, I hope I cross paths with it in future!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.