Subject: Alamo City Comic Con 2016, San Antonio, Oct. 28-30 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone going?

I don't recall them setting aside general board gaming space in the past, but the convention center has had a major overhaul with lots of new construction, so who knows? Since I'm local, I usually like to bring a new game or two and keep them in my car. I'm thinking of bringing Vinhos Deluxe and Star Trek Ascendancy. Zombicide: Black Plague went over well at prior cons, so that may come along, too. I enjoy meeting new players and learning/teaching new games.

If anyone is interested in meeting up, post here or shoot me a message. I plan on attending all 3 days. The trick will be finding a nice spot to play in at the convention center. I usually attend panels during the day, but none of that runs very late. Evenings should be good.

Player counts: STA is a hard 3, so 2 more players will be needed to run that. Vinhos is 1-4, but my wife will probably join me for that on Saturday, so up to 2 more can be added (and she might bow out if a third really wants to take her place). Z:BP can handle a variety of player counts. I like playing 3 (with two characters each), but it is quite flexible.

EDIT: Their guidebook app shows a tiny space in the corner of the main hall labeled as "Table Top Gaming". That isn't a good sign. Traditionally, that means vendors will be using that area, or it will host the Magic tournament they have advertised. But it's all conjecture as this con is god awful at answering questions or providing info in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dunn
msg tools
My GF and I are going there Sunday. I can bring a couple of games myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dunn
msg tools
sorry Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be prowling around on Friday, so if I find a nice spot I'll try to post it here in the evening. (I use a very basic phone, so I won't have access to this forum while I'm at the con itself.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I went down for preview night and got to check out the new construction. Unfortunately, the little nooks and corners that used to be good for meetups and gaming are either gone or extremely far from new convention hall. So I'm not going to set up anything organized.

The area set aside for tabletop gaming in the main hall is really tiny. And for some reason they've blocked it off visually from the rest of the hall so people walking by won't see it. They will be holding MtG tournaments each day but they said it will be available for free play after that. The guy running it was a bit cagey about the free play, so I don't feel entirely confident that people walking up will get to use the tables. I guess we'll see.

If we do end up playing some Vinhos on Saturday, I encourage folks to come up and say hello. I definitely won't be bringing Star Trek Ascendancy or Black Plague due to the lack of space to play. We might get lucky and snag a table out in the lobby, but that area will be a madhouse on Saturday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.