Legendary Inventors» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Go for the cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivier Bardot
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello
I have played on BGA and lost my games against players that collect cards. They did not even promote their inventors.
Is this the good strategy ?
What is the strategy against them ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy against players who go for cards is to deny them the cards or the star tokens that fill in the missing numbers.
Check who get's first pick and make sure it's not the person who's already winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pearlman
msg tools
I don't think that it is a winning strategy. The game mechanics are designed to make cards bad early in the game. They are only worth 1 VP in age one. But improving inventors will provide returns all game long, and VPs at the end if you plan it right. There's nothing wrong with grabbing a card or two in age 1 as a 3rd place prize, but advancing inventors should be the primary goal of the 1st age.

Let's do the math. Let's say you get 4 cards instead of 4 tokens in age 1. That's 4 VP plus enabling at best a 6 point run at the end, or 10 VPs. However 4 tokens could get your 9 point inventor scored. Using that inventor in age 2 and 3 is going to get you at least 1 extra VP, plus you're not excluded from getting a run yourself, which you'll be able to arrange because you'll have better inventors to get you the cards you need later on.

Summary : If you're losing to people who are not improving their inventors at all, it's because you're not improving your own inventors effectively. You can beat them, so don't join them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.