GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,210 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Dice City» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategy flaws in Dice City - do you agree? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
garbarash
msg tools
Dear community,

the rushing strategies have already been discussed in this thread, but I think there are some logical or strategic flaws in this game.
I would like to describe what is broken in my opinion and would love to hear your opinions to this!

First: The military way is overpowered. A regular army gives 1 VP in contrast to other "regular" buildings like quarry etc. while the costs are the same. If you run for a military approach, you could just pass all dice and build five regular armies within two rounds. Then, build a watchtowers and blacksmiths and with a lucky roll you can easily have an army strength of about 15 to 20. Beating up bandits leads to the end of the game and you will probably win straight. I've played this strategy a few times and reached over 80 VP every time.

Second: The economic way has a similar flaw. If you go for this strategy, you could just pass all dice and build the 20 VP trade ship in round 3. Done. And nobody can stop this strategy.
That is why buildings are somehow pointless for winning.

Third: Why is it impossible to store more then one item of wood, stone, and iron? I see that the storehouse is trying to fix that, but in fact, it does not as it can be used for one resource only and would be overpowered if you could trade in one of each resource.
So, if you do not go for the "collect as much pass tokens as you need"-strategy, it is hardly possible to build/buy the 20 VP trade ship.

Fourth: The cultural way just yields too few VP. If you manage to build a city with freat buildings like statue(s), cathedral, town hall, etc., you do not get reqarded enough. It is hardly possible to reach the VP which can be achieved by military or economic approaches.
Even the fact that you can build any building by passing all dice and gain five arbitrary resources cannot fix this.

In summary, I think that the pass tokens are too powerful as they enable rushing, but they are a crucial element because it is the only way to "store" resources. This pass token / resource management rules are out of balance, in my opinion.
If you want to win this game, you can do so within three rounds (trade ship rush) or if the game lasts longer, the military strategy is overpowered.

Although, I do not want to denounce the game! I like the concept and enjoy playing it. These are just my critical thoughts to Dice City.

Do you agree to my opinion or do you see other flaws?

Thanks for reading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You can only get a pass token once per turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boehm
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can pass only one die per round (see rules page 10)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As mentioned in the posts above, you are only allowed to pass with one of your dice each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I join in?

Once per round is the limit to how many dice you can pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
garbarash
msg tools
Tyndal wrote:

Allright, I see.
Thank you all for commenting on this!
I really missed that point, sorry surprise

My first thought was, that it is even harder for an economic victory to buy trade ships then. But I see, that it is also harder to build an overpowered army.

Thank you for clearing this point!
I must admit that English is not my native tongue and I should probably re-read the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries, that's what BGG is here for!

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
garbarash
msg tools
avyssaleos wrote:
No worries, that's what BGG is here for!

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Thank you very much! I'm glad that I may ask questions here and sorry for misunderstanding the instructions.

Indeed I have one more question: Some buildings have a "disabled" logo in the description, e.g., the catapult. I assume that if I use this card and add the points to my army strength, this card gets disabled and needs to be enabled again - like a reload time.
Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, exactly that. You disable the card in order to perform the ability and then you have to reactivate it in order to be able to use it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Ich bin Eier aller Arten
mbmbmbmbmb
Most folks, you'd think, would have mastered a game or at least know the rules before they offered (even a vaugly Socratic) critique of the game. Better to Just ask for clarification instead, sos ya don't have to unsaddled from your high horse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once per round is the limit to how many dice you can pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
garbarash
msg tools
Thanks again for all your answers

Krsnaji wrote:
Most folks, you'd think, would have mastered a game or at least know the rules before they offered (even a vaugly Socratic) critique of the game. Better to Just ask for clarification instead, sos ya don't have to unsaddled from your high horse.

Well, thanks for your comment, although it does not have any relation to my questions and seems to be there just for your relief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josef Ferguson
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I wonder how many dice I can pass per round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
cupajo wrote:

Pretty sure it's more than one. I could be wrong, though - I haven't seen anyone confirm it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moo Cow wrote:
cupajo wrote:

Pretty sure it's more than one. I could be wrong, though - I haven't seen anyone confirm it yet.

It was answered: Here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
garbarash wrote:
Tyndal wrote:

Allright, I see.
Thank you all for commenting on this!
I really missed that point, sorry surprise

My first thought was, that it is even harder for an economic victory to buy trade ships then. But I see, that it is also harder to build an overpowered army.

Thank you for clearing this point!
I must admit that English is not my native tongue and I should probably re-read the rule book.

It'd be interesting to hear your thoughts on the game after you've played it with the correct rules ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.