Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made an incredible discovery. The woman that I married last year agreed to play games with me. She's good too.

I am a miniatures wargamer that started with Ogre in 1982. Been playing mostly science fiction games ever since, a couple years ago I started playing historicals. I game on average 5 times a month. My wife never played D&D as a kid, not one game of any "specialty" boardgame. She does like Star Wars, the Spider Man and X Men movies, and she watches Battlestar Galactica with me. She has an MA and has worked as a professional journalist. She's smarter than the average bear. She was a master-ranked online Scrabble player but has given it a rest. Besides my minis games we only had Monoploy and the Scrabble board as "common ground" for gaming. I always win at Monopoly, she beats me mercilessly at Scrabble. I wanted to play games with her. Most girls don't like minis games so I haven't tried to get her involved.

She agreed to play a game I picked. I thought "no wargames" would be a good basis to start from, picked up the Age of Mythology boardgame. She played it, liked it, played a couple more times. Then I obtained Star Wars Epic Duels in a trade. In 2 days we played about 10 games of that.

W/L Record:
Age of Mythology
Amber (her): 3-0
Me: 0-3

SW Epic Duels:
Amber: 7-3
Me: 3-7

She not only likes the games she's good at them. I've been gaming for 25 years, I never let anyone win and she beats me. I very rarely lose at the minis games I play regularly. I knew she was smart when we first got together, I didn't know she had any kind of competitive nature. I knew I had a good catch too, I didn't know she would move into the gaming area of my life.

Life is good. I've picked up Tigris and Euphrates, that's next on the list, hopefully we can both learn the Marvel Heores game together too. The ultimate girl just got more ultimate. I'm so happy about it I had to post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Doran
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky man!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Merry Xmas...
badge
...and a Happy Newyear!
mb

Good for you.
That's one of the many good things of marriage: gaming with your wife.

My wife won't play wargames (I'm kinda relieved; I doubt my ego could stand losing Squad Leader to her )but we play lots of other games. Both only the two of us, or with friends. Scoring is quite even and almost always tense. Fav. 2player games at the moment: Catan (card game+expansions), RailRoadTycoon, Puerto Rico.

Congrats & happy gaming,
Matthijs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah Matthijs looks like we both scored. If I taught my wife to play B5: A Call to Arms and she beat me regularly I would probably have to sell my fleets of painted spaceships and hang my head in shame. I have to be the best general (or space admiral) in the family. I don't mind that she wins at boardgames one bit though. She even razzes me about my losing, which might piss me off at the LGS if anyone else was doing it, but it's actually kind of cool when she does it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, my wife plays all kinds of games, everything from the abovementioned Squad Leader to Euros to Amerigames to miniatures, and a great many of our games end with her the victor.

My ego is still intact.

Therefore, I suggest you go ahead and teach your wives how to play those other games, too. You'll be glad you did, and your egos will be just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Playful spouses are a delight. And they increase the odds of playful children. It's the gift that keeps on giving....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Chappell
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hearing the grail knight from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade:

"You have chosen... wisely."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chu
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
So My Wife is a Gamer

Congrads, it makes buying games that much easier:>

My wife is a gamer also, albeit, a casual one. Like your wife, she is also smarter then the average Jane (certainly smarter then me), with two MA and a PhD, and is the CIO of her company.

She gladly goes to Game Nights with me, and is know to other players there as the person that always wins. She will even play my two player games when I am getting the itch for gaming. When we used to host multi-player MTG, she enjoy that tremendously. She does not enjoy wargames that much, so those don't get much table time in our session. I am learning Java (since Fortran, Cobol, basic, etc are all dead langages) and am in the process of coding an AI for some of my old Metagaming Microgames.

I think that I am very lucky and don't have to feel guilty about spending two weekend nights a month doing something that my spouse also enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a good thing. My soon to be wife is also a gamer and active on BGG as well though we share a user account. We pick out games together and have an equal say about what gets acquired next. We have some slight differences in genres: always was a sci-fi fan so a game like Nexus Ops has an appeal to me that it doesn't for her. However, our tastes overlap about 90% of the time which is very nice.

Gaming with your wife is great as it also just contributes to a relationship. Not to be a game snob but sitting down and playing Power Grid together is so much more fulfilling than watching most shows together. It at least adds something that requires the two of you to sit together, interacting, devling into how each other thinks and so on. We love sharing this hobby and it always pleases us to hear other couples give testimony on their own sharing. happy gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sifu
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Flashdance, asspants, man. Welcome to the League of Extraordinary Marriages!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poor fool. You have no idea what's coming.

With one gamer in the couple you've got:
Gamer: "Honey, mind if I pick up the new BattleLore expansion on the way home?"
Non-Gaming-Spouse: "Forget it! We aren't getting any more little plastic pieces until next month at least."

But with two gamers:
Gamer: "Honey, mind if I pick up the new BattleLore expansion on the way home?"
Gaming Spouse: "Forget it! We aren't getting any more little plastic pieces until we get the Powergrid expansion. Wait a minute, they have that in stock. Ok, pick them both up. Ooh, and they've got import copies of Space Dealer - we need one of those! And while you are at it, see if they have anything new by Knizia."

And soon your wallet is empty, your bank account is looking bleak, and the minimum payment on your credit card is looking suspiciously like your yearly income.

Yep. Doom and disaster.

(Ok, its worth it. But stil...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie K.
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! This is funny! I am only hoping that I'll be able to find an awesome husband who wants to have kids and who likes to game.

A woman can hope right?

Stephanie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.