GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,959 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: How and when you fill up the cattle market rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
At the end of the explanation of refilling the cattle market the rules state:

"If you must fill up the cattle market but the number of cattle cards in the market is already
equal to (or higher than) the total for your player count, don't add any cards to it."

Does that really mean you can only refill the market when there are 3 or fewer cattle cards present ?

I'm asking this because I find it strange this is not stated clearlt at the beginning of the explanation but afterwards.
Like there are other options to force a cattle market refill ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't quite understand your question. But: You refill the market when the round marker passes the refill symbol and you refill it up to the maximum depending on the the number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You refill the market to the corresponding number of cattle based on player count when the job market tracker passes certain points.

The reason you would not fill it at that time is because when buying cattle, it us possible to add 2 cattle to the market by "spending" 1 cowboy. So it's possible the market exceeds the number it should be refilled to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Coles
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think you have interpreted the cattle market to be limited by the actual number of players. This is not the case.

The cattle market is different sizes based on the player count. There is a table on the board, I think it starts at 7 for a two player game.

Also, you can use a cowboy at the cattle market to add two cards to the cattle market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The cattle market consists of (up to) 7 cards in 2p, 10 cards in 3p and 13 cards in 4p. These are the numbers which are meant by "the total for your player count".

So in a 2p game when nobody bought cattle by the time of the refill, the 7 cards are still there and no cards are added. If it's down to e.g. 3 cards, you add 4 cards.

The "(or higher than)" piece covers a rare situation, as somebody must have come to the market (probably with two cowboys), and found he/she didn't like/couldn't afford any of the offered cattle, then spent one cowboy to add two cards and bought none or one of these. I can only imagine this to happen when by chance all cards are 4s and 5s, which require 12$ to buy unless you have 3+ cowboys, and the probability that at least one of the new cards is an (affordable) 3 is quite high.

Edit: triple ninja'd ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Geiregat
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
Don't quite understand your question. But: You refill the market when the round marker passes the refill symbol and you refill it up to the maximum depending on the the number of players.

So in a 4 player game, when the round marker passes the refill symbol and there are 5 cattle cards in the market you still refill to 13 cards ?

Then I don't understand the rule ?

"If you must fill up the cattle market but the number of cattle cards in the market is already
equal to (or higher than) the total for your player count, don't add any cards to it."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
darcin cole wrote:
I think you have interpreted the cattle market to be limited by the actual number of players. This is not the case.

The cattle market is different sizes based on the player count. There is a table on the board, I think it starts at 7 for a two player game.

This will indeed be the OP's misunderstanding. Well spotted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
eniac_g wrote:
tilouboy wrote:

So in a 4 player game, when the round marker passes the refill symbol and there are 5 cattle cards in the market you still refill to 13 cards ?

Then I don't understand the rule ?

See above. "the total for your player count" doesn't mean the player count but the number corresponding to that player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It says "equal to the total for your player count", and not "equal to your player count". (emphasis added )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
During the market action you can add additional cattle to the market (by using 1 cowboy to add 2 cows).

Therefore when you reach the refill-points during game you fill the market back up to 7(2p), 10 (3p) or 13 (4p) cards.
If your market already has that many (or even more) cards nothing happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.