9 Posts

Scythe» Forums » Strategy

Subject: tactic opinion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vinko Sego
msg tools
Hi all

I've played 2 games so far in a 3-player games. Playing second with Crimea mechanical and since my objective was to have at least 5 workers near factory at the end of the turn, i focused my tactic on building a large amount of workers early.

1. turn -> move 1 worker on town, char on town ; build nothing
2. turn -> produce 2 workers ; enlist nothing
3. turn -> move char on encounter (i got lucky there, got 2 metal + free upgrade which I used to lower the cost of Mech)
4. turn -> produce 4 workers - got firest star
5. turn -> bolster 1 yellow card, deply mech on workers
6. turn -> move workers to food, move char to oil
7. turn -> produce 8 food, enlist upgrade
8. turn -> move 7 workers on oil, char towards factory
9. turn -> produce 7 oil, enlist build
10. turn -> move char to factory, move workers to oil near factory -> second star; got card build/deploy for 2 different resources;

now, having 8 workers on turn 5 got me quite a production boost. The cost is high, but after that oil i only had to produce 1 more time - to get wood, allowing me to collect encounters, deploy mechs fast via factory card and my yellow cards. I upgraded lower upgrade cost and had 4 mech pretty fast as well and started bolstering / trading for popularity ..
I ended up loosing because other two players allied themselves against me before I got to put my 6. star me ending second.

I have a feeling that Crimea and RUsviet have slight advantage at the begining not having to move their worker to town but could be producing new workers on the first turn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vinkosego wrote:

2. turn -> produce 2 workers, move char on ; enlist nothing

I think the bold part is an error? It's not caused any errors further on though...

vinkosego wrote:

3. turn -> move char on encounter (i got lucky there, got 2 metal + free 6. turn -> move workers to food, move char to oil
8. turn -> move 7 workers on oil, char towards factory
10. turn -> move char to factory, move workers to oil near factory ->

Just for clarity - are you using your Mech to move that big pile of workers? You don't mention it...

the reason I ask is that I have seen people take a Move action as one group moving, not one unit moving...

vinkosego wrote:

I ended up loosing because other two players allied themselves against me before I got to put my 6. star me ending second.

I've only played 1, 2 and 5p so far... but in my experience placing the 6th star is less important than making sure you have the highest score when it happens. In fact I've several times seen the 6th star lose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:

I've only played 1, 2 and 5p so far... but in my experience placing the 6th star is less important than making sure you have the highest score when it happens. In fact I've several times seen the 6th star lose...

I have played 6 times, 2 x 4 player and 4 x 5 player, and every time the player that placed the 6th star won the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinko Sego
msg tools
Yes. i move my Mech with a pile of workers (7) + pile of resources (8 food; later 4 food + 8 oil).

Tacticaly that ensures ( i guess) noone attacks because they will lose 7 popularity (at that part of game you will have around 4-5 -> drop to 0). (you have 2 moves during your action: 1 move is mech with workers and resources, another is you character).

yes. First game I won with only 4 stars, but i tried to rush 6 stars because i was in the lead having 12 occupied spaces and being on max popularty ( others were tier 2 popularity). ended with 8 occupied spaces ( winner got 12).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinko Sego
msg tools
"I think the bold part is an error? It's not caused any errors further on though..."
you are orrect. that was an error

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hewlett
msg tools
vinkosego wrote:
Yes. i move my Mech with a pile of workers (7) + pile of resources (8 food; later 4 food + 8 oil).

Tacticaly that ensures ( i guess) noone attacks because they will lose 7 popularity (at that part of game you will have around 4-5 -> drop to 0).

I would take the popularity hit to win that fight! If you dont have a speed mech we would be talking multiple rounds for your economy to recover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
albino_penguin wrote:
vinkosego wrote:

Tacticaly that ensures ( i guess) noone attacks because they will lose 7 popularity (at that part of game you will have around 4-5 -> drop to 0).

I would take the popularity hit to win that fight! If you dont have a speed mech we would be talking multiple rounds for your economy to recover.

If I was Polonia I'd actively cross the board for it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Vinko,
You may also browse through this forum and compare your tactic with some different attempts of the combo Crimea/Mechanical

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vinko Sego
msg tools
Thank you for your advice. everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.