Subject: [custom QUEST] Burn that Troll! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb

PDF here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/139611/custom-quest-burn-...

BURN THAT TROLL!
by Tomas and Jakub Uhlir
----------------------------------------------------------

HARD / 4 SURVIVORS / 120 MINUTES

The Dragon Bile proved to be a valuable resource in a war against zombies. Unfortunately it becomes more and more difficult to find some. This dwarven town in a heart of the Troll mountains has been known as one of the places where they have been able to extract it. But that was before the Black Plague. Hopefully there could be still some left in the underground tank. After all, the dwarves have secured the tank entrance well.
Lately there has been some hectic zombie activity near the town so we agreed on a stealthy mission. With a help of Glynda, our dwarven companion, we have been able to find an underground passage leading directly to a control room from where we can disable the tank seals. The mechanism is already old and rusty and it makes a huge amount of noise. Seems that our attempts have already attracted some visitors.
Oh no! It looks like these Troll mountains offer some really nasty material for the zombie army...

Tiles needed: 7R, 6R, 9R, 8R, 1R, 5R

OBJECTIVES

Burn that damned Troll!
Get past the green door, take the Dragon Bile from the tank and set the Abominatroll to flame.

SPECIAL RULES

Setup

- Put aside all 4 Dragon Bile cards and store them in the tank (room marked with number one).

- Put aside 1 Torch card and give it to the Survivors together with the starting equipment (2 Short Swords, 1 Hammer and 1 Short Bow)

- Put the Abominotroll on the place with a green Spawn Zone. He is on the board from the very beginning. (You can use the normall Abomination with the Abominatroll rulles, if you don’t have the Zombie Bosses pack.)

Quote:
Recommended Survivors: Nelly, Ariane, Glynda, Julian
(You will need Zombicide: Black Plague, Wulfsburg and Hero Box.)

Recommended Items and Spawn cards:
Use only the basic Item deck from the Zombicide: Black Plague and the basic Spawn deck. Play with only one standard necromancer.

Abominatroll
Use the standard Abominatroll rules (He can be killed only with Dragon Fire and he has three activations whan activated within a line of sight of a Survivor.). Don’t put any special Abominatroll spawn cards into the Zombie deck. Instead all the normall Abomination spawns counts as Abominatroll activation.

They don’t hear us yet…(Green Spawn Zone)
Spawn on this Zone only on turns when there is at least one tile with 3 or more Noise (including Survivors).

Sealed Door (Green Door)
The green door cannot be opened until the green Objective has been taken.

Controll Room (Green Objective)
The green Objective gives 5 experience points to the Survival who takes it. Taking it allows you to open the green door. But once it is taken, the green Spawn Zone becomes a normal Spawn Zone (You spawn there every turn regardless the noise.).

The Tank (Room marked with number one)
For a Search action you can take one of the Dragon Bile cards stored here.

DESIGNER’S COMMENTS

Spoiler (click to reveal)
By creating this Quest, we wanted to force the Survivors to split and operate in smaller groups and at the same time to strengthen the need of a clever “Noise management” and overall planning.

One way to accomplish this is by using the green “Noise” Spawn Zone. Because when the survivors stay in one group, they generate a lot of Noise and they activate the green Spawn Zone often. Also opening the doors should be quite a chalange when you try to stay on two Noise per tile at maximum.

The other factor is the Abominatroll itself. The Survivors have to split to lure him away so the other group can reach the green door safely past his back. They can even use his three activations for their advantage.

Some Survivors have to stay near the starting room to take the green Objective at the right time and also to take care of the necromancers passing between the two Spawn Zones on the left.

Timing is crucial in this Quest. When you take the green Objective too early, the way to the green door will be crowded with zombies spawning from the green Zone. Taking it later could be tricky too because at that time there could be a horde of zombies blocking the entrance to the starting room.

We intended to offer the players many ways how to reach their goal. They can split in two groups, one attracting the Abominatroll, meanwhile the other one sneaking behind his back on the street. Or they can go through the house in the top righ corner and get to the green door from the top. They can arm to the teeth at the starting room first and then try to fight their way through. Even the special move abilities (Slippery, Jump, Hit and Run) can come handy...

We belive that you enjoy the advanture and come with even more interesting strategies. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Hi, since we already play mostly our own custom quests of Zombicide, I would like to share some of them with you as well.
"Burn that Troll! should be quite tested (we played it about 4 or 5 times and every time it was a chalanging experience.)

With each of my Quests I try to explore some new possibility or rule. This one is focused on separating the Survivors and brings to the game a new concept of "Noise Spawn Zones". (You spawn on them only in turns when there was some minimum Noise on any single tile).

I would like to hear what do you think about it. The more tests we get, the better. :-)
Thanks and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Ross
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
At first I thought this looked easy but after considering all of the timing that will come into play and the fact that your juggling with clear zones to move in and being able to flee the troll, it looks like a serious challenge. I'll definitely give it a whirl this week.

I don't have the hero minis you suggested but I don't think that would matter too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this sound great! I`m taking a ZBP brake (too many other KS arrived lol) but love this one. sound fun.
any chances you would uploaded it on PDFs here in BGG? thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
chang_1910 wrote:
this sound great! I`m taking a ZBP brake (too many other KS arrived lol) but love this one. sound fun.

I am glad you like it. I'll try to upload it somewhere when I get some time... you know, other KS stuff arrived.
In fact I already sent it to the Mission contest on Guillotine Games website, so if we get lucky we can get even the official pdf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Cobalta wrote:
At first I thought this looked easy but after considering all of the timing that will come into play and the fact that your juggling with clear zones to move in and being able to flee the troll, it looks like a serious challenge. I'll definitely give it a whirl this week.
I don't have the hero minis you suggested but I don't think that would matter too much.

I am looking forward to your feedback.
Still, I would recommend to use the suggested or at least similar Survivors (even with a different miniatures). They are chosen for a reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:
chang_1910 wrote:

I am glad you like it. I'll try to upload it somewhere when I get some time... you know, other KS stuff arrived.
In fact I already sent it to the Mission contest on Guillotine Games website, so if we get lucky we can get even the official pdf.

oh, I KNOW! sadly, I KNOW TOO WELL blush ... and thanks! I subscribe to this thread. Let us know here when you uploaded

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Cobalta wrote:
I'll definitely give it a whirl this week.

Hi Adam,

Have you got a time to try it? How it went?

I plan to try a now Quest this week so I should post it soon as well.
In the Troll scenario the Survivors have been forced to keep the Noise low. This time they will have to produce quite a lot of Noise instead... :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Muller de Schongor
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this Quest very well though of and presented. And the nois twist is very clever!
Nonetheless, here are a few issues I have:
- I don't think it is smart to put the green x on the starting area, when there are so many "empty" buildings around. At the same time, haveing the heroes starting indoor is a poor choice, tanking-wise.
- I think the torch should be replacing one of the starting item.
Or, get use of the building, red-cross one room and have the Torches stored there.
- why do you use the (1) mark? have a blue cross or even better, a vault in this place, and put the dragon bile there instead of any vault card. This work for having a second vault for the torches (see before)
- If the Troll is to be killed from a dragon fire, forbid any dragon fire effect due to any other item than dragon bile + torch

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
XofMdS wrote:
I find this Quest very well though of and presented. And the nois twist is very clever!
Nonetheless, here are a few issues I have:
- I don't think it is smart to put the green x on the starting area, when there are so many "empty" buildings around. At the same time, haveing the heroes starting indoor is a poor choice, tanking-wise.
- I think the torch should be replacing one of the starting item.
Or, get use of the building, red-cross one room and have the Torches stored there.
- why do you use the (1) mark? have a blue cross or even better, a vault in this place, and put the dragon bile there instead of any vault card. This work for having a second vault for the torches (see before)
- If the Troll is to be killed from a dragon fire, forbid any dragon fire effect due to any other item than dragon bile + torch

I am glad you like the Quest. Thank you very much for the feedback.

- Good point with the Green "X". Especial with the tanking possibility. But do you think it would be wise to stay in the building and search? This way you would activate the Green Spawn Zone every turn and you would be never able to get out through the horde of Zombies. Especialy when there is no Dragon Bile in the Item deck. It would be a death trap.
The reason the Survivors start in a building is the Noise again. Oppening the door produce a Noise and they have to be carefull with searching too much. Or at least they shouldn't stay all in the building. It brings a nice twist.
On the other hand, oppening the door from the start wouldn't ruin the twist too much.

- The Torch could replace one of the starting items but I don't like to have a Survivor unable to do anything else then to search. But I can give it a try. It's not such a big change after all.

- Good idea with the Vault. It fits better the official Quests design.

- True. I haven't consiedred this because we mostly play without the Wulfsburg magic wapons. I even recomended it for this Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely a rusher, so I would not mind your initial setting, but I know few players with whom starting in a searchable area turns into nightmare. My major concern was about both the green X AND starting indoor, though. Having the X moved elsewhere would suffice to somehow balance the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Uhlir
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mb
XofMdS wrote:
Having the X moved elsewhere would suffice to somehow balance the map.

I am aware that my maps often have rooms without any special purpose.

In the original Quests they use random objectives to force you to open those rooms. But I don't really like that random element there. From my experience it can ruin the game. It happened to us a few times that we found the right objective right away and the map became boring. The oposite extreme is a bit better but still not very satisfying.

Mostly I try to offer the rooms as some kind of shortcut or a tactical element so the Survivors can decide if they want to use them. It kind of works on this map but it's not ideal for sure.

Moving the green objective could help. In which room would you move it?

Have you tried the map yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Cachan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
uhlik wrote:
XofMdS wrote:
Having the X moved elsewhere would suffice to somehow balance the map.

I am aware that my maps often have rooms without any special purpose.

In the original Quests they use random objectives to force you to open those rooms. But I don't really like that random element there. From my experience it can ruin the game. It happened to us a few times that we found the right objective right away and the map became boring. The oposite extreme is a bit better but still not very satisfying.

Mostly I try to offer the rooms as some kind of shortcut or a tactical element so the Survivors can decide if they want to use them. It kind of works on this map but it's not ideal for sure.

Moving the green objective could help. In which room would you move it?

Have you tried the map yet?

Not yet, and I'm sure I would be very very quick to finish such a Quest 6-7 turns: straight to the bile pool.
I would move the X in the north-west corner, whose building's doors I would move onto the spawned street Zones
Thinking about it, I would turn the South-west T-tile 90° clockwise to get more spawn into this key building.
For the same reason, the east part of the map might be revamped as well to force a big reveal to the dragon biles. (north-east L-tile 90° clockwise again, and the green door in the north, on the edge-opening. Everything occurs then in the north starting tile, so another revamping might be needed to force some moving around... Maybe a wall-ish blue door to force a south opening of this big east building, instead of moving the green door)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played that scenario yesterday and it was really a lot of fun. Good design...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.