Subject: Birth token... Some useless action ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello,

I'm wondering again... If in the first cycle i develop the birth Tech. And if i have no token disease, hunger or O2 at the end of cycles (comp. mode) :

Begining cycle 2 : 2 birth token
Begining cycle 3 : 4 birth token, i take the 4th colonist then i have only 1 birth token left.
Begining cycle 4 : 3 useless birth token on the board
Begining cycle 5 : 5 useless birth token on the board

It's weird to have to think about taking birth token, put on the board with no purpose...

If a colonist died, for example Cycle 3, so :

Begining cycle 4 : 1 birth token
Begining cycle 5 : 3 birth token : Sure we can rebirth the died colonist with the 3 birth token ? If we can, then these not be useless anymore.

I think it is a side effect of a coop game become competitive game.

This not make the game less good but it's strange to do things for nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RedImp Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
As soon as the fourth colonist token is unlocked, further birthrate tokens are placed in the quarters subject to normal rules, but they will not be used in any way. We do not want to limit the growth of the colony, since there may be an expansion or new scenarios that might use the extra birthrate tokens.

As for now you may use the home rule that says that after unlocking the fourth colonist token you do not have to place any more birthrate tokens in the quarters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes i'm going to do that, the "birth tech" is useless after round 3 too. It's still profitable to have the 4th colonist, sure. I'm waiting for an expansion !

I didn't do the KS (miss it), it's regrettable because i would have the secret goals... I won't miss an expansion.

Thanks for your answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you have the birth tech you can get 1 birth token from it, not worry to remove all tokens from the quarters every cycle and still get a 4th colonist token at the start of the 4th cycle, can't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something concerning "superfluous" birth rate tokens I have been wondering about quite some time:

Unless I am missing some tiny rule you cannot use 3 birth rate tokens to flip a skull-side colonist token to the normal side (after unlocking the fourth colonist token, that is).
Thematically, the new-born colonists could replace those that died of suffocation (or whatever killd them off). But it seems you can't do that.

@REDIMP: Has such a rule been tried and dismissed while developing the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
philippe C.
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What i read : such rule was true in the beginning, but the rules change and now it's impossible, i don't know why, it's thematic and only for the 5th round, so why this rule was dismissed ? I don't know. Maybe i'm going to try to play with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaps31 wrote:
What i read : such rule was true in the beginning, but the rules change and now it's impossible, i don't know why, it's thematic and only for the 5th round, so why this rule was dismissed ? I don't know. Maybe i'm going to try to play with it.

Had one of those shower thoughts yesterday: Implementing such a mechanic would break the urge to satisfy the needs of your colonists. You could calculate when dead colonists will be "revived" and thus ignore the production of food, oxygen and medicine in favor of other actions for the round preceding that event. The dead colonists would be replaced anyway, which is sort of gamey and would break the theme as well as the tight resource management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.