Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=lp_13553230011_gbps_rlm_s-3_008...

Some games are heavily discounted, some not so much. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len S
United States
Slingerlands
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...Thebes for $34.19 is a STEAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LCS213 wrote:
Wow...Thebes for $34.19 is a STEAL.

And Amerigo for nearly the same price? Even more! The box for this game is quite large.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Guida
United States
Gwynn Oak
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much why I have stopped backing any Queen games on Kickstarter, can get them so much cheaper afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340
mbmbmbmbmb

Kingdom Builder Nomads for $18?! Works for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Milton
United States
Reading
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been eyeing Chicago Express for awhile now but still not ready to pull the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parfum for $22 is beautiful. We love the game and a friend wanted to pick it up, so I just bought it for him thanks to your post! The expansion really opens up the game a bit more, so now to track down a second version of that... Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wilczewski
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
CoffinDancr wrote:
I've been eyeing Chicago Express for awhile now but still not ready to pull the trigger.

A mistake IMO. The game is excellent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love me some Queen's Architect, still one of my favs.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alenen wrote:
CoffinDancr wrote:

A mistake IMO. The game is excellent!

Gladly will second that. I picked it up blind from a recommendation on Reddit and it was one of the best blind buys. At that price, it's completely beyond worth it! If you have iOS, you can check out "Wabash Canonball", which is (I believe) the first iteration of "Chicago Express". It doesn't replicate the board game, of course, but you can get a feel for some of the mechanics!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rugbydave wrote:
Parfum for $22 is beautiful. We love the game and a friend wanted to pick it up, so I just bought it for him thanks to your post! The expansion really opens up the game a bit more, so now to track down a second version of that... Thanks!
What does the Secret Essences expansion add to the game? I went to the listing for the expansion and the only pic of the rules was of a german rule sheet.

EDIT: Nevermind... I found the rules on the KS page. Seems like this expansion would make the game easier which is my only real gripe about Parfum (that it's too easy). However, I've only played the game with 2p. With 2p you pretty much have an endless supply of water droplets. Meaning you can always reroll or alter dice. Which in turn means you'll almost never miss a roll over the course of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanilla Ice
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've had Amerigo and Nomads sitting in my cart at these prices for a few days, so this is definitely a multi day sale.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Wilson
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hadn't really thought of Queen games in any way before. Now I think I realize there aren't any must buys when it comes to Queen games for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtSagara1001 wrote:

EDIT: Nevermind... I found the rules on the KS page. Seems like this expansion would make the game easier which is my only real gripe about Parfum (that it's too easy). However, I've only played the game with 2p. With 2p you pretty much have an endless supply of water droplets. Meaning you can always reroll or alter dice. Which in turn means you'll almost never miss a roll over the course of the game.

Admittedly, the game is not for everyone (though it's a bite trite to say, as that can be said for almost any game), but in this case, it is due to some of the randomness of the game. We actually enjoy the liberal use of the water tokens, because that adds in to our strategy 0 you can't really hoard water tokens in the game, because you have to discard down to 4 tokens at the end of each round. Also, you can use the water tokens to mitigate some of the randomness. You can do more with less actions and then you can change your wake-up time in order to accomplish more the next day. That said, we just really enjoy the game, because it's one of those lighter games that we can pull it after dinner, or on a beautiful evening on the deck - it's got enough meat to keep us full, but it's not so heavy that we're overloaded. Choosing between when to wake up, when to alter rolls, when to complete flacons, when to sell parfums and who to sell them to keeps us quite busy!

We enjoy playing with the expansion, but we're also probably in the minority of gamers in that, we don't necessarily play to win or lose, we just love spending time with people we love and laughing and having fun. That said, we prefer our games to almost always be a series of appetizers versus a nice heavy meal. It's not for everyone, that's for sure and the expansion may not benefit you. Overall the game is not difficult by any means, but I don't think it's ever attempting to be. I can definitely see why it wasn't a major seller, but we really enjoy it, though we'd never play it with more than 2P.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still thinking about kingdom builder...i know it's a classic area control game..but does it still good compared to the many new area control games out there??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
Still thinking about kingdom builder...i know it's a classic area control game..but does it still good compared to the many new area control games out there??
I played 4 games over the weekend with a newer player (my sister). She just put things down the first two games, but then something clicked and after that, she considered the placement of each settlement with regard to how well it would score, and how each optional action would benefit her.

It slowed the game down, but it was well worth it to watch someone move from playing to play, to playing to win.

Highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rugbydave wrote:
SgtSagara1001 wrote:

Admittedly, the game is not for everyone (though it's a bite trite to say, as that can be said for almost any game). That said, we just really enjoy the game, because it's one of those lighter games that we can pull it after dinner, or on a beautiful evening on the deck - it's got enough meat to keep us full, but it's not so heavy that we're overloaded. We enjoy playing with the expansion, but we're also probably in the minority of gamers in that, we don't necessarily play to win or lose, we just love spending time with people we love and laughing and having fun. That said, we prefer our games to almost always be a series of appetizers versus a nice heavy meal. It's not for everyone, that's for sure and the expansion may not benefit you. Overall the game is not difficult by any means, but I don't think it's ever attempting to be. I can definitely see why it wasn't a major seller, but we really enjoy it!
Good thoughts, Dave. I get where you're coming from. I certainly don't want every game I play to be a brain-burner, multi-hour experience either. I think Parfum is probably at its best with 4p. From what I recall my issues with the game revolved around playing twice per round/turn when playing a 2p game. But admittedly I have very limited experience with Parfum (and again as only a 2p experience). Either way there is definitely some enjoyment to be had with Parfum for certain types of gamers (which as you pointed out is probably true of most any game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
rocky9555 wrote:
I played 4 games over the weekend with a newer player (my sister). She just put things down the first two games, but then something clicked and after that, she considered the placement of each settlement with regard to how well it would score, and how each optional action would benefit her.

It slowed the game down, but it was well worth it to watch someone move from playing to play, to playing to win.

Highly recommended.

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know how does this compare to China..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Ross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SgtSagara1001 wrote:
Good thoughts, Dave. I get where you're coming from. I certainly don't want every game I play to be a brain-burner, multi-hour experience either. I think Parfum is probably at its best with 4p. From what I recall my issues with the game revolved around playing twice per round/turn when playing a 2p game. But admittedly I have very limited experience with Parfum (and again as only a 2p experience). Either way there is definitely some enjoyment to be had with Parfum for certain types of gamers (which as you pointed out is probably true of most any game).

Sgt, I had edited my post a little to expand on some strategy points of the expansion and the base game while you were responding, my apologies! We really only play the game 2P, because I feel at 3P+ it would be really rough, especially with the market - you'd just be stuck with the dregs of what the first 2P did (in re: the notes and the market). Again, we haven't played with more than 2P, so this is just a thought. That said, we solely play this as a 2P endeavor! At $22, it's a definite buy for couples looking to play a lighter, non-'take-that!' type game that has enough meat to keep you lightly full!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for Treasure Hunter? It's my go to for new gamers. Just plain fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aaron belmer
United States
Webster Groves
St Louis
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancaster and Amerigo both amazing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rugbydave wrote:
SgtSagara1001 wrote:

Sgt, I had edited my post a little to expand on some strategy points of the expansion and the base game while you were responding, my apologies! We really only play the game 2P, because I feel at 3P+ it would be really rough, especially with the market - you'd just be stuck with the dregs of what the first 2P did (in re: the notes and the market). Again, we haven't played with more than 2P, so this is just a thought. That said, we solely play this as a 2P endeavor! At $22, it's a definite buy for couples looking to play a lighter, non-'take-that!' type game that has enough meat to keep you lightly full!
Thanks for the additional thoughts. This appears to be a case of "different strokes for different folks". In a 3 or 4 player game I suspect choosing turn order would be a difficult decision with consequences. Do you want to play as early as possible to have the most, best options, but risk not having enough actions to guarantee success? Or do you choose to play later so you will have many actions, but risk only having the leftovers? In a 2p game you always always want to go 1st because you have a second turn in that same round. And also because you're almost always selling perfume (which is often the primary reason to opt to go first). You don't ever really sacrifice actions by choosing to go 1st (which is supposed to be the downside of playing 1st) because you will have plenty of actions when you take your 2nd turn of the round. I think the game works as a 2p experience, but the decisions become easier and more "by the book". I enjoy light, quick games. But 2p games of Parfum leave me feeling the game is lighter than it was intended to be. If that makes sense? Anyhow, I'm glad it's a good fit for you and your wife! And I agree that $22 is a good price for this game for those who are interested in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you know how does (Kingdom Builer) compare to China..?
No, sorry. Never played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Whizkid wrote:
rocky9555 wrote:

Highly recommended.

I'll second the recommendation, though will also note that the game is very close to being an abstract game. To me this is in no way a bad thing (it's sincerely good as an abstract game), but as some folks find that off-putting it's worth mentioning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ri
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rugbydave wrote:
The expansion really opens up the game a bit more, so now to track down a second version of that...

Let me know if you find some. I've been looking for the expansion for a while now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.