$5.00
$15.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: I got one shot.... getting my wife and her friends into board games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are having a couple over friday who don't normally play board games but are big video gamers and I want to get them hooked so we can play games on the regular, i'm a sad board game hobbyist who have no friends to play with , all my friends prefer getting drunk and shooting guns unfortunately.

Problem is i want to actually appease my wife more then anyone else including her friends coming for dinner and i have a feeling if there is a game she enjoys they will enjoy. She is one of those people who is contagious with her fun and laughter... why i married her! I am going to bank on that.

With her love of Vikings (thats my wife!) i believe i have narrowed it down to the following:

A Feast for Odin: She really likes Caverna and Agricola but i am afraid of the complexity level of this game for people newer to board games...

Blood Rage: THe viking theme is strong, little concerned about being able to player eliminate/ruin peoples time. My wife likes games where she can make a plan and execute it, hates it when people "mess with her shit" as she says. WHy she hates game of thrones card game so much, so much sabotage.

Champions of Midgard: She is a big fan of Lord of Waterdeep and i feel like this might be the right balance to get everyone engaged without feeling to adversarial.

Am I missing anything? I am really open to opinions thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that party games are the best gateway games for the post dinner and drinks "you mean like monopoly?" crowd. I have yet to see even the most reticent person not get into Codenames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick something light, such as card game like Love Letter, or a board game like Carcassonne. If you pick something heavy and it goes over like a led sled, you may not get them back. Pick something light, and they may ask for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
... all my friends prefer getting drunk and shooting guns unfortunately.

Hopefully not in that order... surprise

A Feast for Odin is way too complex, surely.

The other two might work, hard to say without knowing the people, of course. But if your wife does not like games with "take that" stuff, then Blood Rage might not be the right kind of game. It's pretty directly and indirectly confrontational, after all.

Ignoring the viking theme, what about Codenames? Everyone likes that game.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Copy Imitator
msg tools
Goats are like mushrooms, if you shoot a duck I'm scared of toasters.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Codenames and Love Letter

I have yet to encounter someone who didn't like For Sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I love "A Feast for Odin", I wouldn't start with one of the heavy weights.

How about something quick and hilarious like DungeonQuest Revised Edition?
That one offers some tension and is always good for a lough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island or Castle Panic are nice for that setting. Co-op games that leave you feeling accomplished.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marcotf10 Marcotte
Canada
flag msg tools
A feast for Odin is definitely too much. Honestly, I think all those title are too ambitious for first time gamer. What about a few gateway games, like ticket to ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I find that party games are the best gateway games for the post dinner and drinks "you mean like monopoly?" crowd. I have yet to see even the most reticent person not get into Codenames.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Much as I want everyone to sit down and play Food Chain Magnate or Pax Pamir, reality has proven time and time again that party games are your best bet for getting people interested. And there are so many good party games out there these days that they're not excruciating to play. Then, once you've lured them in...

EDIT:

Sushi Go!
Balderdash
Say Anything
Love Letter
Codenames

I'd even be reluctant to play the likes of Ticket to Ride, Dixit or King of Tokyo or something of equal weight with non-gamers before party games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Girard
United States
Palmyra
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Celestia, Arcane Academy, Splendor, Mysterium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you go above gateway you are asking for trouble. Ticket to Ride and Codenames are good suggestions. I would also recommend Sushi Go! and Imhotep are also good gateway titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all fantastic info so far.

Ok definitely crossing a feast for odin off the list, maybe for just the wife and I later.

So, these peeps are no strangers to video games, they LOVE the dark souls series and my wifes friend is a 3D graphic designer.

They've played Love Letter before and For Sale, both games I have and I think are great but I see them as fillers. still need a main course! Really wanting to avoid games like ticket to ride etc.

Also knocking Blood Rage off the list if everyone thinks that the whole "take that thing" is really strong in it, i saw a review saying there were different strategies as in, purposely losing, placing your faction in certain places for ragnarok so its why i thought there was a chance.

Codenames eh?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bring the video games to the table with Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game. That's a nice gateway game for VG addicts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they like beer and guns I doubt Love Letter will hook them.

Pandemic or Forbidden Desert would probably please them more. Maybe Tobago. Needs the cool component factor or an epic feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boze wrote:
...still need a main course...

There's a lot of fun to be had in an evening of fillers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a viking theme in a light package, try Vikings on Board. It even has cool viking minis!

Edit: And 3-D ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Howard
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So many good responses, but I would add Coup.
A couple of my friends really didn't think they would have fun and quickly got into Coup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they love video games, what about Bloodborne: The Card Game? They might have even played the video game version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Bring the video games to the table with Boss Monster: The Dungeon Building Card Game. That's a nice gateway game for VG addicts.

This guy gets it. Boss Monster is the perfect choice for this specific situation, specifically because of the cool 8-bit graphics and the video game nods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finn Balor
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
I recently had a situation where we had a mix of gamers and new gamers and we played a mix of games too.

For fillers, we played Codenames: Pictures and Coup, both of which have been mentioned before.

Our main game for the evening was Shadows over Camelot.

I would definitely throw shadows over Camelot as a recommendation for your situation. I think it might play better with 5 or 6, but it should work with 4 too.

- You can choose to play either purely co-op or with traitors, depending on your group, so that's good.
- The theme and "quests" portion of the game should appeal to the videogame fans as well, I think
- It is not too complex mechanically, so the new gamers should be able to get into it after a turn or two
- Being a co-op, it allows for a lot of interaction and table talk, which helps new gamers too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't be a hero. Go for a light, popular gateway crowdpleaser as many have suggested above. Think Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Catan etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Ask your wife! She would have the best notion of what her friends would like, and what she likes If she really likes Waterdeep, why not just play that? It's a gateway game, you already know she enjoys it, if you're both familiar with the rules it will be easier to teach newcomers, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know that I'm anything like your wife (other than also being a wife), but I'm a relatively new gamer interested in playing Loony Quest after spotting it at a game cafe recently and when I took a look at a review video they pointed out how video-game-esque it is. Might appeal to your whole group as a fun opener?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo. I've used this as an introductory game so many times, and every time it's gone down well. I have literally never had a 'dud' game of it. This was also the first game I bought as I was vectoring into boardgames from videogames. You are looking to hook videogamers sooooo.....

Tsuro. You cannot get simpler than this (ok, snakes and ladders maybe, but c'mon), and even though its not much of a game of skill, people still find it really fun and usually want to play it 2-3 times in a row.

If you absolutely must pick between Blood Rage and Champions of Midgard, well you have a bit of a dilemma. Blood Rage's figures and combat will appeal to the videogamers, but the playtime could stretch well beyond 2 hours which will be lethal. CoM should play a bit quicker, but it has less visual appeal and the worker-placement mechanic may require some explaining to people completely new to the hobby.

Err.... Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan B.
United States
Shelby Township
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first game I stopped at on your game list was Citadels. It probably would be a great starting point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.