Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Over the last few weeks there were several threads that I either started or participated in, discussing different ways to spice up your adventure mode experience to get away from the somewhat boring routine of quest / trap, quest / trap.
What I hope we can achieve is a set of cards that create a toolbox, everyone can use to build their own adventures - just think trap cards, but more open, with a much wider range of things that you can use to breathe life into your game world.

To demonstrate what I'm aiming at, I'll repost 2 card example from another thread:

I know that it is a lot of work to come up with such things, but I was thinking: We already have a lot of events, because we already have quite a few community created modules. So please, module writers (and of course anyone else). Post your ideas or concept of events you'd like to see.

My personal agenda atm is to turn most of my Twisting Catacombs Scenery into Realm Tile Events and I'll post them here as I go along. If you people like the card format, I can also create a template (the cards above are just repurposed trap cards).

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Tobi - a suggestion for you that I think will help out the community. You create some incredibly awesome content for Myth. It would be great if there were a central location for ALL your ideas. My "ask" is for you to create a GeekList of all your creations so folks can subscribe and have links to each thread containing content. It would make it so much easier to take advantage of your work if it was easier to find.

With JM wave2 just around the corner, I suspect there'll be a renewed interest in this flawed gem of a game. Having your content cataloged in a GeekList would be great.

... back to on topic content. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second MM's ask please!

This is cool. "See we read your other comments. "

Your stuff is always pretty thought out. I have your monsterlings on cards for instance, but haven't used them enough yet to comment on it. I don't know how other folks are but unless I sit down and play it I can't really provide more input on a TCC item. That's Tobi Created Content whistle . You are on another plane of creative talent my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of these cards appear to function as normal traps. Other cards seem to be more of an add-on to an existing card that may or may not contain trap. There’re a couple of minor typos but it’s nice conceptual and graphic work. You might want to work this out for Printerstudio so that people could print cards.

Cocoons – First does anybody have that many web tokens? Secondly I assume that this is a tile for driving through and then abandoning versus clearing the entire tile. Because with this many effective lairs to attack it’s a never-ending set of enemies so I can’t see you destroying every single web on the tile. I like this idea.

Dark Rift – The dark rift requires the hero and his friends to defeat the agent --presumably the one that does the killing blow gets the red token and then he has to make three successful noncombat actions to defeat the trap. This seems reasonable but effectively amounts to it trap that includes an agent and a lair so it’s bad but it’s not as frightening as the web’s are to me.

Ritual circle – presumably when a boss card is turned, the boss isn’t spawned. Instead only his abilities are used. Presumably in destroying the ritual circle the characters were either have to take damage and fire off big attacks or they’ll have to take a long time to eliminate the circle while the captain is hitting them. It would be interesting and I’m not sure what level of difficulty it is. This will be much easier if the party has a healer.

Locked door – Unlike the other traps this one doesn’t seem to require that it would be the sole focus of the heroes on the tile. It’s an interesting mechanic for a locked door -- something we don’t have in the game but should. I’m just not sure it constitutes an actual trap so you might possibly have some other trap on the tile at the same time. This is a cool twist to add to an already populated tile.

Elite kite squad –First thing to say is that ‘measure’ is spelled wrong -- only one s. So this is a super lair that spawns monsters that are more powerful than normal. It’s also a lair that’s more difficult than normal to hit and has a lot of vitality. I say as long as there isn’t too much else on the tile it would give us a good challenge. It’s the sort of thing that could get out of control but that’s true for a lot of other stuff in Myth.

Rusty portcullis – this is another super lair that spawns in each darkness cycle. To deactivate requires one noncombat action with a target number of seven. The trick is that you can’t attempt to perform the noncombat action if there is a monster on either of the quest tokens. It’s an interesting mechanic, it doesn’t seem too overpowered, and one can imagine other stuff on the tile at the same time.

Gibbet (spelling?) – While this resembles a trap, it’s more of an impediment to the characters working the tile. The rewards are interesting, not overpowered good or terribly bad. One can envision this being something you add to an already populated tile to increase the threat level just a little. However if you placed this as a trap, this and the locked door are both traps you would certainly pick as opposed to almost anything else available. Therefore it might be a good idea to put these in a new category. Perhaps the category is tile add-on that doesn’t actually require an icon on the legend.

Ravine – The ravine is certainly unique. How difficult it plays depends on whether it’s necessary to get to the other side before the monsters are cleared. If not the obvious tactic is to kill the ranged monsters and let the others kill themselves. So this is either an interesting tactical puzzle or this makes an existing tile much much harder if the characters must get to the other side.

Cursed Graves – first the set up should say ‘place 4 quest tokens’ plural. Secondly it’s not clear whether equipping the quest token -- the red rune -- in the primary slot means the weapons lot or the shield slot? This is also going to be very difficult if you don’t happen to have an acolyte. If you do the acolyte is going to be working this trap while the rest of the characters handle the rest of the tile. It’s an interesting mechanic and worthy of being the focus of the tile. I wouldn’t suggest you have to much else on the tile except possibly for a hunting party or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
Tobi - a suggestion for you that I think will help out the community. You create some incredibly awesome content for Myth. It would be great if there were a central location for ALL your ideas. My "ask" is for you to create a GeekList of all your creations so folks can subscribe and have links to each thread containing content. It would make it so much easier to take advantage of your work if it was easier to find.

With JM wave2 just around the corner, I suspect there'll be a renewed interest in this flawed gem of a game. Having your content cataloged in a GeekList would be great.

... back to on topic content. cool

Thanks MM! I think that's a great idea. My modus operandi atm is:

1) Make thread to post idea
2) Check if people are interested
3) Make example card and post
4) Hope, I can see my own idea through
5) Finish everything and post in download section

I know, I've some unfinished business (Darkborne says hi) but as I do this for fun, I sometimes find another idea so much more interesting so I persue that before the old stuff is all wrapped up.

It often is your feedback and - hopefully - enthusiasm that helps me to finish at least some of my projects. Thank you, thank you, thank you for that.

I will try to follow your suggestion and create a geeklist. I've never done it, but I hope I'll find my way through!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
steprov wrote:
I second MM's ask please!

This is cool. "See we read your other comments. "

Your stuff is always pretty thought out. I have your monsterlings on cards for instance, but haven't used them enough yet to comment on it. I don't know how other folks are but unless I sit down and play it I can't really provide more input on a TCC item. That's Tobi Created Content whistle . You are on another plane of creative talent my friend.

Hehe... although that comment wasn't actually ment as a complaint! On the other hand, though, I really, really appreciate any feedback and I'm very curious to hear, what people have to say, when they actual use the stuff I've created and if their experience is what I have envisioned it to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon: Thank you for your time and feedback! Really appreciated. The cards are more or less alpha version. I have an idea and throw it out there to ne discussed. When this project finishes, I will go over all the cards again.

These things I'm still not certain about:

- How to name things. Do I use the term "4 quest tokens" when refering to e.g. the Dark Rift, or do I use the term "Dark Rift". My initial feeling was, that refering to the tokens directly was more clear, but I'm just not sure.

- Theme / fluff: How generic / specific should the events be?

- Is there format ok in general? Should I divide setup / rules into 2 distinct sections? Should I do 2 sided cards, so there is more room?

Again, thank you for reading through all that stuff and giving your thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can keep it on 1 side that will be great. I am still planning on using these as a way to "deal" a story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevie P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you could color bar or fancy boarder the setup activation and deactivation to give the card more pizzazz? I think leave the map and the reward as is.
Kinda more like a quest card. Keep the labels though like setup: so we don't have to remember that the green bar means setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:
carbon_dragon: Thank you for your time and feedback! Really appreciated. The cards are more or less alpha version. I have an idea and throw it out there to ne discussed. When this project finishes, I will go over all the cards again.

These things I'm still not certain about:

- How to name things. Do I use the term "4 quest tokens" when refering to e.g. the Dark Rift, or do I use the term "Dark Rift". My initial feeling was, that refering to the tokens directly was more clear, but I'm just not sure.

- Theme / fluff: How generic / specific should the events be?

- Is there format ok in general? Should I divide setup / rules into 2 distinct sections? Should I do 2 sided cards, so there is more room?

Again, thank you for reading through all that stuff and giving your thoughts!

I'd use quest tokens to be clearer. You're already explaining what the quest tokens represent. I think the format is OK but some of your cards come off as "challenge enhancers" rather than traps. You might want a locked door even if there is another trap and so on. You might want to come up with your own type of new card just to add to the tile without a legend symbol.

It's a weakness to try to put everything on a card. We get that weakness from Myth's starting stuff. Really I think this stuff should be in a book so that it could be explained better. Given that you're using cards (as Myth does) you are doing at least as well as Megacon does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nimmzwei wrote:

Very interesting. Bloodstone is totally different which is good.

Impenetrable darkness – crippling to archers
Forboding – sign marker spelled sign maker
Suffocating Gas – loses is mispelled
Impending doom – too great a penalty for the party -- lose 1 Serendipity or maybe 2
Death Toll – problem for druid unless he can take from his gear. Also some heroes seldom do damage

Multiple omen activations on a tile could become very hard. If you clear a tile while 1 is active and the rest have 1 or two tokens, the whole thing is gone right?

Great show of imagination!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, when you manage to clear a tile with active omen(s), all the other omens and their tokens are gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these Tobias, but again they don't seem like traps even though you have them in that form. They're more like a new class of card -- call it the terrain card. If we consider it a new class of card then anybody populating a tile can add as many terrain cards as they like to the tile. Maybe it would make it a little harder, maybe it would make a little easier, maybe it would just make it more interesting.

You might even be able to make a card for each terrain counter that Myth normally supplies in the box. You might want to make the cards look a little different though so they don't look like traps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Blogs
United Kingdom
Alaska
flag msg tools
Tobias, I love the idea of these cards. As David said, more 'Event' or 'Situation' cards than traps - but I like the look of them.

Did this project even get completed? Is it available as a download, or even better, as a print run option on PrinterStudios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jaffab wrote:
Tobias, I love the idea of these cards. As David said, more 'Event' or 'Situation' cards than traps - but I like the look of them.

Did this project even get completed? Is it available as a download, or even better, as a print run option on PrinterStudios?

It is now part of "MYTH: Dungeons". The cards also evolved quite a bit. They are now called "Realm Object" cards. Here is an example card:

The "event" parts of the cards have been moved to the new dungeon / quest cards.

Let me know, if you have any other questions. Perhaps ask them over in the "MYTH: Dungeons" thread. I think, I saw you there, already!

Thanks for your interest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.