Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With the purchase of Omens I now have all the published expansions. I intend to play them as a sort of campaign.

Elder Sign/Unseen forces: The campaign begins in the museum in Arkham as the first indications of the Great Ones are seeking a way back...

If successful we will leave the museum and head out into the streets, only to discover the Old One has not been stopped and is still seeking a way back.

Gates of Arkham: Completing the gates of Arkham reveal a terrible secret, we thought we had thwarted it, but no, we have discovered that it is planning to rise in the Artic! We must prepare an expedition to the frozen north and against all odds and defeat it!

Omens of Ice: Completing this will complete the campaign.

I am thinking we will try using the same Old One in each expansion game - seems more thematic - may start with an easy one from the original game - as I know Omens is tough (we are yet to beat it). At the end of each expansion the collected Elder signs are removed.

We also play with a suggestion from this forum - sorry can't remember who suggested it - but collected Elder Signs are kept with the characters, if they are devoured so are the Signs - keeps our players more focused on character survival.

I am thinking playing like this makes use of all the Elder Sign stuff.

Anyone done anything similar? Suggestions if you have?

Wish us luck as we enter the doors of the Miskatonic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the expansion Elder Sign: Grave Consequences would also be good in this mix. Especially if you're going to trash Signs with devoured investigators, the Phobias will make devouring less likely, and they would persist from game to game, providing some further continuity and character development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your suggestions - Grave consequences looks good - just waiting for a reasonably cheap copy to appear over here in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do use Grave Consequences, I suggest house ruling the phobias to trigger at either 1 or 2 sanity instead of refilling your sanity when you get them, which defeats the purpose and changes the balance of the game.

Also I don't care for the Epic Battles part of the expansion, but you might like it.

I like the idea of investigators carrying their own Elder Signs, that is really cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
United Kingdom
Driffield
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chris, I will bear that in mind when I pick up Grave Consequences. I can't claim credit for the characters carrying Elder Signs but I can state it makes players invest more in their characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.