Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never had need of speaking with a lawyer before, but I do now. I have a hard time believing that they're all created equal, and I have no idea how to go about finding one that will balance cost and competency. Is a Google search really the best way? Is there anyone here in the Bowling Green/Toledo/Findlay (Ohio) area who can recommend one (or is one him/herself)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you checked under any rocks?

(Sorry- cheap shot...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
No lawyer advice, but you know we're all wondering - is this related to the lost weiner dog incident?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal recommendations or you can look at something like Avvo.com.

I'm not a fan of free consultations because I think that is just the lawyer trying to sell you on something. Do a consult or few and go with a lawyer your comfortable with. The biggest thing is making sure you know what is going on and the lawyer has a reasonable plan to move your case forward.

I would highly recommend you hire someone that the area of law is their main practice area. They don't need to be 'certified' or anything special, but you want that to be what they do. People that dable in one area or another just create unnecessary problems and expense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I've heard from lawyers is that personal recommendations are the best way to proceed. Good luck, and here's hoping things turn out okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loungehead wrote:
Is there anyone here in the Bowling Green/Toledo/Findlay (Ohio) area who can recommend one (or is one him/herself)?
You might want to give some idea what type of lawyer you need. A divorce lawsuit is different from a personal injury lawsuit which is different from estate planning, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Have you checked under any rocks?

(Sorry- cheap shot...)
naughty!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually they are in the car right behind the speeding ambulance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
No lawyer advice, but you know we're all wondering - is this related to the lost weiner dog incident?

I wish! But no, I need to consult with someone before making a decision ... getting my proverbial dachsund a row, as it were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan McMurray
United States
Rudolph
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
You might want to give some idea what type of lawyer you need. A divorce lawsuit is different from a personal injury lawsuit which is different from estate planning, etc.

Also true. It's the former in this case. What I need is likely fairly generic information, but yeah, getting someone with that specialty would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mb
You might be surprised how many time over the years I have seen people turn to BoardGameGeek for legal advice.
I don't in any way recommend that, but it's interesting that the community apparently evokes such feelings of trust that people canvass the forums for answers to questions regarding the law.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew W.
United States
Monessen
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Taoist, Pittsburgh Sports fan, and welcoming to people who are kind, from any walk of life.
badge
I have been playing games since the Atari 2600, Candy Land, Chuttes and Ladders, Go Fish, & the Apple ii. Supporting "the Geek" since 2006
mbmbmbmbmb
No advice from me, but I am sorry that life is working out to make these circumstances necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vondra
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree on asking friends, including local on-line friends, but, while I'm not asking about your personal situation (and if you need an attorney, don't discuss the problem on a public board like BGG) but make sure your lawyer is active in that speciality. You don't want a Personal Injury attorney tying up your house closing or your Wills & Trusts firm on a criminal charge.

edit: I really should read the earlier replies before chiming in! But, yeah, what they said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It goes along with personal recommendations, but if you start with a lawyer who's not specializing in your concerns, they are likely to have recommendations of their own from networking and reputations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A 100 seat bus filled with lawyers ran off a cliff with no survivors. The tragedy - there were two empty seats. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
A personal injury lawyer?

Talk to several. Initial consult should be free, then do not go with the one who assures you it's a slam dunk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
1,000 Lawyers 'chained together' on the 'bottom' of the Ocean ..."is a good start!" They have the 'company' of 'bass turds' already "present".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
mbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Find an auto accident and wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Find an auto accident and wait.

Ask your friends and family and other professionals you respect if they can recommend an attorney for the specific area of law for which you need to be represented. Also, pick a few out of the phone book or internet - the objective is to get a good mix. Set up appointments with them for initial consultations and get a feel for their personality and general competence (you can weigh what each one says off the others' responses to the same questions). Take notes.

If your friends and family are a wash, you could try calling up a local law school and see who they recommend. It also wouldn't hurt to check the bar for your state to see who may have complaints against them (if complaints are public).

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
A 100 seat bus filled with lawyers ran off a cliff with no survivors. The tragedy - there were two empty seats. shake

What have you got against bus drivers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jbrecken wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

What have you got against bus drivers?

Uh, he jumped out before the cliffcool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.