6 Posts

Isle of Trains» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wild cards loaded into car rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jon larsen
msg tools
Here's an example;

Level 1 engine is a wild card when it comes to loading - it can be either coal/oil/box. It was loaded onto a tanker car and scored my opponent the 'draw +3 card' bonus for loading oil. It does NOT BECOME an oil card, if I want to use if for a contact...it can still be ANY TYPE of good. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Nugent
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't have the game rules in front of me, but how we have always played it is that if it is in an oil tanker it is oil, regardless of symbols on the card.
Once a wild card is loaded into a certain car it loses its other potentials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This situation is answered in Storing a wild load on the 'Store 1 Load' Caboose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijon wrote:
Here's an example;

Level 1 engine is a wild card when it comes to loading - it can be either coal/oil/box. It was loaded onto a tanker car and scored my opponent the 'draw +3 card' bonus for loading oil. It does NOT BECOME an oil card, if I want to use if for a contact...it can still be ANY TYPE of good. Right?

That is incorrect.

Once loaded into an oil tanker, the "wild" is oil.

There is one caboose which allows you to store 1 good. When loading a wild into that caboose you need not declare what it is... you may choose it's type when delivering from that caboose. But that's the only time you can have a "wild" that is loaded on a train and not be able to tell what good it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jon larsen
msg tools
First - designer reply - rock on! Appreciate the personal touch.

Next - the situations I like least in games are where it's 90-95% clear that there's a RIGHT way but there's no actual instruction anyway--whether in the rules proper, supplemental examples, ancillary info such as card descriptions...or anywhere else in the game package.

Really breaks the flow of the game. Would've thought this kind of thing had come up during playtest. I can understand there's some amount of stylistic choice to be made in how to write rules--and for me this is a basic turn order explanation which as such should be in the written rules. The caboose detail would then be mentioned as an exception on the card description sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedijon wrote:
First - designer reply - rock on! Appreciate the personal touch.

Next - the situations I like least in games are where it's 90-95% clear that there's a RIGHT way but there's no actual instruction anyway--whether in the rules proper, supplemental examples, ancillary info such as card descriptions...or anywhere else in the game package.

Really breaks the flow of the game. Would've thought this kind of thing had come up during playtest. I can understand there's some amount of stylistic choice to be made in how to write rules--and for me this is a basic turn order explanation which as such should be in the written rules. The caboose detail would then be mentioned as an exception on the card description sheet.

It's been a while since I read the rules, but I think it IS explicit...

Loading wild: You can load a card as if it's a different type...
Load: You can put the right stuff in the right car...

So you can only put oil in a tanker, and if you discard a card when loading you can pretend that any card is an Oil.

The caboose is an exception, and I think it says so.

You can tell by looking at the board what resources people have on their train, even if you see face don cards... the only exception being a face down card in that one caboose (which is WHY it's an exception, otherwise you would have to remember what you chose when you loaded it, which is lame).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.